The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre Order

Godfrey

Oh so you have a REAL job. LOL
Sadly, yes. Until I retire. Soon, I hope. ;-)

Actual Amazon is far easier on the return and 30 days, more important almost immediate refund. B&H you got 14 days and slow on the refund. I"ll do what I always do as B&H always pops some in on sale during first batch. I can't tell you how many times I did that trick
I agree that it's easier to return stuff to Amazon, but they've become very problematic on shipping. I cannot tell them what shipper I want to use ... they set that themselves ... and the last three shipments to my address have been problems because they're using their own local shipper to get the job done. And they suck - no door tags, no contact information, things get dropped into the foyer of the building with no notice, or they're not delivered at all, etc. One time, two days after I'd given up on the purchase and reported it as "not delivered" to Amazon, I see this guy walking in the hall with a big Amazon box taking a drag on some weed...

stoner: "Hey man, you know where number 101 is?"
me: "That's my unit. Is this package for me?"
stoner: "Must be. Here."
me: "Don't you need me to sign for it?"
stoner: "Naa, it's cool."
me: "How'd you get into the building?"
stoner: "I followed some dude with a dog in when the door was open."
me: "I see. ..."

I won't buy from a vendor with such stupid delivery problems, it's not worth the hassle.

I buy from B&H, Adorama, and various others as well as good vendors on Ebay. FedEx, UPS, USPS always deliver properly. Never have as much trouble as I've been having with Amazon.

G

V

Vivek

It is odd. when the Euro was strong, they sold the A7r/7here first. Now the $ is strong they sell it in the U.S. first. The new products aren't listed here and no prices are known.

iiiNelson

Sadly, yes. Until I retire. Soon, I hope. ;-)

I agree that it's easier to return stuff to Amazon, but they've become very problematic on shipping. I cannot tell them what shipper I want to use ... they set that themselves ... and the last three shipments to my address have been problems because they're using their own local shipper to get the job done. And they suck - no door tags, no contact information, things get dropped into the foyer of the building with no notice, or they're not delivered at all, etc. One time, two days after I'd given up on the purchase and reported it as "not delivered" to Amazon, I see this guy walking in the hall with a big Amazon box taking a drag on some weed...

stoner: "Hey man, you know where number 101 is?"
me: "That's my unit. Is this package for me?"
stoner: "Must be. Here."
me: "Don't you need me to sign for it?"
stoner: "Naa, it's cool."
me: "How'd you get into the building?"
stoner: "I followed some dude with a dog in when the door was open."
me: "I see. ..."

I won't buy from a vendor with such stupid delivery problems, it's not worth the hassle.

I buy from B&H, Adorama, and various others as well as good vendors on Ebay. FedEx, UPS, USPS always deliver properly. Never have as much trouble as I've been having with Amazon.

G
Makes me happy to be out of California...

k-hawinkler

It is odd. when the Euro was strong, they sold the A7r/7here first. Now the $ is strong they sell it in the U.S. first. The new products aren't listed here and no prices are known.
I wouldn't call it odd, Vivek.
Maybe Sony needs to make money?

V

Vivek

Yeah, that is the biggest market in the world and yes, K-H is right. was just making an observation.

Annna T

There is a price announced for Germany : 3'500 €, but for Switzerland, the price is to be fixed. Anyway, these prices (at least here) are always higher than what you get in real life. Only a few brick and mortar shops apply those "advised" prices.

Here is a link to the German press release, Preis ist "unverbindlich" and is indicated near the end of the release :
http://d20tdhwx2i89n1.cloudfront.net/image/upload/t_attachment/ete2puu7xb4sa5vokxou.pdf

On the Swiss release, they state that the price in Euro is for Europa and that the "empfohlene" price for Switzerland will be communicated later. Here you go :

http://d20tdhwx2i89n1.cloudfront.net/image/upload/t_attachment/iehsnq1gao7lxtldaoee.pdf

V

Vivek

That certainly is a sign of things to come. Sony site here still lists the older A7 cams at pretty exorbitant prices while outside the prices have crashed. Will wait an year before deciding. :)

I'm anxious to try out the new body, but I always have this weird feeling... like maybe they're still working out some kinks in production over the first few thousand units, so I'll probably hold off until a couple weeks after they start showing up.

vjbelle

Agree..... Its always best to wait a little for the kinks to sort themselves out. Looks like a very interesting body.

Victor

V

Vivek

Sony might have a good idea of the target market. *If* it so happens that the majority would rarely or never use the video feature on this, how about a camera without that and for a better price? They could even consider making that a playstaion app and ask them to pay the difference.

jfirneno

I'm going to rent it from lensrentals.com sometime in August or September. I'll be evaluating the AF to see whether it's DSLR level yet. If it is then I'll be selling off my Sony A-850 and some bits and pieces I won't need anymore. Not that they'll be worth much, but gotta make room for the new kit. I probably won't get the A7R II. More interested in an A7S II. But this rental will tell me if the AF technology is now mature. If not then more waiting.

V

Vivek

Smart move. I wish the lensrentals folks would open a branch in Europe. If they use Amazon, Apple, Strawbucks, IKEA, etc business models they do not even have to pay any taxes or pay very little.