The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre Order

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Funny just went to Frys electronics to get a A6000 as I really need a backup for a gig next month and I already sold my A7r. So just the a7ii right now. Funny thing though went to get just a body for 548.00 and they had two little signs A6000 16-50 for 598.00 and in a second case same thing for 698.00. Hell for 50 bucks I'll grab the lens too. But these stores are so screwed up the signs where 3 ft apart, don't you think they would notice it. It's brand new too not a open box. My plan actually is have the new A7rIi and keep the A6000 for backup. Sell my A7II.

Reason why is the A7RII really replaces my A7II where the A7r feel short of doing that. So reality is one body is really replacing two and I can put the extra money towards the two Batis lenses.

If the reality here as good as or better than a A6000 than that's huge for AF capabilities

Pradeep

I have mine on order from Allen's Camera in PA. Been using them for 9 yrs now and they are amazing. Same price as B&H, no tax and free shipping to NY. Often getting the orders in BEFORE the big players. Excellent service - they will call you when the item comes in and you can opt out then if you like, no charges until you confirm you want it and then it arrives at your doorstep the next evening. Couldn't be happier.

k-hawinkler

Sony might have a good idea of the target market. *If* it so happens that the majority would rarely or never use the video feature on this, how about a camera without that and for a better price? They could even consider making that a playstaion app and ask them to pay the difference.
I doubt this is a consideration for Sony, based on the interview with their manager that video constraints were an important part of specification.

Michiel Schierbeek

For € 3.500 this is sure an expensive baby.
Not sure if I am willing to pay the extra € 1.400 compared to the then new A7r.
Anyway not a first buyer this time, I think.

V

Vivek

+1 here Michiel. If I post anything about that extra figure you mentioned and what I plan to do with such figure, it would sound negative, so, will not.

I am very happy that the A7R II is here, good on Sony to offer it and look forward to the reports from the talented folks here.

The Ute

I was going to get one immediately but I decided to wait too.
For the present I have decided to invest in the new Batis 25mm.

k-hawinkler

:D :D :D

My guess, I'll have to start another thread like: "A7r II - and why I'm keeping it ..." :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Jim DE

Or worse yet... "why I am selling this camera" after stating a month earlier how it is the greatest thing since sliced bread..... then moving on to the next latest and greatest new techno widget only to do the same thing after a month or so.
It's a never ending insatiable cycle for some where satisfaction is never totally realized..... like a hamster on a wheel. But, it is great for the used buyers ..... nearly new cameras at significant discount.

The local guy's I know who's only income is their photography (like wedding guy's) use the same old gear which consist of 4 or 5 of the same bodies till the wheels literally fall off them.... their cameras are duct taped, 12mp or under cameras that maybe 4-5 years old. They can't afford to chase the latest and greatest nor do they want to use unfamiliar gear every two to three months. I do product photography part time but I have investments and a decent retirement from a fortune 500 major industry to rely on so my photography monies just help pay for more toys.

Guy Mancuso

For me this camera is more about the fixes I needed. I don't expect to change anytime soon to be honest. This looks to be it for me.

I'm done chasing pie in the sky and big rainbows. I just want a good working system.

Jim DE

Guy I was not referring to anyone specifically.... I just see this behavior all over the web. I fully understand the desire for a one body does all expectation..... sadly I have not found it either as I use 7 different bodies for their strengths and to avoid their weaknesses. I hope this a7rII is the all rounder we all want too.....

Guy Mancuso

I know, no worries at all but my true motivation on this body is getting the corrections and after that with all these new features. I really don't need anything more. I'm hoping this works. I don't complain much about cameras as others do and tend to stay a little quiet on my frustrations but the A7r started to get on my nerves with certain issues. Sync speed was not as advertised for one.

V

Vivek

Guy, the sync speed is always going to be less than what is advertised with a single point contact. Only with Sony system and compatible speedlights it will be as advertised. It is the way the new Sony flash shoe is configured.

hcubell

What are the odds of an A9 now that an A7RII has been announced? What bases would it cover that the A7RII does not?

k-hawinkler

What are the odds of an A9 now that an A7RII has been announced? What bases would it cover that the A7RII does not?

Great question.
I think it will be awhile before the A7R II needs updating - whatever they will call that.
But I suppose an A7S II soon still makes sense.