The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre Order

dandrewk

Does the A7R2 bring disruptive AF?
Yesterday DPR published this article. It was very easy for me to understand a few things that I had either wrong or unclear about AF.
Go the second page if you want to get there faster.

Opinion: Did Sony just do the impossible?: Digital Photography Review

No rainbow's end... yet.
Eduardo
I'm not sure what you mean by "no rainbow's end", but the mention of "disruptive AF" refers to the apparent ability of the A7R2 to autofocus with 3rd party glass as fast as those lenses do on their native bodies. It's only "disruptive" to Canon's and Nikon's revenues. ;)

This is an amazing OpEd piece. Dpreview rarely does these, and generally seems to have a pro-Canikon slant. Having this editorial be pro-Sony is, in itself, quite amazing.

... and it's heady stuff. Reading it puts into perspective the huge leap in digital image technology that Sony has accomplished. Even if it is a high end camera, it may very well be a "game changer", one that will be a notable point in the future evolution of photography.

dandrewk

It's amazing they spend so much time going over the "good points", and only mention IBIS and 4k video in passing. It shows how impressed they were with the new shutter, sensor and AF.

Annna T

I'm not sure what you mean by "no rainbow's end", but the mention of "disruptive AF" refers to the apparent ability of the A7R2 to autofocus with 3rd party glass as fast as those lenses do on their native bodies. It's only "disruptive" to Canon's and Nikon's revenues. ;)

This is an amazing OpEd piece. Dpreview rarely does these, and generally seems to have a pro-Canikon slant. Having this editorial be pro-Sony is, in itself, quite amazing.

... and it's heady stuff. Reading it puts into perspective the huge leap in digital image technology that Sony has accomplished. Even if it is a high end camera, it may very well be a "game changer", one that will be a notable point in the future evolution of photography.
Concerning DPreview being pro Canikon, I disagree. They like new technology and were raving about MFT when it was issued in 2009. Then again when the E-M5 was issued which was a game changer. They were lukewarm on the first Nex because of the menus. And on Fuji because of the slow AF.. But they are supporters of the mirrorless technology since the beginnings.

Uaiomex

Hi dan, I just said it because it is expected it won't be an outstanding low-light
shooter and it didn't get a true global shutter.... yet, which is considered to be the final achievement in regards of shutter performance.

Sony is truly improving in big leaps. This new sensor is now two full generations ahead of Canon's.

V

Vivek

Concerning DPreview being pro Canikon, I disagree. They like new technology and were raving about MFT when it was issued in 2009. Then again when the E-M5 was issued which was a game changer. They were lukewarm on the first Nex because of the menus. And on Fuji because of the slow AF.. But they are supporters of the mirrorless technology since the beginnings.
When did Amazon buy preview?

mazor

One observation: The latest FE 28/2 isn't that great on older NEX'. The Zony 24/1.8 is far better.
Thats good info to know! But then why it is do well on the full frame A7 series? Perhaps there is substantial lens correction algorithms taking place in the newer cameras?

mazor

hmm I suspect there maybe some erroneous language translations going on. Do not think it was meant as "Disruptive" lol

But I have to agree, if there was anything disruptive about Sony's new on-sensor PDAF for SLT and Canon EF, it would be most disruptive for Canon body sales.

dandrewk

Reading the article, he did say it was disruptive to Sony's DSLR competitors.

But yeah, an odd/ambiguous choice for the word.

ohnri

Disruptive is currently a hip word in technology and other areas.

Also, I imagine the A7rii will be very good in low light. That is one of the advantages of the BSI sensor.

-Bill

k-hawinkler

Thanks Bart. Excellent writeup.
They didn't mention one thing though and that is:

Initial price includes early access fee for new technology and 18 months or so of additional usage.
So, if after 18 months the price has dropped from $3200 to $1600 one has had the A7R II basically for a monthly fee of about $100.
I guess, everybody who could afford that high price has to decide whether that's worth it or not.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Why I have an A7rII on preorder?

Obviously, the A7rII is a bit pricey. On the other hand it has some features I need, or so I think. What I wanted:

• Short flange distance so I could use Canon T&S lenses
  • Significantly more pixels than the A99
  • Sensor like the one on the A99 having electronic first shutter curtain (EFCS) and on sensor phase detection AF (PDAF)
  • I was also looking for a first rate relatively large aperture lens around 85 mm, like an 85 f/2
  • The 85 mm lens should be fully usable at maximum aperture
Suddenly, everything fell into place. The new Zeiss Batis 1.8/85 seem to fulfil my expectations. It is a much more sophisticated design than say the Planar 1.4/85. What I wanted was a lens that had very little axial chromatic aberration (green/magenta shift in OOF areas), such lenses are very rare. I don't know if the Batis is there, but I guess it is better than the older lenses. Neither Otus has any axial chroma. Other lenses known not having axial chroma are the Coastal Optics 60/4 macro, some on the Voigtlander Lantars and the Zeiss 2/135 APO.

The A7rII may not be my dream camera, I would like a more "pro" model with a larger battery and so on, but it delivers on my requirements.

The in camera 4K recording is very important, too, as I feel that motion is often a useful feature. The video quality from the A99 is not that good and moiré is often an issue. Downsizing 4K video to 2K should be pretty good, if properly done. Also, having 4K motion leaves me well prepared for 4K projection when that becomes affordable.

So, here is what I have on order:

• Sony A7rII
  • Batis 1.8/85
  • Canon 24/4 T&S lens
  • Sony FA to FE mount adapter (without built in focusin)
  • Metabones Canon EF to FE adapter
  • Some necessary junk like battery and charger

In the pipeline I see a T&S adapter from HCam DE, that I can use with my existing Hasselblad lenses. I also need to find an L-plate solution for the A7rII.

Best regards
Erik

etrigan63

Really Right Stuff has an L-plate solution for the A7II which will fit on the A7rII as well. Two versions: one without the battery grip and one with the battery grip. I have the latter on my A7II and it works perfectly/

mazor

Serhan, that vid looks very promising. This opens the A7rii lens range! Canon DSLR bodies of late may not have been up in the forefront for it's sensor tech, but they sure make some very nice lenses!

I can see very little disadvantages of using Canon lenses on this new Sony camera, with the only main gripe being the lens motor noise being a little intrusive if recording video in quiet scenes, and the sheer size of good Canon L series lenses.