The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Mount Love?

fotografz

All the hubbub regarding the "Mini-Me" Sony cameras had me wondering if there will be a A99 replacement?

Despite having a A7R, this platform is still my work-horse system and I have a lot of lenses for it.

What has recently given me some reason to think some newer A Mount version may be in the wings is that Sony has recently introduced MK-II versions of the ZA16-35/2.8, and the ZA24-70/2.8 that are now internal focusing and weather sealed.

- Marc

Malina DZ

What has recently given me some reason to think some newer A Mount version may be in the wings is that Sony has recently introduced MK-II versions of the ZA16-35/2.8, and the ZA24-70/2.8 that are now internal focusing and weather sealed.

- Marc
I see little dedication and intention of Alpha mount development with these update releases intended for better AF speed and accuracy on E-mount bodies via adapter. Remember when the last really new lens was announced (50/1.4ZA)? Time flies.
BTW, any verbal official confirmation about internal focusing for 24-70/2.8ZA? Might be careless copy-pasting...

Jim DE

I see all over the web about the A mount gloom and doom. I can't say I love A mount or any other system but I am highly vested in it with over 22 A mount lenses and years worth of accessories. I have not made the jump to FE but do use a Nex7 with legacy glass for my hike in scenics because I am old and like the lighter weight this E mount system offers ( or even lighter with a Sigma DP2M on a nodel ninja and just stitch). My full frame and APC wildlife/macro work is done with A mount systems as personally I find it silly to go to a smaller body only to add a adapter to it to hang it off the back of A frame glass.

Anyone in business can see why Sony is spending mostbof their time and money in their FE product line..... It sells, they dominate this niche market, and it is taking customers away from their biggest competitors at a time when Sony as a whole is having financial issues. Anyone here would do the same thing. It does not mean A mount is dead or dying but just they are focused on where they get the most bang for their investment dollars. A mount is too similar in form factor to the other companies products to have enough curb appeal to draw many away from what they have FE gets attention and new customers. Only makes sense as if we look around at the people we see using serious photography equipment today they like myself have some grey and miles on them. A compact way to get as good or better results than larger systems is appealing to us in the silver generation. Add to that the ability to have near fully functionality with competitors glass that these users may have a room full of it is easy to see the FE attraction and specifically the interest in the new a7rII.

A mount will be with us for the rest of my lifetime for sure but as a retired manager from a major worldwide industry I fully understand what and why they are focused on FE.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Keep the A mount the fast expensive glass. Given they work far better on the A7rII. I see no point in a A body.stay mirrorless and dominate it not play with competitors

UHDR

i would not hesitate one bit to jump back into A mount if they start making more longer lens (in 400-600mm range for birding) to take advantage of their current sensor high ISO performance and high FPS speed. i had the A77 with 70-300 and 70-400mm, both pretty good, but i can do with faster tracking, cleaner high iso performance. if i can shoot at ISO 6400 noise-free like a A7s, you have my money!

Jim DE

They make a 500mm f4 if you can afford to sell off your first born to get it....... the price they ask for that lens i.e. without stabilization or weatherproofing is beyond ridiculous....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
At my age there simply is no way I'm going back to a DSLR unless a job that paid a load of money came up and needed it . Than I would just rent

iiiNelson

I wouldn't be "shocked" if this A7RII sensor or the rumored 56MP sensor winds up in a A99II camera. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I would like to see both lines supported although maybe we can finally get the A99 sans SLT. Maybe it can be the hybrid mirrorless pro body A9 and accept A/FE mount lenses.

k-hawinkler

I can't find it now but there was a description of a meeting with Sony managers in which this wasn't ruled out. So, in fact the A7RII technology might show up in an A99 followup for a little while at least.