The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where are my crop modes???!!!!

mandonbossi

I guess the title says enough :)

But seriously, where are the Sony A7RII crop modes?

3:2 and 16:9? C'mon, even the Canon 5DS has a 4:3 mode!!

My Ricoh GR has 4:3, 1:1 etc etc....

I have a Sony A7R and have had to resort to taping up the back LCD screen..

Not ideal but it works...

The Sony A7RII offers to provide much more withs its new viewfinder but with very limited crop options, I am afraid I am back to taping up the back LCD screen :(

Not ideal for handheld shooting....

What does everyone think?

V

Vivek

Is it not convenient to make use of the grid patterns on display to do compose and later crop?

The 16:9 is for meant for video, btw. :)

mandonbossi

I don't think so...

But maybe that is just me :)

There is a difference between shooting to a proper blacked out 4:3 or 5:4 mode to somewhere where you are guessing to a cropped mode and then cropping later in post...

Having said all that, my ideal would be a cropped 5:4 or 4:3 mode (with proper blacked out masking in camera) that would capture the whole image area (3:2) and enable cropping in post...

That, would be amazing!!

:)

Slingers

I just checked and on the A7S there is a setting called aspect ratio and you can choose 16:9 and it sets the crop in the EVF and on the LCD.

EDIT: that's a crop with black masking.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I guess the title says enough :)

But seriously, where are the Sony A7RII crop modes?

3:2 and 16:9? C'mon, even the Canon 5DS has a 4:3 mode!!

My Ricoh GR has 4:3, 1:1 etc etc....

I have a Sony A7R and have had to resort to taping up the back LCD screen..

Not ideal but it works...

The Sony A7RII offers to provide much more withs its new viewfinder but with very limited crop options, I am afraid I am back to taping up the back LCD screen :(

Not ideal for handheld shooting....

What does everyone think?
Doesn't exist but I too would like to have a 4:5, 4:3, and 1:1 crop mode in addition to the ones present.

I would love to have those crop modes as well :)

In particular, I would love to have the ability to crop to one of those formats (in camera) but still have the whole 3:2 sensor area capture, to enable to crop in post...

That would be very cool indeed!

mandonbossi

I recently contacted Sony Artisan Brian Smith with regards to this issue, thinking he may have some influence in influencing Sony firmware...

He got back to me which was very cool of him and I will post his responses below..

" More crop options have been a request of mine for quite some time. RX1R II is the first Sony camera to add 1:1 and 4:3 crops. I know that's not exactly what you want but It's a great compromise between 4:5 and 5:7.

I hope that will be added to future cameras."

and another later response when I asked about having the viewfinder crop to a format but leaving the whole sensor capture area to then later crop in post...

" Yup. That's how Sony crop ratios work in Raw. While Jpegs crop pixels, Raw is the full image that simply shows up with a crop applied (in Adobe & Phase One software too), but no pixels are lost. "

So can anyone confirm that the RX1R2 has a 4:3 crop mode and that it does somehow mask it off in the viewfinder but leaves the whole sensor capture area to then work with in post?

Thanks so much in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add if you guys thought there would be a chance of a Sony A7RII firmware upgrade to include this?

Please, Please, Please....... :)

dmward

When I was a young commercial photographer just starting out, I had 35mm 2 1/4 sq, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 film formats. I quickly learned that art directors cared little about the format I was shooting and much more about how to place the image on the page they were laying out for the ad.

That lead quickly to leaving a little "breathing room" around the subject. Even with 35mm transparencies.

So, all these years later, I'm still leaving a bit of breathing room and then place the subject and crop based on client wishes when processing.

I do appreciate, having shot and produced a couple of PBS shows on 16mm film, that with video composition has to be right, based on intended format, and that's best done in camera.

When shooting to a predetermined format, I've used transparent tape on the LCD to confirm 8x10. 5x7 is too close to 2:3. I also have the rule of thirds option selected that helps placement and making sure there is nothing ugly in the breathing space.

mandonbossi

Yes, I totally agree with leaving a little breathing room.. For my own work and tastes, I prefer the format of 5:4 (and to a lesser degree 6:7)

What I am proposing and what I think is being offered in the new Sony RX1 mk2 is that you "can see" in the viewfinder and then the "wiggle room" is still there in post processing...

Can anybody confirm that this is the case for the RX1 mk2?

I am still really hoping that this can be implemented in a firmware upgrade for my newly purchased A7R II?

:)