The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

MrSmith

i can’t be the only person who is using an A7r and forthcoming mk II with digital panel lenses and a cambo actus or similar.
however lens choice seems to be a bit of a minefield especially if buying secondhand and information on digitars, digarons, app-rodagons, sinarons etc does not seem to be comprehensive and not helped by changes to names and pink bands, green bands etc etc.

so far i have purchased a schenider 80mm apo-digitar f4 that supposedly doesn't have the resolving power for a 5micron pixel pitch but the results are very impressive even with big shifts and it’s an excellent lens, better than any other 35mm prime i have tried on the a7r, i’m not seeing any colour degradation or the need for an LCC on shifting.

i also have a rodagon 60mm enlarging lens (non-apo) that while not in the same class is still as good as a canon prime and will do small shifts with little loss of quality.

i’m looking for a 35-50mm lens and after a bit of research have discounted the schneider 47mm xl as i believe it’s not quite up to the rodenstocks or the other focal lengths either side.

does anyone have any experience with or know the differences between a 35mm Apo sironar digital f4.5 (pink band) and a sinaron digital 35mm f5.6 apo (green band)?
I believe 35mm will not focus at infinity on the actus but my work is tabletop still life so shouldn’t be an issue. i have the canon 24TSE if i need to go wider.

any anecdotal info on what lenses work well or are not up to scratch appreciated.

scho

i can’t be the only person who is using an A7r and forthcoming mk II with digital panel lenses and a cambo actus or similar.
however lens choice seems to be a bit of a minefield especially if buying secondhand and information on digitars, digarons, app-rodagons, sinarons etc does not seem to be comprehensive and not helped by changes to names and pink bands, green bands etc etc.

so far i have purchased a schenider 80mm apo-digitar f4 that supposedly doesn't have the resolving power for a 5micron pixel pitch but the results are very impressive even with big shifts and it’s an excellent lens, better than any other 35mm prime i have tried on the a7r, i’m not seeing any colour degradation or the need for an LCC on shifting.

i also have a rodagon 60mm enlarging lens (non-apo) that while not in the same class is still as good as a canon prime and will do small shifts with little loss of quality.

i’m looking for a 35-50mm lens and after a bit of research have discounted the schneider 47mm xl as i believe it’s not quite up to the rodenstocks or the other focal lengths either side.

does anyone have any experience with or know the differences between a 35mm Apo sironar digital f4.5 (pink band) and a sinaron digital 35mm f5.6 apo (green band)?
I believe 35mm will not focus at infinity on the actus but my work is tabletop still life so shouldn’t be an issue. i have the canon 24TSE if i need to go wider.

any anecdotal info on what lenses work well or are not up to scratch appreciated.
I use a Rodenstock 55mm APO-Grandagon on the Actus with A7R. Excellent performance, sharp across frame, no distortion or CA. I use it primarily for landscape work. Sample below is two shot stitch with this lens.

MrSmith

is it pin sharp at 100%? i wonder if that is a lens that was good enough to have ‘digital’ stuck on it with the optics unchanged?

gazwas

This is a great threat as I'm going to join the Actus club once the A7RII starts shipping!! :watch:

gazwas

I'd love to know how the newer Schneider APO-DIGITAR 5.6/120mm Aspheric performs on the A7/Actus.

scho

is it pin sharp at 100%? i wonder if that is a lens that was good enough to have ‘digital’ stuck on it with the optics unchanged?
Hard to say from this shot which was at f/13 and some diffraction, but still quite good. Lens is supposed to be optimal at f/8-f/11 (for film).

Here is a 100% screen grab from the image posted above.

MrSmith

that crop at 100% looks good to me.
the 120 aspheric is a possible purchase that would mean not having to buy a dedicated macro lens, it’s not that expensive either compared to some of the wide angles.

gazwas

I'm planning on using my Canon 17, 24 and 90 TS-E when I get an Actus but wanted a 50 and 120 (Macro) lens also. No idea on the 50 ish lens (Hasselblad?) but really fancied a look at either the SK 120 Aspheric or possibly one of the Mamiya 120 Macro's as they are cheap but the same optical formula as the latest Phase AF Macro. I had the Phase manual focus 120 Macro (without aperture ring) when I shot MFD and it was a nice sharp piece of glass.

jlm

Workshop Member
bear in mind the shutters in the hasselblad V lenses require an adapter that can cock them

bear in mind the shutters in the hasselblad V lenses require an adapter that can cock them
I've recently acquired some 'Blad glass for my Arca Universalis A7r kit. I tested them against my Schneiders and Rodenstocks, finding that they performed just as well. I'm so happy with this kit, that I've just sold my Rm3d, lenses and IQ260.

Keep in mind you do NOT need to ba able to cock the 'Blad lens shutters, as you'll be using the Sony's built-in shutter.

If you really want view camera lenses, the Rodenstock 55mm is a bargain and a hell of a perfomer. The SK 43mm XL Digi is newer and better than the 47mm, though not really a bargain and will def require an LCC.

CB

the glass kit for the Sony... :)

thanks for the clarification; you just need to keep the lens shutter open then?
The lens shutter is always open until actuated by the camera body. The only thing you have to touch is the aperture. Set it at your desired f/stop, press the depth of field preview button to engage the iris and you're ready to shoot. You could also just leave the depth of field preview engaged all the time and then you only ever adjust your aperture... identical to working with any manual slr lens.

scho

I've recently acquired some 'Blad glass for my Arca Universalis A7r kit. I tested them against my Schneiders and Rodenstocks, finding that they performed just as well. I'm so happy with this kit, that I've just sold my Rm3d, lenses and IQ260.

Keep in mind you do NOT need to ba able to cock the 'Blad lens shutters, as you'll be using the Sony's built-in shutter.

If you really want view camera lenses, the Rodenstock 55mm is a bargain and a hell of a perfomer. The SK 43mm XL Digi is newer and better than the 47mm, though not really a bargain and will def require an LCC.

CB

the glass kit for the Sony... :)
Agree that the Rodenstock 55 is an excellent performer with the A7r. I also use the Blad 40, 80 and 120 on the Actus with the A7r, but if I'm out in the field then I prefer the lighter weight of the view camera glass.

M

mjr

Gents, how do the likes of the Actus and Universlis deal with the weight of some of these lenses? Still rock solid with a 70-200 or a big hasselblad lens on the front?

Mat

scho

Gents, how do the likes of the Actus and Universlis deal with the weight of some of these lenses? Still rock solid with a 70-200 or a big hasselblad lens on the front?

Mat
The only problem I have with lens weight is the pain in my arthritic neck and back when carrying this gear around. Otherwise quite stable on the Actus using a solid tripod mount.

anGy

I would like to know which is the widest tech cam lens that can be used with the A7R on an Actus or Universalis ?
I suppose that Leica R / Hasselblad wide angle lenses can be used but what about Schneider / Rodie wide angle lenses ?
Thanks

Paul2660

On the Universalis, the widest tech lens would be the 32mm Rodenstock. You can reach infinity with the 23 or 28mm Rodenstock.

You can read a bit more on the use of the Schneiders and the Rrodenstocks on the older DSLR2 Arca, in this article. The Universalis is lighter and has a few different features, but the lens results should be the same.

404 Not Found

Paul