The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

PeterA

I'm not Chris, but I've used the CF 40 FLE, F 50/2.8, CF 100, S-Planar 135, and F 150/2.8 as well as a couple of much smaller and lighter 645 lenses, and the system handled them all very well. The lens plates are solid and very well designed, the locking mount for the plate is secure, and not even the F 50 (which is a beast) could move the front gears out of my chosen alignment. The 40's a bit fussy with its FLE. To get the best out of it, you need to manage its flange to a T, but I think the results are worth it.
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

-Pete

daf

Hi-

The 47mm Digitar is a great lens but somewhat susceptible to flare. It will allow the full movements possible with the actus.

Here's my compact field kit including:

28mm Digitar WA in copal 0 shutter
40mm Componon HM 39mm Leica Iris mount
47mm, 60mm, 90mm Digitars in copal 0 shutters
80mm Sinaron 39mm Leica Iris mount
100mm Componon-S 39mm Leica Iris mount
120mm Macro Symmar HM w copal 0 to 39mm Leica Iris mount adapter

The whole kit including the bag, 8 lenses, A7rII, Actus and extra batteries is 11 lbs.

jim
Hi Jimban,
I'm about to pull the trigger on the actus, mainly to go back to digitar(componon apo hm).

Is There any room for shift with the componon 40?
You could also try the 40mm canon which cover 40x56...with good corner up to 36x48...but stil, I'm interested by your comment on the componon 40hm;)

I heard very bad things on the digitar 2,8/28, what do you think of this lens? Distoraion corner sharpness...

Any chance you tryed the actar 24mm?

David

AlexFernandez

Hi Jim !!
First... english it´s not my natural language, so excuse me for any writing mistakes.

I´m new in the forum; hi to everybody.

I just saw the pics of your gear, it is very impresive all the options you are trying with the Actus.
I´m considering the same set up (Sony and Actus) for architecture work, but I would like to ask you, if you dont mind, for some real user information (not sales representative) about the capabilities of the Actus.
My main question is; How wide can you go with the Actus and Sony A7 in terms of 35mm scale ?? The people of Capture Integration said that I can not go wider than 50mm on the view camera lenses without having limitations. But, how wide is 50mm in view camera lenses compare to 35mm system ??
I see a 28mm digitar lens in your arsenal. Is it possible to use that lens with the regular Actus below??

Best regards

Alex

Hi-

The 47mm Digitar is a great lens but somewhat susceptible to flare. It will allow the full movements possible with the actus.

Here's my compact field kit including:

28mm Digitar WA in copal 0 shutter
40mm Componon HM 39mm Leica Iris mount
47mm, 60mm, 90mm Digitars in copal 0 shutters
80mm Sinaron 39mm Leica Iris mount
100mm Componon-S 39mm Leica Iris mount
120mm Macro Symmar HM w copal 0 to 39mm Leica Iris mount adapter

The whole kit including the bag, 8 lenses, A7rII, Actus and extra batteries is 11 lbs.

jim

MrSmith

Just bumping this thread with a bit more Sony/cambo/lens info.
A Colleuge found a couple of enlarger lenses at the back of a cupboard while having a clear-out, a Nikkor 50mm and 75mm. Had no idea where they came from but guessing from his college days over 20 years ago.
So having a lens panel I decided to try them on the A7r/Actus but didn't expect them to be much good.
I was wrong! The 75mm is indistinguishable from my 80mm digitar and seems to perform well even stopped down to 11-1/2, image circle is quite big too, the 50mm has a lot smaller image circle and probably only shifts 5-7mm before vignetting. Both are very usable and I shot a job using both lenses the next day.
I didn't see any C/A apart from very feint traces probaly only a pixels width at the extremities and did not see the need for any extra sharpening compared to the digitars. Also the 75 is not a 1:1 duplicating lens like the rodenstocks so suited to non-macro work. I would imagine these lenses are available for peanuts secondhand.

Stefan Steib

Just bumping this thread with a bit more Sony/cambo/lens info.
A Colleuge found a couple of enlarger lenses at the back of a cupboard while having a clear-out, a Nikkor 50mm and 75mm. Had no idea where they came from but guessing from his college days over 20 years ago.
So having a lens panel I decided to try them on the A7r/Actus but didn't expect them to be much good.
I was wrong! The 75mm is indistinguishable from my 80mm digitar and seems to perform well even stopped down to 11-1/2, image circle is quite big too, the 50mm has a lot smaller image circle and probably only shifts 5-7mm before vignetting. Both are very usable and I shot a job using both lenses the next day.
I didn't see any C/A apart from very feint traces probaly only a pixels width at the extremities and did not see the need for any extra sharpening compared to the digitars. Also the 75 is not a 1:1 duplicating lens like the rodenstocks so suited to non-macro work. I would imagine these lenses are available for peanuts secondhand.
Even the "normal" EL Nikkors are virtually on par with the Apo Componons or Apo Rodagons. And up to 135mm you get them darn cheap, if it´s not for the much searched old 3,5/63mm which has a reputation for UV photography (much overstated it seems). The longer ones like the 150 or 180,210mm are superb for large format photography also and were used by many people on Sinars or other large format cameras. I used them for many years for extreme closeups and macro as well as for product photography and reproductions.

among them the APO´s, many people call them some of the best lenses ever made. But be prepared : these are expensive !

http://www.savazzi.net/download/manuals/El-Nikkor_enlarging_lenses_2.pdf
http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/pdf/apo_el_nikkor_borchure_from_photocopy.pdf

Regards
Stefan