The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica lm ense shift adaptor on a7?

karlfoto

Hi Forum

I see that kipon has a sony e mount tilt shift adaptor that takes leica r lenses. Any idea if there is such a shift system system that would take the leica m 24mm 3.8 lenses? I dont see anything on the net, so assume that because it is a range finder lens it would be physically impossible. However the nikkor pc 35mm is also quite small.

Secondly I am using a VM adaptor for my leica 24 3.8 lens on my sony a7. How do i know if it focuses past infinity, and if so by how much and how does one get it to focus only to infinity?

Thanx
Karl

mbroomfield

The tilt/shift mechanism takes up too much room between the lens and the camera flange to fit in the space (~10mm). I guess someone could make a very thin shift mechanism for such an adapter but the problem with RF lenses will be massive colour shift as the lens is so close to the sensor. I have a nikon mount version of the Voigtlander 15mm Heliar which I use with a shift adapter and sometimes the colour shift it too much to compensate for as it's an RF lens.

To see if the lens focuses past infinity just use live view at max focus mag and watch as you focus out (on something at infinity). You'll see it get crisp then slightly blurred if it goes past. I don't use the VM but the Hawks helicoid adapter has an infinity adjustment. You may be able to shim the VM adapter but I don't have one to comment how.

Stefan Steib

I recently also had a customer who asked for this. It "MAY" work on a shift only version, but the space is Very limited.
If I have news I will of course post it.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

V

Vivek

The 24/3.8 without shift is bad news on the A7 and as Mike said it is too much of a bother with any shift (if possible).

The collapsible elamars, OTOH, can be used on A7, etc with a shift adapter. There is an YouTube video showing this .

mbroomfield

The other thing of concern is image circle size. I couldn't find any info on the 24mm Elmar but it may have little shift on the FF A7 before you get black corners. I should have mentioned that I only use the 15mm Heliar with shift on an APSC Sony.

iiiNelson

The 24/3.8 without shift is bad news on the A7 and as Mike said it is too much of a bother with any shift (if possible).

The collapsible elamars, OTOH, can be used on A7, etc with a shift adapter. There is an YouTube video showing this .
The 24 Elmar actually isn't too bad on the A7 or A7s (assuming you aren't too anal about "perfect" corners) but it is a "NO GO" for most purposes on the A7R. I have the lens and it's not bad for street photography but it wouldn't be my first choice in a landscape lens like MOST Leica branded aspherical lenses.

V

Vivek

The 24 f3.8 elmar is tiny and a joy to use on A7 but for the corners. Street snaps also include positioning a subject in the corner and not just the center. I am sure it is a swell lens on modified (thin filter Kolari) A7 cams.

iiiNelson

The 24 f3.8 elmar is tiny and a joy to use on A7 but for the corners. Street snaps also include positioning a subject in the corner and not just the center. I am sure it is a swell lens on modified (thin filter Kolari) A7 cams.
It's fine on an unmodified A7 IMO... I've used it myself for the purposes that I've described.

karlfoto

Hi Guys

Thanx for the info. Yes I assumed that it would be physically very difficult. I would only require shift...imagine a small lens like that with shift on a kolari a7Rii.

As regards the poor corners with the leica 24 and the a7. In the mean time before i get the kolari mod, I have been using a focus stacking technique. I focus at three different zones and then stack them together. The poor corners are no longer then a problem. The problem is having everything, including vegetation, perfectly still in the image. Even with helicon focus, it is a bit of work to sort out.

Yes i get the slight blurring of objects at infinity when you have focused past the sharp point. With this focusing past infinity a new concept for me. What distance is true infinity, the moon, a mountain 4 km away? Any ideas?

Annna T

Yes i get the slight blurring of objects at infinity when you have focused past the sharp point. With this focusing past infinity a new concept for me. What distance is true infinity, the moon, a mountain 4 km away? Any ideas?
Well, infinity is infinity, you can't measure it ! But if you think to DOF, then it will depends upon the lens : on a long tele you will have to pick a longer distance in order to get things sharp at infinite. Using the 16-35mm at the long end, I can focus on lights situated at about 1-2km and the stars will be in focus. But using the 40-150mm + 1.4 converter on the E-M5II, I have to be far more precise with focusing. Using a DOF table or on line DOF calculator and computing the hyper focal will teach you more : here is one Online Depth of Field Calculator