The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 15mm Version III on a Sony A7II test

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Working with the Sony 7 series for over a year now we get some interesting choices in what type of lenses we can use and what brands as well as all you really need are some adapters. But having said that there has been a shortage of Native FE lenses so we are forced to look elsewhere until very recently. Now I have been one of those grandfathers to the alternative movement for many years when I had Canons than Leica, Nikon and now on to Sony. Sometimes its fun and sometimes its a hassle. Guess that depends on your way of working. One thing in almost every system I have been associated with the wide angle options are fairly few. So lets look at what you can do with Sonys. In the extreme wide area is the hardest hit by choices. There is the Zeiss 15mm 2.8 a very very nice super wide and maybe the big daddy of the super wides. Its big, its heavy and its damn expensive, BUT its dang good. If you went the cheapest route than Samyang/Rokinion 14mm is your choice BUT its big, cheap, hard to focus and worst of all a boat load of distortion. And no you can't let that slide by you need to fix it. Again though it is actually very good in IQ with regards to sharpness. Actually pretty amazing since it is so cheap compared to the Zeiss. Now if you turn to Nikon and Canon with adapters there is a bunch but even Canons 14mm and Nikons 14mm where never that great given the price. Truly one of the best super wides is the Canon 17MM TSE but again big , heavy but the quality is great and its a Tilt /shift lens which is dang nice to have but not hike 5 miles with. LOL

Not to mention its about a half a kidneys worth when it comes to body part value in dollars. LOL

Now there are others and most notably the Sony 16-35 F4 zoom which I just sold but have to say I liked that lens at the extremes of 16mm and its very nice to at least 24mm after that it gets soft. Some maybe okay with that but Im not. So in my quest to get the best 35mm focal length I bought the FE 35mm F 1.4 which not sure any 35mm lens can touch it even on a good day. Than I decided to sell the 16-35 for the Batis 25mm which is looking to be outstanding. Than I was caught with my pants down and have no extreme wide. Than I started thinking, very dangerous for me to actually think about lenses as one of the best gear sluts in the west I don't know a lens I have not slept with. LOL

And sure enough a old friend came to mind from my Leica M days and the Voigtlander 12mm and 15mm and they just upgraded the 15mm to version III made for digital and made to improve on the corner and vignetting issues of the past versions. Here to tell you they solved that and the scary part its better than what i thought it would be. BONUS TIME

I also bought the Metabones adapter used from Samy's. Now there are two Closeup adapters made one from Hawk and another from VC itself. They look interesting but closeup on a super wide is getting out there in the art world. LOL
Strange even without the closeup adapter you can get dang close. Somethings maybe to close, think a bad breath Lion in your face. Thanks but Ill pass, you get the idea but they are options if you want to get so close your readers actually don't work. ROTFLMAO

Anyway i went out and did my usual boring test of the same damn thing I always test a lens with first thing. I know boring as all hell but I shot so many lenses against this thing I can go back in my memory banks and can compare to others. I also get a feel for vignetting, corner sharpness, color and tone.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Most corner tests are pretty obvious that wide open is soft than it gradually gets better as we stop down. Now I did the VC 15mm at 2 different focus marks without moving the tripod the first series I actually focused with a Hoodman loupe at 100 percent. Just short of infinity and thats what I will show. Than went back and actually shot it at infinity. They are the same

I need to process everything and post the results but I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm because the corner sharpness between wide open f4.5 and f8 is so minimal Im having a hard time believing it. Normally you see a bigger jump in quality, here this thing is rocking wide open. Im just going to call it its better than the 16-35 at the extreme wide in the corners and the 17mm TSE would have a hard time against it here in this area. If you wanna beat it good luck it maybe the Zeiss 15mm. Ill pass put that money somewhere else. I have not said a word about size, weight and the fact its a 58mm filter thread which I give the lens a A plus on those three counts. But Im not going to mention that part.:cool:

Guy Mancuso

Two things of note. I used the A7II and it seems to underexpose about a stop. I need to test this more or get further along in the images to make this call but the first thing out of the gate is this. Secondly at 4.5 its about a half stop of vignetting over 5.6 and I'm not seeing any more stopping down. Now I am going to predict on the A7rII the vignetting on ALL lenses currently will improve with that body because of the new sensor technology called BSI. More on that in another thread maybe. But to be honest I kind of like a little vignetting but don't ever pass on a lens that has to much and you like the lens, its a easy fix for raw shooters in post

Okay on to the images

Guy Mancuso

Im going to load raws as well for you folks to try yourself since there is no exif data the shots in continuous sequince are 4.5,5.6,8,11,16

If you look very close F8 is it before you start seeing diffraction so only use F11 in the extreme DOF situations. Its not bad but I can see it going at F11

Full Image wide open

Guy Mancuso

Conclusions. Wow I like this lens. Color is very snappy and nice contrast in all the images. Vignetting is very light wide open, corners look very good. Than you have small and i mean its small. No bigger than your 55mm 1.5 actually smaller. Its not heavy and the nice 58mm filter thread which keeps costs down on very expensive filters and also saves bulk. Not much not to like . The built in hood does create a issue with larger filters and using step down adapter rings and you also can't use square filters unless you built some kind of rig for them. Price is nice at 750 and with the Metabones adapter another 100 dollars.

For me this solves the extreme wide under the Batis 25mm which I know will get a lot of use along with my 35 1.4. So for me this gives me a nice kit 15,25,35,50,85 than ????.

Now will Zeiss/Sony address this wider than 25mm issue, I am sure they will and this will at least hold me until that day but honestly I doubt we will se a 15mm on the next announcement. My guess a 18 or 21 which for me would still gap nice between the 15 and 25. Thats down the road and I need to shoot today so for now this 15mm is staying put in the corner of my bag. Oh yea its that small did I mention that.

BONUS TIME its a 22mm on my A6000 walk about lens

Guy Mancuso

No one has any comments. I'm a little surprised.

Have to say this lens is far better than previous version I used on my Leica M8.

I did not mention distortion but it's pretty well corrected. I also bought a another cheap M to Sony mount just sitting around. Might have to find another Cheap M mount lens.

I'm a big fan of the VC stuff. I had the previous 15mm and loved it on my Leica M. Unhappily, it was poor on the A7R, so I sold it.

I -was- intrigued by this new version when they announced it. In the mean time I got the absolutely stellar 16-35mm, and re-bought the 12mm VC. If I didn't already have those two ultra-wide lenses, I'm sure I'd be all over this one!

Last edited:

Jason Abbott

Those look very good. I can barely discern a difference between aperture settings. I've been watching for decent reviews and RAWs since this was announced. I'm very grateful to see these. I've had the Nikon 14-24 and Samyang 14 but prefer not to dedicate so much bag space to something little used. Is the truck shot close to MFD? Looking at scenarios where I used 14mm a good bit, I think this would do very nicely.

Guy Mancuso

Truck is very close to MFD the wagon is Jason. You want those raws I can load them for you to play with

Guy Mancuso

I honestly don't think you need the close focus adapter with this lens. Longer glass sure but I only have this one and thought it would be a bit much. There is not a lot of difference between apertures wide open is very good. F8 looks to be optimum.

Guy Mancuso

I love the fact I can stack this and my Loxia 50 in one lens slot in my bag. It's nice having a couple small lenses to offset the big ones in your bag. I mean I would not want to have 5 FE 35 1.4 in my bag. So you get a heavy one or two lenses and this offsets the weight and bulk.

My purpose in all of this is I want the Batis 25 and having the zoom now made no sense with the Batis 25 and the 35 1.4. So this takes care of the wide end. Sure more lenses and more money but I'm really a prime lens shooter. But the 16-35 is a nice lens don't get me wrong.

serhan

It's dangerous grounds, 15, 25, 35, 50, 85, and maybe 135:) Enjoy your new lens.

I have CV 12mm and needs some correction on the corners on A7R so I got the CV 15 III after the release. I am not shooting wide lately but the small size makes it a good carry on lens. Here are 2 shots against sun with a polarizer. I saw Sony underexposed more with manual lenses when I tested the 50's. First one is close to the what comes from the camera, second after I opened the shadows (A7 II also):

This was on A7R thru the glass, high ISO and it was snowing but I don't see any shifts, just heavy vignetting which was corrected:

Jason Abbott

I would love those raws. Thanks! After waffling a few times now on this, the 16-35 and perhaps a future Batis 18, you about have me sold. For the photography I enjoy, there are occasions where an UWA is pretty useful.

Truck is very close to MFD the wagon is Jason. You want those raws I can load them for you to play with

Guy Mancuso

Now I loved the 16-35 but after 24 it was just okay. So I had to get a good 35 and fast one anyway. I want the Batis 25 I can tell already it's killer good and now this 15 I'm not at Sony/Zeiss timetable waiting for them. Been tired of waiting on Sony after August I won't have too anymore. I'll have a great kit to grow on

Even though I am a serious gear whore I plan and research a lot. I've been buying time for the last year with Sony waiting out some native glass, heck we all have. Finally we are seeing some great lenses.

iiiNelson

These look really good and you provided sharper samples than I've seen from this lens in general. I would get this lens if it had metadata but it does allow one click corrections in Lightroom 6 I believe. I sort of waiting on a faster than f/4 native ultra wide or just a really good native 12-21mm solution after I get the 25 Batis.