The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 15mm Version III on a Sony A7II test

Ken_R

Wow. Awesome lens. I am very fond of my 14mm f2.8L II Canon (extremely sharp and low distortion only downside is some CA my main bread and butter lens for interiors) and I used the Zeiss 15mm on a D800E and it was superb. I also used the 14-24mm Nikon but made no sense to carry such a large and heavy lens when I mostly wanted to use it at 14mm at longer focal lengths I rather use other lenses that are smaller / lighter and easy to filter. This Voigtlander 15mm III is something indeed. Stellar performance from your test images.

danlindberg

Well, there you go....:rolleyes: Only a few weeks ago I asked what people thought about this one and the native 16-35 at the wide end and the general feel of that thread was definitely leaning towards the native 16-35.
The assignment that I had, changed in character so it has been done and delivered with the Alpa instead. But this is so well priced I might pick it up anyway....:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea the 16-35 is there best zoom. A lot of thought went into that decision. For me it makes sense but it is also a very costly one. I'm really liking this little VC and if it did not look as good as it does I would be kicking myself. I still recommend the zoom so don't look at me selling it as a bad thing.

scho

Thanks Guys here are the handheld raws as well. Try them out and see what you think. I shot them at ISO 100 so you can get a rough idea of apertures

https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBiMWZJWlRlcEw1SE1UQw
Thanks Guy. You just convinced me to buy my 3rd CV 15mm. I used both prior versions on my M8, M9, and assorted Sony mirrorless cams, but sold all of them and I've looking for an excuse to go back to a newer version on my Sony A7r.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I think this is far better than previous versions. Glad the Raws are helping and there handheld too but must admit I'm a rock too

CharlesK

Thanks Guy :) Great set of test results.
I still have my WATE, and I was thinking of getting the 16-35, but no need now that the Batis 25 is arriving soon. The 16 - 21mm is nicely covered, and I am looking forward to see how the WATE performs with the new A7rII.

uhoh7

Charles, I'd bet that backlit sensor will keep the WATE shining :)

It will be interesting to see how the rendering of the 25 batis and CV 15 compare, especially the respective color signatures.

I don't mind dissimilar looks myself, but many seem to want the same from all their main working glass.

Viramati

Thanks Guy :) Great set of test results.
I still have my WATE, and I was thinking of getting the 16-35, but no need now that the Batis 25 is arriving soon. The 16 - 21mm is nicely covered, and I am looking forward to see how the WATE performs with the new A7rII.
I too still have my WATE and it indeed did perform well though I did find it really hard to critically focus at close distances and for this reason and the fact that it has greater range I bought the 16-35. Now that I have sold my M to fund the Q I really am debating whether to hold onto it as it a very expensive bit of glass just to leave sitting in the safe 99% of the time

Guy Mancuso

Yea I was going to respond to the request but forgot. Im in the middle of our monsoon season so I do not have clear skies at night right now but evening clouds and storms have been rolling in from the extreme heat of the day. Bad place now for astro stuff. What I am hoping for is a chance to use this on the road next week driving to NY. Ill be on the road for 5 days driving and hoping to get maybe some shooting in.

iiiNelson

Yea I was going to respond to the request but forgot. Im in the middle of our monsoon season so I do not have clear skies at night right now but evening clouds and storms have been rolling in from the extreme heat of the day. Bad place now for astro stuff. What I am hoping for is a chance to use this on the road next week driving to NY. Ill be on the road for 5 days driving and hoping to get maybe some shooting in.
Been raining quite a bit the last couple of weeks on the East Coast as well... Well at least the Southern portions of it.