The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 15mm Version III on a Sony A7II test

Viramati

Well Guy thanks for turning me onto to this lens. Bought it this afternoon and traded in my old LTM version of the CV12/5.6 and CV21/1.8 both of which I seldom use. From first results I have to say I am very impressed and it so good to have a DOF scale again as I find the FE16-35 a real pain to know where it is really focussing for landscape work. Same as you I am surprised by the corner quality even wide open and could even be better than the FE16-35 at 16 (early days though). For £499.99 it is a steal

furtle

I've got this lens and use it with an A7S. I got it primarily for indoor UWA photography but haven't yet used it for that except the last photo below. Here are a few test photos that may be helpful to those thinking about the lens. I use it with a Voigtlander VM adapter which is pretty neat. I have to say, I like the lens a lot but having never used such a wide angle lens before, it came as a shock when I first looked through the viewfinder! None of these have been cropped other than a bit of straightening up and minimal adjustment in LR. It is a lovely lens and beautifully made. Some say at f4.5 it is slow but with the Sony A7S I can just up the ISO and carry on using the camera hand held.

Last edited:

furtle

Thanks for posting these examples. They really show the potential of the lens. Do you use the VM adapter or the VM-E adapter with the close focus adjustment? If the latter, what's your opinion? It's pricey. :bugeyes:

Joe
I use the standard VM adapter.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've got one arriving tomorrow. Can't wait to try it with the a7RM2. I used the Leica WATE on the a7R with good results. I no longer have that lens and have been looking for a sharp super-wide. The Voigtlander 15mm vIII looks the ticket. Metabones adapter arrived yesterday.

BTW, I use LensTagger in LR to add EXIF in post-processing. That way I can at least keep track of what settings I used for a particular shoot.

Joe

Hey Joe, did you get a chance to try this lens on the MKII? has anyone else done so? I am very keen to hear about it since it seems to me that a really nice travel setup will be this, the 35mm F2.8, the 55 1.8 and my Macro Elmar 90mm. All small, light and very good lenses.

scho

Tim, I literally just unboxed it and mounted it on the camera (using a Metabones adapter). I'll do some testing later today and tomorrow. The lens is very small and lightweight, as you already know. The 15mm focal length will take some getting used to (by me). Dang, it's super wide!! :bugeyes: I've set IBIS to 15mm and that seems to work. Precise focus is difficult to see in the EVF even with 12.5x. The DOF scale should help.

What you've described as your "travel setup" will almost fit into a shirt pocket. :D

More later.

Joe
This lens is the perfect point and shoot lens for landscapes. Just stop down to f/8, scale focus, and shoot away. Keeping the camera level will help minimize distortion. Excellent performance on both my A7r and A7rII

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Glad you like it Joe. Focusing is tough with this little gem. I open up focus than stop down. I have not seen any focus shift. For the money it can't be beat

Amin

Another thanks to Guy for putting me onto this lens. I use it with a cheap Fotasy adapter, and it is great! I do have a second copy of the Fotasy which is not so great, but what can you expect at that price.

Shot the Voigtlander against a Sony 16-35 at 16mm today, and the Voigtlander was the clear winner, especially after correcting the Sony distortion (Voigtlander has much less distortion).

Here are the raws from the f/8 comparison: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B93HF6w-u-VXdlNmcm1KMGlfTzQ/view?usp=sharing

Question is, do I need the Batis 25 in between the Voigt 15 and Sony 35? I'm beginning to think I don't.

Hausen

Wish the version III was available before I sold a kidney and purchased the Zeiss 15 2.8. Stellar lens but it is BIG.

dandrewk

What M mount adapters are you guys using? There appears to be several options from B&H, with some costing 3x as much as others. Why the price difference?