The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony HVL-F58AM

jfirneno

I need help from any Sony flash officianados. I'm planning to sell my A-850 and was looking at my other a-mount stuff. Does anyone know whether the Sony HVL-F58AM flash can be used with e-mount equipment in a useful way? I almost never use flash but then again you never know. So if it maintains its functionality with the A7 cameras I might keep it.

tn1krr

I need help from any Sony flash officianados. I'm planning to sell my A-850 and was looking at my other a-mount stuff. Does anyone know whether the Sony HVL-F58AM flash can be used with e-mount equipment in a useful way? I almost never use flash but then again you never know. So if it maintains its functionality with the A7 cameras I might keep it.
Yes it can be used. Get yourself a Sony ADP-MAA adapter that will adapt the flash to the new hotshoe that A7-series, A6000 etc. have. I've used a HVL-F43AM (has the same old "Minolta" hotshoe) almost daily for a couple of years and everything works: TTL, HSS, wireless. Only thing that does not work is the PDAF focus assists light on the flash.

jfirneno

Yes it can be used. Get yourself a Sony ADP-MAA adapter that will adapt the flash to the new hotshoe that A7-series, A6000 etc. have. I've used a HVL-F43AM (has the same old "Minolta" hotshoe) almost daily for a couple of years and everything works: TTL, HSS, wireless. Only thing that does not work is the PDAF focus assists light on the flash.
Thanks for the info. It's kind of ridiculously big for my A7S but as long as it works I'll hold onto it.