The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Novoflex adapter with Nikon lenses on A7RII

Jeffg53

Given all the excitement about the A7RII, I'm wondering how my Leica R and Zeiss glass would work on it with a Novoflex adapter. I have an excellent collection and would love to keep it all if possible. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

pegelli

Am I missing something?
I think the only thing you're missing is an E-mount body (and adapter). They will work fine on it. It's mostly wide-angle rangefinder lenses that frequently create a problem (corner degradation with colour casts, vignetting and smearing). Most DSLR lenses work very well, even the WA's

Jeffg53

Excellent, thanks. I'm assuming that I get focus confirmation on manual lenses too. I couldn't find that anywhere. This should be interesting, seeing how an Otus goes.

pegelli

Yes, you can get focus peaking and/or magnify in the EVF for real critical focus. Different people have different approaches so you need to test how you like it best.

Biglou

The only missing feature of present time adaptors for Leica R and Nikon glass is the inability to focus wide open and have the camera/adptor close the diaphragm when opening the shutter.
If you use a tripod no problem at all but when walking with the camera this becomes annoying.

Pradeep

I'm used to that with the Leica lense already. If I'm walking around the Olympus is my choice.
I've used Leica, Zeiss, Canon, Sony and Nikon lenses on my A7R and I agree, anything wider than 28 rangefinder and you get severe vignetting and color casts with some blurring of corners. The 50 Lux worked very well though. You can happily walk around and use it like you would on a Leica body.

The biggest problem is the Nikon 14-24 which I really wanted to use because of the f2.8 for night skies and auroras. It worked very well, but only because setting it for wide open or fully closed is relatively easy, it is the in-between apertures that are difficult unless one works with doubling of shutter speed, using auto exposure. Still, the lens performs so well that it was worth it. I also had a slight problem because I used a Nikon to Canon and then a Canon to Sony adapter.

Eoin

It is only the rangefinder wide angle lenses that can cause problems, Leica R Lenses such as your 19mm should perform as expected.

iiiNelson

So my Leica 19 and the wide end of the 28-90 would be an issue?
As stated above DSLR lense work perfectly fine. Rangefinder lenses are case by case. For instance the WATE works better than the native 16-35 in reality. The CV 21/1.8 Ultron is fine too. Some UWA work well but most aren't great. That being said I found the 50 Lux FLE was less than impressive on the A7R but great on he A7. I found the ZM50 Planar great on all bodies but the Loxia version is optimized for Sony FE bodies; focuses closer as well.

So try out your M lenses to see if they work for you. You R and Nikon SLR lenses will be fine.