The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Highlight / Shadow Indicator

MiltReeder

I recently had to shoot a very dark concert. My A7r was flashing like a cop car on a hot summer night. The highlights flashed when I over exposed a bit, but the most obnoxious was the shadow flashing in the dark areas (under exposure warning).

I couldn't figure out how to turn the d**n thing off. When I called Sony today, they said it cannot be turned off?

Has anyone experienced this issue and is there a way to turn off the shadow indication?

Milt

pegelli

Does it flash in all review modes? Normally it only should flash in the smaller view with the histograms next to it. In the other "full LCD screen" modes it should not flash.

mbroomfield

That will work. The only other thing to consider is to turn off review altogether when at a concert ... not a fix, but a way to get around the annoyance

MiltReeder

Sorry for not making my issue more clear.

I actually need the hightlight indicator to flash. Stage performance exposure is all about getting the face, with a spot light, correctly exposed. All the black around the performer is irrelevant which is why I only want to turn off the black warning.

Thanks for the inputs,

Milt

jlm

Workshop Member
maybe just lower the black warning all the way? or are you always going to have Zone O in the frame?

pegelli

How do you lower the black warning? I can't find it anywhere among the vast list of menus!
I don't think you can, only possible work around is lowering the jpg contrast but that will also influence your highlight warnings and only works if you're shooting raw.

Btw, I have found on all my Sony camera's (but I don't have an A7 series) is that blinking highlight warnings are pessimistic, and I can almost always recover real highlight texture in blinkies using my raw converter. I do a little bit of stage photography but almost never chimp. I use spot metering on a representative part (covering some skin tones and maybe mid-toned clothes) and I've hardly ever faced problems with burned highlights. First time I look at the pics will be after the show or even at home on my computer.