The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

Pradeep

Guy, that looks great. Very minimal if any pincushioning. That is what I've noted. The lenses are amazingly free of such issues.

Did you check the 85 for CA? I will try those shots later.

iiiNelson

Quick impressions from test shots around my place. The 85/1.8 is phenomenal. The 25/2 is even more amazing than the aforementioned believe it or not. These two combined with my Sony Zeiss 35/1.4, 55/1.8, and 135/1.8 make for an amazing kit.

My only complaint is that neither lens is suitable for IR photography.

Ken_R

Man, thx Guy an Pradeep for all the info!

I have one question. Being that the new lenses are focus by wire, is the manual focus throw adjustable in any way?

Pradeep

Man, thx Guy an Pradeep for all the info!

I have one question. Being that the new lenses are focus by wire, is the manual focus throw adjustable in any way?
I don't know that it is adjustable in the sense that you can change it, but it is really long and allows for very careful manual focusing. Also, it is variable depending upon how slow/fast you turn the focus ring. The faster you turn it, the quicker it goes through the range. You can go from MFD to infinity in about 2/3rd of a turn, but if you go slow, you cover a small distance in the same amount. I don't think I've come across this in any lens before. Very user friendly, IMHO.

iiiNelson

I don't know that it is adjustable in the sense that you can change it, but it is really long and allows for very careful manual focusing. Also, it is variable depending upon how slow/fast you turn the focus ring. The faster you turn it, the quicker it goes through the range. You can go from MFD to infinity in about 2/3rd of a turn, but if you go slow, you cover a small distance in the same amount. I don't think I've come across this in any lens before. Very user friendly, IMHO.
All focus by wire Sony FE lenses work this way but these lenses definitely feel better in my hands than any other to me. A range scale also appears in the EVF while turning the focus ring to let you know if you're near the minimum close focus distance or infinity.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Pradeep and Guy. Guy, was that shot with or without in-camera distortion correction?
Without. I turn all that stuff off in camera. I processed in C1 also..

I still have some shots I want to do as well. But between the few of us that actually have them in our hands, some answers will come around.

Now this coming from me because I am used to big lenses , I find the 85 very well balanced both with and without the vertical grip. It's also very light weight too. To me it's smaller than any 85 1.4 but bigger than some 85 1.8 lenses. I would say middle of the road but you won't hear me complain about any of that.

Focusing by wire is interesting, it's not as bad as the 55 which I had a hard time with. This seems a bit more manual focus friendly. I have no problem nailing it both with zoom on and off. Maybe because it's a longer lens the throw seems nice and smooth. I have not tried to go really fast and reality is if you wanted to that, I would think your just better off in AF. You could do both with rear button on camera in manual focus mode hit middle button to get there than release and fine tune manually. But AF does seem fairly accurate.

I have to play with the speed versus feel a little more with fly by wire. But it's better than the 55 that I know for sure.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tre posted the same time as me so glad he has the same impression with fly by wire. This lens is pretty darn good. One reason I sold my 55 was it was not as friendly fly by wire. Having the Loxia 50 obviously solves that. I'm a 35 guy so having a 35/85 is my main primary glass than I'll add that 25 along with my VC 15 and I'm in lens heaven. After that I'll work on longer. I do have the 70-200 F4 this week as a rental. Been playing with AFC with it and nice.

Ken_R

Oh so it's variable. That is cool. Thx for the info. Yeah, never seen that before.

(Although makes this lens unsuitable for a video rig with focus pull, well at least it can't be marked at set intervals since it varies depending on speed of use)

iiiNelson

Tre posted the same time as me so glad he has the same impression with fly by wire. This lens is pretty darn good. One reason I sold my 55 was it was not as friendly fly by wire. Having the Loxia 50 obviously solves that. I'm a 35 guy so having a 35/85 is my main primary glass than I'll add that 25 along with my VC 15 and I'm in lens heaven. After that I'll work on longer. I do have the 70-200 F4 this week as a rental. Been playing with AFC with it and nice.
Guy my original reaction to Focus by Wire was pure hate (to the point that early on I used my ZM50 as much as my 55FE) but eventually I got used to it. I'm pretty sure that if you tried the 55FE now it would "jive" better but for street/candid shooting I'd tend to agree that the Loxia's may be a better choice.

Once my kit is "complete" I think I may revisit the Loxia's for the days I can just take it very slow.

uhoh7

Finally, almost 2 years after the announcement of the A7 series, there is a world class lens wider than 35mm available, tuned to the sensor.

I certainly would get the lens if I shot a stock A7x, but I would check the centering very closely within the return window.

jfirneno

Hello Pradeep, Guy and Tre:

Kudos for taking the time to evaluate these two lenses. But I don't know whether to thank you or blame you. I've got the 55, both 35s and the 28. Now I have to get the 25? Where does this end. Couldn't you just lie to me and say they're no good? Guy, at least lend me that ski mask.

The really good news is that the focal length coverage is really becoming quite workable.

iiiNelson

Kudos for taking the time to evaluate these two lenses. But I don't know whether to thank you or blame you. I've got the 55, both 35s and the 28. Now I have to get the 25? Where does this end. Couldn't you just lie to me and say they're no good? Guy, at least lend me that ski mask.

The really good news is that the focal length coverage is really becoming quite workable.
If you're happy with the 28/2 then keep it and look no further. If money is no object I think you will find that the 25 destroys the 28 but at a price in currency and a little extra weight if that's of consequence to you.

I'm not really a 28mm guy (it's probably one of my least favorite focal lengths for me as I either want 35 or UWA.) I almost bought it solely on its relatively inexpensive price and pairing with the 55FE. The 25 is a much better choice for me as I can see pairing with the 55 or 85 (or my 35 and the 85) to cover most things with a couple lenses. My 135 covers the long end... For now.

Pradeep

John, it never really ends!

The quest continues and when there is a newer and better product we are all going to lust for it. Just think how far we've come since the early days of digital. Up until now, the cost of 'upgrade' was prohibitive. Sony has changed all that. These two lenses are so much more versatile, sharper and well suited to the A7R that they are simply a 'must buy' for anybody looking to get something in this focal length. The fact that they are cheaper than anything in their class before is simply the icing on an already beautiful cake.

yatlee

Thanks for the simple. They look great and I can't wait to try them. I already have both lenses, but waiting for my A7rii to deliver, hopefully next week in Hong Kong.

ohnri

If you have the Sony 28 f2 would love to see it compared w the 25 Batis.
Also against the Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art

Thanks for the feedback.
I would also like to see some A/B shots between the Batis 25/2 and the Sony 28/2.

I have seen some online comparisons between the Batis 25/2 and the Sony 28/2 that make them look all but indistinguishable.

I don't own either and have been very happy with the outstanding Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 FE and the Sony 16-35 FE but I am curious.

-Bill

biglouis

Looking at the examples at f2.8 and f3.2 I would say the oof areas are smoother and more attractive than the Sony FE 90/2.8 Macro G I have been using for the past 3 weeks.

Which means that if portraiture and not macro is your thing the Batis is better for you.

Just my two cents.

LouisB