The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

Smoothjazz

Guy,

I am liking your last set of portrait shots with the 85mm a lot. That is why I ordered one too, for a good close portrait type of photo. I sold a couple of 90mm lenses, including my Leica Elmarit. It was a fine lens, but with manual focus, I was just missing the fine focus on too many shots. The focus on the Batis looks to be right on; in fact perfect.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I actually like the 3.2 . We get nice DOF but still great OOF areas.

Im really happy with this lens. Getting the 25mm too once I get some more cash flow going.

Turns out I need to shoot it tonight with the A6000 on some stage stuff. My assistant Im sending in the other room the A7II with the 70-200 F4 in crop mode.

lambert

If you're happy with the 28/2 then keep it and look no further. If money is no object I think you will find that the 25 destroys the 28 but at a price in currency and a little extra weight if that's of consequence to you.
The comparisons I've seen from Steve Huff and various others on the web don't show the 25 Batis destroying the 28 FE. In fact, they're very close.

philip_pj

There is a reason the CV90 was f3.5 and the small CY 100mm was f3.5. Haven't used the CV but I bet it's great from wide open, as is the CY. You often benefit from this aperture at this FL range, and end up with a smaller neater package.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/voigtlander/90mm-f35.htm#spex

The B85 gives you the choice of stop, with high IQ wide open, and in dim interiors should work at the same s/speeds as an unstabilized f1.4 due to OIS, if like most you find the OOF acceptable.

Best course of action for 25-28 dilemmas is to consider your usage and frequency of use. The B25 will be more versatile, going by its MTF. Not everyone likes or needs the Zeiss look, however, nor the price tag attached. I tentatively see the FE28 more as a general purpose, light use lens - families, walks. The B25 is more a serious performance lens maybe, deep landscapes, dim ambient lighting shooting - time will tell. Both will sell well.

I got this from Zeiss today:
"Due to the numerous pre-orders, there is a possibility that our first deliveries to some dealers are already sold out. We are doing our utmost to ensure that our dealers have a continual supply of ZEISS Batis. Nevertheless, long delivery times may occur over the coming months."

iiiNelson

I'm not saying I don't see differences. I just don't (going by current comparisons) see the Batis "destroying" the 28 FE.
Well it's all in the look, microcontrast, and transitions for me. I'm a huge fan of Zeiss "3D" look though so there's some underlying bias. For me it is subjectively destroying the 28/2 which is a really good lens in it's own right (you always get the caveat of "for the price" thrown in when mentioned) but it's not the 25 Batis which I haven't found any reservations about in regards to look, color, sharpness, microcontrast, or distortion thus far.

Batis 25mm, first shots

I love this lens...sharp, sharp, sharp. Lovely color. Very nice handling. Even the focus-by-wire isn't bad.

I don't have a cat, so I'll have to start out with a brick wall shot...

Batis 25mm at ƒ2.0 on A7II

Larger version on Flickr

And a few more around the neighborhood -

Batis 25mm at ƒ2.8 on A7II

Batis 25mm at ƒ4.0 on A7II

Batis 25mm at ƒ8.0 on A7II

Last edited:

ddanois

Pradeep, Guy, Tre, Mike,

I hate you all. :ROTFL:

Thanks for the first impressions and the sample photos. I'll have to wait until B&H delivers both sometime in August. In the meantime, more photos please. And Guy, thanks for sharing the RAW images. I looked at them at 100% and liked what I saw.

Joe
I agree Joe! I'm used to being on the leading edge of these new products and the wait is killing me. :(

Derek

Pradeep

Just to pass the time while waiting for the A7RII to arrive next week........:)

During my initial testing of the Batis 25 at home, I took some pictures shooting straight into the sun. Here are the samples. I have cropped the right side of all images so the aspect ratio is changed. I did this for privacy reasons. These were taken without any lens corrections in camera. Apart from the cropping nothing else has been done, all are SOOC otherwise.

The images compare the excellent 16-35 f4 with (IMHO) the even better Batis 25 f2

I took these more to look at CA and flare, not sharpness. However, to my eyes the Batis does look sharper as well. It does fall behind in CA wide open, but that disappears by f5.6 - look at the top left of the image. The flare on the 16-24 makes the image look foggy and darker.

I really like the clarity and lack of flare with the Batis even when the sun is beating down into it.

Pradeep

Attachments

ohnri

working on more images now. AFC tracking is really good I tested it a couple times and seems to track very well. Should be far better with the A7RII over the A7III which these are shot with
Your impressions are, as always, very helpful and interesting.

I found this Batis 85 user's post to be thoughtful and it definitely gives me something to chew on. I believe the camera was a Sony A7ii.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3878629

Would you or any other Batis 85 user care to discuss these points?

I am especially interested in the sections on swirly bokeh and hunting autofocus in moderately dim lighting.

Thanks for all the time you and others contribute.

-Bill

sjg284

Great posts.
Keep debating Batis 25 vs Sony FE 28/2.
Like the size/weight of the Sony (sure and the price), but worry the distortion will drive me nuts.
I plan to shoot a lot of video at this focal length, so not sure if in-camera corrections are made in video mode (or only for JPG stills).

Batis 25 shots look great, and remind me of my great ZM25/2.8 .. distortion free, sharp corner to corner..
Now if I can get over the weight/balance difference..

iiiNelson

Your impressions are, as always, very helpful and interesting.

I found this Batis 85 user's post to be thoughtful and it definitely gives me something to chew on. I believe the camera was a Sony A7ii.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3878629

Would you or any other Batis 85 user care to discuss these points?

I am especially interested in the sections on swirly bokeh and hunting autofocus in moderately dim lighting.

Thanks for all the time you and others contribute.

-Bill
I think the OP of those impressions are valid although I don't know that I agree 100% with his take. The lens does hunt at times on my A7R in lower light but I don't know that it can't be improved in firmware. The focus ring is possibly the best feeling FE lens focus ring to me. I don't find the vignetting bad but I do shoot with lens corrections. I don't see why anyone wouldn't personally and think this is somewhat of a none issue on all lenses provided they can be easily corrected. Computer corrected lenses are the way forward... get used to it as it probably won't go away except on the most expensive lenses and even then...I happen to like the bokeh but it some shots then yes it can be a bit quirky but that's not the norm IMO. For that particular person the 90 Macro might be a better fit for what they may be looking for in optical look.

iiiNelson

Great posts.
Keep debating Batis 25 vs Sony FE 28/2.
Like the size/weight of the Sony (sure and the price), but worry the distortion will drive me nuts.
I plan to shoot a lot of video at this focal length, so not sure if in-camera corrections are made in video mode (or only for JPG stills).

Batis 25 shots look great, and remind me of my great ZM25/2.8 .. distortion free, sharp corner to corner..
Now if I can get over the weight/balance difference..
The weight and balance of either the 25 or 28 is fine (I've tried both.) For me the 25 Batis was worth it as pretty much as close to a no compromise lens as I can get at that price.

Pradeep

I doubt there is a lens made for any camera that is perfect in every way - sharp, great AF, distortion-free, great contrast and color, no CA, light weight and above all, cheap!

I think we all prioritize our needs and then pick what suits us, regardless of any other factor.

Me, I am waiting for the 18-600, 8 oz pancake that costs $80 :D

jfirneno

I doubt there is a lens made for any camera that is perfect in every way - sharp, great AF, distortion-free, great contrast and color, no CA, light weight and above all, cheap!

I think we all prioritize our needs and then pick what suits us, regardless of any other factor.

Me, I am waiting for the 18-600, 8 oz pancake that costs $80 :D
That's reasonable unless you require F/0.25 instead of F/0.95. Then it will cost you $100.

Last edited:

ohnri

I think the OP of those impressions are valid although I don't know that I agree 100% with his take. The lens does hunt at times on my A7R in lower light but I don't know that it can't be improved in firmware. The focus ring is possibly the best feeling FE lens focus ring to me. I don't find the vignetting bad but I do shoot with lens corrections. I don't see why anyone wouldn't personally and think this is somewhat of a none issue on all lenses provided they can be easily corrected. Computer corrected lenses are the way forward... get used to it as it probably won't go away except on the most expensive lenses and even then...I happen to like the bokeh but it some shots then yes it can be a bit quirky but that's not the norm IMO. For that particular person the 90 Macro might be a better fit for what they may be looking for in optical look.
Wow! What a thoughtful and helpful evaluation.

The Batis lenses appear to be all they are cracked up to be.

However, I will probably stand pat with my 90 Macro for the time being.

At the wide end, I am not fully convinced that the 25 Batis has enough extra oomph to make it worth the premium over the Sony 28 for my usage. Therefore, I will probably order neither and be happy with my excellent 16-35 FE and the truely remarkable 35 f/1.4 FE.

In any event, I feel that all my lenses are going to get an upgrade once the A7rii arrives.

Thanks,

Bill