The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

davidstock

David, from what I've seen, the Batis 85 does not produce that much pincushioning. I will do some more tests and can send a RAW file to you. Yes, it is not perfect, but pretty close to it.

I too am looking for the smallest package with the bestquality, it has been a long road, but we are getting there and I have faith :)
Thanks very much. I'd love to get a test file. I've seen some sample images that look a bit scary on the distortion front. Some examples: the shelving in the middle image here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56217493. Or the skyscraper photo near the bottom of this post: http://www.talkemount.com/threads/13185/.

Hopefully all will be fixed through the magic of software without too much damage....

--d

spence

Any consensus yet on how the Batis 25 does at infinity?

Looks very nice, but I want to be sure it's not like the Sonnar on the RX1, which apparently is tuned somehow for better short- and medium-range sharpness, and is supposedly rather weak at infinity.

I don't pretend to have any understanding of why that might be. I would be using the Batis for street and architecture photography, but also for landscape, where infinity performance is obviously hugely important.

cheers,
spence

k-hawinkler

Just to pass the time while waiting for the A7RII to arrive next week........:)

During my initial testing of the Batis 25 at home, I took some pictures shooting straight into the sun. Here are the samples. I have cropped the right side of all images so the aspect ratio is changed. I did this for privacy reasons. These were taken without any lens corrections in camera. Apart from the cropping nothing else has been done, all are SOOC otherwise.

The images compare the excellent 16-35 f4 with (IMHO) the even better Batis 25 f2

I took these more to look at CA and flare, not sharpness. However, to my eyes the Batis does look sharper as well. It does fall behind in CA wide open, but that disappears by f5.6 - look at the top left of the image. The flare on the 16-24 makes the image look foggy and darker.

I really like the clarity and lack of flare with the Batis even when the sun is beating down into it.

Pradeep

Many thanks for these comparisons.
The flare resistance of the 25/2 convinced me to get this lens.

Question: How flare resistant is the Batis 85/1.8? TIA.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks to a forum member who gave me a lead. I now have the 25mm on its way. I know what I'm shooting this weekend. Lol