The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That 90/2.8 macro may be very good, 90/2.8 vs. Otus 85/1.4

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

LensRentals did run a short test on Sony 90/2.8G Macro, and it was amazingly good. Now DxO-mark has tested the 90/2.8. This gave me the opportunity to compare it to the probably best lens in that range, the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4.

The image below shows both lenses at f/4 which is probably best aperture for both.

Now, stopping the Otus down to f/5.6 essentially makes the curves overlap, as the Otus is a bit limited by diffraction. The Sony is still at f/4, so it is less limited by diffraction.

This says that the Otus is the better lens, but the Sony 90/2.8G is pretty close at optimal apertures.

For me it seems that the Sony 90/2.8G may be the best 85-90 mm option if f/1.4 - f/1.8 is not needed. I guess that I cancel my order for the Batis and buy the Sony 90/2.8G macro instead.

Best regards
Erik

Pradeep

I wonder how the Batis 85 would compare.

For me low-light capability is very useful in a long lens and the 1.8 of the Batis is therefore indispensable. It is also smaller and cheaper than the Otus which works even better. I am willing to accept a slightly lower image quality - from what I see in my own tests, it is better than 'good enough' for me.

iiiNelson

For me low-light capability is very useful in a long lens and the 1.8 of the Batis is therefore indispensable. It is also smaller and cheaper than the Otus which works even better. I am willing to accept a slightly lower image quality - from what I see in my own tests, it is better than 'good enough' for me.
I have no doubt that the 90 Macro is very likely to outperform the 85 Batis in resolution charts. Most people buy the Batis for it's look/speed for portraits. In any case they're similarly priced so go with the one that best fit your needs. If you want the more sterile/maximum sharpness then the Macro is your lens. If you want more character, microcontrast, pop, and stunning transitions then go for the Batis.

From using both of the Batis lenses I'd expect them to be somewhere between the 35 Distagon FE and the 55 Sonnar FE on DXO charts (probably closer to the 35 than the 55 though.) I could be wrong though.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

What is in focus for me is good performance at large apertures and with little or no axial chromatic aberration (green/magenta fringing in OOF areas).

I think that the Batis fills that bill, but it seems that the new 90/2.8G is also extremely sharp already at full aperture.

Originally, I ordered the Batis, but I may feel that a Macro lens is more useful. It is hard to judge axial chroma on basis of the DxO-tests, but lateral chroma is well corrected (about half amount compared to Otus) so it seems a generous amount of SD/AD glass was used.

All indications I have seen on the Batis are really excellent and I have little doubt it will do very well in different tests.

For me a large aperture is not important, but macro is something I need. So, what I think the 90/2.8 offers is a macro lens with a decent maximum aperture that performs very well at that aperture.

Guy Mancuso posted some raw images shot with the Batis 85/1.4 recently, and it is definitively very good at full aperture.

So, if I would need a portrait type lens large aperture shooting I would go with the Batis, but I just want a very well corrected lens at full aperture. So I go with the Macro.

Best regards
Erik

Pradeep

I have no doubt that the 90 Macro is very likely to outperform the 85 Batis in resolution charts. Most people buy the Batis for it's look/speed for portraits. In any case they're similarly priced so go with the one that best fit your needs. If you want the more sterile/maximum sharpness then the Macro is your lens. If you want more character, microcontrast, pop, and stunning transitions then go for the Batis.

From using both of the Batis lenses I'd expect them to be somewhere between the 35 Distagon FE and the 55 Sonnar FE on DXO charts (probably closer to the 35 than the 55 though.) I could be wrong though.
The 90 is probably sharper from what I am hearing. But since I do not need Macro, the quality of the Batis is more appealing to me.

As an aside, I am not convinced DXO numbers are really that reliable or truly transferable to field conditions, but that's just my own opinion.

iiiNelson

The 90 is probably sharper from what I am hearing. But since I do not need Macro, the quality of the Batis is more appealing to me.

As an aside, I am not convinced DXO numbers are really that reliable or truly transferable to field conditions, but that's just my own opinion.
I agree and that's why I bought the 85 Batis myself.

Resolution isn't everything (as certain aesthetics like "character" are sometimes considered optical faults) but I have no doubt the DXO tests are completely accurate when it comes to quantifying characteristics of a lens/sensor combination. A higher number doesn't always mean that a certain lens is "better" though I agree.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Well, Guy Mancuso's raw image of that building shows that the Batis can generate a lot of Moiré at full aperture, that is a excellent proof that it does outresolve the sensor.

I did not look at the DxO-mark numbers but looked at all diagrams at some depth and have drawn my conclusions.

Now, I am perhaps shooting twenty times more macro than large aperture, small DoF images. So Macro is important to me. Would I need large aperture and no close up, I would go with the Batis. But, if I can have one lens instead of two I prefer to have a single lens. Based on the available data I canceled the Batis and ordered the Sony instead. It was a close call.

Just to say, MTF data for the Batis at the Zeiss site is very promising, but so is data for the 90/2.8G at LensRentals.

It would be nice to order five samples of each and shoot them under real life conditions for a few months and make an educated choice, but I don't feel I have that option. So I am very interested in tests.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited:

rga

Sorry: which lens was this? and wide open?
Thanks

I just took delivery of this lens yesterday and will be working on a review. First impressions are that it is very sharp and that the autofocus on an A7II is disappointing for portraiture in dusk light, even with the focus range limiter in use.

A few of my first shots around the yard:

DSC00328
by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

DSC00343
by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

DSC00362
by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

DSC00409
by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

DSC00410
by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

joe_leads

Sorry: which lens was this? and wide open?
Thanks
Just look at the Flickr pages? Could you take a close-up of a tomato with the Batis? ;) 90/2.8.

Who needs f/1.8 with that shallow DOF and nice bokeh? I love the FE 90/2.8, it's a really great lens.

Amin

Yep, was the 90 macro. Probably the sharpest lens I have ever tried, and the bokeh is very much to my liking as well!