The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 70-200 F4 issues

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I rented this lens for this week to do runway shooting and have to be honest on every AFC focus setting the lens hunts pretty bad. I mean I'll jump from 30 ft to infinity or minimum focus very quickly out of focus. It's so bad my assistant and I went to AFS large focus box to upper vertical spot to work. Now the lens is very sharp and doing a good job here but AFC it seems like something wrong with the lens. We are able to work so not in panic mode but not what I expected. Just for the record and not to blame low light because I control the production booth so I'm at ISO 800 1/320 at 5.6 so I really can't blame the lighting because it's bright. This is with both the A7II and A6000. A6000 is actually better here.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Curious indeed! I've just come off a 2 week rafting trip in the Yukon and Alaska and used this lens for over 1,000 shots in all weather conditions and it worked perfectly the whole time. Sounds like you got a bad example, Guy.

davidstock

I'm sure you already checked this, but is the focus limiter on or off? Focus can be indecisive with the limiter off, although the lens gets there eventually. On the other hand, I discovered that when I turn the limiter on, it sometimes prevents me from focussing on things much farther out than I anticipated. (Like 9-10 feet away.) The range is indicated on the lens, but somehow I still get surprised once in a while.

I use the small focusing rectangle with no problems, but on the other hand I seldom use continuous focus with this lens.

--d

Jim DE

Yeah it surprised me too Guy...... I have seen some excellent wildlife and BIF stuff from Bill using that lens on his a7II.... Bill's photo's with that lens is one of the reasons I took interest in the A7 line.