The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25 photos

dmward

I'm a strong disliker of the 28mm focal length, so would go for the 25mm (and wish it were actually a 24mm!).

Thanks for the images David! Really helpful, and make me feel better about the Batis' rendering, although it still isn't perfect for my tastes.

---Michael
You're welcome.
I was looking at the three images after reading John's comments and noticed something interesting about the field of view.

The Batis image shows more on all sides than the 24mm Canon. I'm basing this on the fact that I can see more of specific flower or stem elements on each edge. Not sure why. The Canon lens front element, given its size and the need for an adapter, was a bit closer to the scene. Not sure that was sufficient to create the difference in field of view.

I guess the best test would be to use a focus rail on the tripod so that the front element of each lens is at the same distance from the focus point.

I also realized after doing this that I could have included the Canon TSE 24 II, its slower but probably the sharpest of the group. If I get a change I'll do a bit more playing later this week. I'll also try to find a more appealing scene.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I can't judge anything with LR, hate that program on just about every level. But that's me. I'll take the Batis over anything except the Canon 24 TSE. Having the 35 1.4 even though a nice lens the 28 just does not fit in. I'm first and foremost a lens cap 35mm FOV guy. So 28 just does not gap well. Having the Batis 85 I'm pretty happy with how they function.

I'll make this very clear, you don't like your Batis 25 I'll buy it right now for full price.

dmward

Well I can't judge anything with LR, hate that program on just about every level. But that's me. I'll take the Batis over anything except the Canon 24 TSE. Having the 35 1.4 even though a nice lens the 28 just does not fit in. I'm first and foremost a lens cap 35mm FOV guy. So 28 just does not gap well. Having the Batis 85 I'm pretty happy with how they function.

I'll make this very clear, you don't like your Batis 25 I'll buy it right now for full price.
Guy,
Just a reminder; the four original images I posted were the camera JPGs. No processing applied outside the camera. The second two were to illustrate Lightroom and Photoshop processing options on the image shot with the Batis. No intention to say that Lightroom, or Photoshop was required to improve the file. My guess is that C1 or other processing software would do a good job. The best part is starting with a quality raw file.

Lightroom takes getting used to.
I think of using Lightroom for processing like a commercial lab that runs everything through a machine. Acceptable for the middle 80% but not going to get it done for the outer 10% at either end. That's why the CC package is so useful for my purposes.

Since you use MF, I expect you've become comfortable with C1. That's a program I can't get my head into. I've used it when working on projects with other photographers who had it as their primary software, but its just not an interface that I can get my head around.

I've done print projects with color management from the raw file through the press proofs and the final printing. Lightroom to Photoshop to Indesign to printer. Smooth as silk. Its what one gets used to.

As for the 28mm field of view. I agree wholeheartedly. My favored prime kit for years was 24, 35, 90 or 105.

I like the Batis build, its light, smooth functioning and makes nice images. The 28 is REALLY small but not a lens I crave. It's probably the one to do. Although at its price point it may be work keeping in the case "just in case".

mjm6

No problem, that's cool. Do you want to sell me your Sony 28?
Don't have the Sony 28mm, so I can't help you there.

The differences are subtle in there to be sure, and of course, people's preferences are personal and don't need to be defended as well.

---Michael

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agree that at this level, comparisons are virtually 100% subjective :thumbup:

V

Vivek

I have the Sony 28/2. I will add the Batis 25/2 in due course. Thanks all for your thoughts and samples. Looking good. :)

dmward

Out this morning looking for some more interesting scenes to shot.

Here are two.
These have been processed in Lightroom. Exposure, Highlight, Shadow, White point, Black point, Clarity, Kodachrome preset, Radial Filter for some edge burning, and sharpening.

The first:

This was in a Cook County Forest Preserve Park. Its about as close to wilderness as one can get within a couple miles of my house. :)
I was looking for a scene where I could focus at infinity. The focus point is the tree trunk in the middle of the frame. Its at infinity focus. The breech tree trunk exits the frame on the left quite close to the camera position.

The second:

This is a early settler's cabin that was moved from its original site and preserved in a village park.

Similar processing in Lightroom.

I'll post the camera processed JPGs in a thread I started comparing several lenses with the Batis 25.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/55578-batis-25-along-canon-tse-24-sony-ziess-16-35-a.html