The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25 photos

uhoh7

Great shots, but to really really see, I like a longer shot with distant details at edges and at least one corner. That's when the Sony sensors struggle most.

But the lens sure looks great in these :)

A close look shows some softness in the corners, but impossible to really tell without a direct from RAW (no pp), long shot, at infinity.

The Ute

Great shots, but to really really see, I like a longer shot with distant details at edges and at least one corner. That's when the Sony sensors struggle most.

A close look shows some softness in the corners, but impossible to really tell without a direct from RAW (no pp), long shot, at infinity.
All these were shot @ f8 tripod mounted w remote release.
Still learning. Slot canyons w this range of light are not easy subjects.

Pradeep

Here's a couple from Atlantic City yesterday, no sharpening, just adjusted the exposure, both at 5.6, the second image is cropped a bit unfortunately.

Attachments

Pradeep

No. Just some processing of the jpegs so far.
Increases in sharpness and saturation mostly.
I use Topaz adjust for most of my post processing.
Thanks, I was wondering how they got so sharp and rich.

What I've noted though is that the lens is really so sharp that even SOOC it is very impressive.

The Ute

Thanks, I was wondering how they got so sharp and rich.

What I've noted though is that the lens is really so sharp that even SOOC it is very impressive.
The files seem highly malleable. Leaves you w all sorts of options.

The Ute

Pradeep and "The Ute", thanks for posting these photos. Very sharp corner-to-corner, edge-to-edge. It'll be interesting to see how this lens performs on the a7R II. In the meantime, keep the shots coming. :thumbs:

Joe
You're welcome. The pleasure is all mine.
I could not afford both the 7rII and the Batis so I decided to just go w the lens.

mjm6

Well, it is a bit disappointing, but maybe not a deal breaker.

It has what appears to be excellent hyperfocal performance in the landscapes. It doesn't feel like there is anything more you can get out of images like those.

However, in the last shot (the macro flower nead/far shot), the lens exhibits disturbing nervousness in the OOF areas about midway back in the field. You can see rendering halos in the field.

So, a Mandler-rendering-style lens, this is not. I'm not sure if absolute optical correction for color and sharpness in modern lenses is mutually exclusive of smooth bokeh, but neither Leica nor Zeiss appear to be trying to maintain a smooth transition to OOF areas in their lenses, and I find it somewhat disappointing.

That said, I am running a Sony/Minolta 24mm A lens on the a7r and was hoping that the Batis would be a good replacement for that (I want native FE mount lenses). I still think it might, but I'll have to do a bit more image evaluation before I decide to make the purchase. At this point, it's clearly not an improvement over my existing available lens.

Keep up the great shots, I think the images a very useful to see the capabilities, and you certainly can't beat the subject matter an location!

---Michael

The Ute

Well, it is a bit disappointing, but maybe not a deal breaker.

It has what appears to be excellent hyperfocal performance in the landscapes. It doesn't feel like there is anything more you can get out of images like those.

However, in the last shot (the macro flower nead/far shot), the lens exhibits disturbing nervousness in the OOF areas about midway back in the field. You can see rendering halos in the field.

So, a Mandler-rendering-style lens, this is not. I'm not sure if absolute optical correction for color and sharpness in modern lenses is mutually exclusive of smooth bokeh, but neither Leica nor Zeiss appear to be trying to maintain a smooth transition to OOF areas in their lenses, and I find it somewhat disappointing.

That said, I am running a Sony/Minolta 24mm A lens on the a7r and was hoping that the Batis would be a good replacement for that (I want native FE mount lenses). I still think it might, but I'll have to do a bit more image evaluation before I decide to make the purchase. At this point, it's clearly not an improvement over my existing available lens.

Keep up the great shots, I think the images a very useful to see the capabilities, and you certainly can't beat the subject matter an location!

---Michael
Perhaps it was just poor technique on my part ?
I am not really a Macro guy.
I'll try to post some others when I get a chance.
And you are welcome.

mjm6

Perhaps it was just poor technique on my part ?
I am not really a Macro guy.
I'll try to post some others when I get a chance.
And you are welcome.
No, I don't think it is technique. It is in the optical formula for the lens. There are lots of examples of this in modern lenses if you go out and look for it.

The effect may be reduced with aperture changes, so it may be an example of avoiding the larger apertures for smoother results possibly.

This is all opinion, though. Some people don't find the OOF areas objectionable and others will. My feeling is that I don't wan the optical characteristics to create so strong of a signature that they detract from the image composition. For most cases, that means I want a smooth bokeh in the OOF areas.

Overall, I think the images look great, and I am tempted to get the lens to test and see if it will meet my expectations.

I have the 16-35mm zoom, so I don't really need this focal length independently, but I do suspect the Batis will outperform the zoom at that focal length. That's about the point where the performance falls off on the zoom. I really bought it for the 16-20mm range, figuring I would get the 25mm (or continue using the 24mm Minolta A lens I have).

---Michael

The Ute

No, I don't think it is technique. It is in the optical formula for the lens. There are lots of examples of this in modern lenses if you go out and look for it.

The effect may be reduced with aperture changes, so it may be an example of avoiding the larger apertures for smoother results possibly.

This is all opinion, though. Some people don't find the OOF areas objectionable and others will. My feeling is that I don't wan the optical characteristics to create so strong of a signature that they detract from the image composition. For most cases, that means I want a smooth bokeh in the OOF areas.

Overall, I think the images look great, and I am tempted to get the lens to test and see if it will meet my expectations.

I have the 16-35mm zoom, so I don't really need this focal length independently, but I do suspect the Batis will outperform the zoom at that focal length. That's about the point where the performance falls off on the zoom. I really bought it for the 16-20mm range, figuring I would get the 25mm (or continue using the 24mm Minolta A lens I have).

---Michael
I hope folks will use this thread as place to show their Batis 25 photos.
I intend to keep placing mine here.
If it serves as more then that is an added bonus.

- - - Updated - - -

---Michael
I hope folks will use this thread as place to show their Batis 25 photos.
I intend to keep placing mine here.
If it serves as more then that is an added bonus.
Since my primary interest is Landscape the lens should work well for me.
On the A7r it feels nice and light which is also what I was after.