The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiiNelson

Re: Fun with sony A7RII images

Indeed. I used to shoot an A7R and made a fair number of prints, 24x36 being the largest. They were excellent. Even based on these JPEG's that Quentin has shared, I think the sensor in this "II" version is in another league. I suspect prints will be quite outstanding.
Agreed and for all of the perceived shortcomings of the A7R, the printed results can be downright outstanding.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

FYI got a email update from Amazon that availability has moved till the 7th. I pre ordered right away so looks like a stock or shipping more likely scenerio.

Finally home too

rjp85

Of all the RAW samples I've downloaded from PhotographyBlog, I was most impressed with the ones shot with the 90 macro. That seems to be a must have lens for this system, but the same can be said for the 25/2, 35/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8.

A year ago, I had no interest in a Sony system. It looks like such a great system now with all these lenses.

iiiNelson

Of all the RAW samples I've downloaded from PhotographyBlog, I was most impressed with the ones shot with the 90 macro. That seems to be a must have lens for this system, but the same can be said for the 25/2, 35/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8.

A year ago, I had no interest in a Sony system. It looks like such a great system now with all these lenses.
Yeah I move to the FE when it was first released and I eventually sold all of my Leica gear. The lens lineup is pretty great now in the key areas. I'm happily awaiting a long portrait lens between 120-150mm still and maybe a long zoom eventually. Everything else I feel is adequately covered now.

Jim DE

FWIW Guy, a Manager in the Sony pro service plan is still saying Aug 4th will be the USA Sony Store's shipping date as does the CS reps in the Sony Store ...... I feel it is going to be a very long week especially after seeing Quentin's and some other of the posted images from this body around the web :(

We need a Early Adopter's 12 step program ;)

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

^^^^^^ - beautiful picture, Barry!
Many thanks Doug for the kind words, hope to see your monochrome work back over here again when you eventually get your A7RII ;) as I suspect you will :D ...Cheers Barry

dandrewk

There are some good shots here and give us all we need to know about the new sensor.

A question though: How in the world did the photographer manage to acquire so many sensor spots on such a new camera?

AlexLF

It's not just you, me too... And it could be our noses, mine is a pretty long and pointed schnoz. Anyway, the A7r actually suited me better than the A7II, mostly due to grip configuration. A7rII is *not* on my radar -- I am going to wait for that sensor to show up in the Nikon D900 (or whatever) in a few months, and get that version as I have a great stable of glass.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with the images Quentin has posted, but the poor (for me) ergos and relative dearth of good AF glass has bumped me off the Sony A platform.

Caveat is, I do have my A7r at LifePixel getting a full-spectrum convert, but I sold off all my dedicated A glass except a 24-70 and of course have a Metabones Nikon to Sony converter for my N glass.
The reason I sold (well, almost) Nikon gear I always wanted two bodies. And 2 D810's is too much (with the lenses). But A7Rii is smaller and lighter so are the lenses I think, which is good. Sensor is great too, steady shot, etc, so I'm going for it. But the ergo... well, I hope I'll get used to it. BTW, I like my a6000 cam for everyday use.

But you mentioned D900... it got me thinking... :)

Jim DE

There are some good shots here and give us all we need to know about the new sensor.

A question though: How in the world did the photographer manage to acquire so many sensor spots on such a new camera?
Hey I am old and my eye's must be weaker than when I was younger but I just looked at the Quentin's images and I don't see what you are referring to. I see empty ceiling hooks in the shop window pic but I just don't see a single sensor spot. On that note my original NEX5 has sensor spots right out of it's sealed box as did my NEX7 so spots would not be all that unusual. :banghead:

dandrewk

Hey I am old and my eye's must be weaker than when I was younger but I just looked at the Quentin's images and I don't see what you are referring to. I see empty ceiling hooks in the shop window pic but I just don't see a single sensor spot. On that note my original NEX5 has sensor spots right out of it's sealed box as did my NEX7 so spots would not be all that unusual. :banghead:
Not Quentin's images, I was referring to the images posted in PhotographyBlog. Several sensor spots are apparent.

No big deal, but it usually takes a few weeks for a spot or two to find it's way onto my sensor from a new camera. And this is even more extended with the A7II's IBIS, which seems to do a great job at eliminating dust spots.

dwood

Many thanks Doug for the kind words, hope to see your monochrome work back over here again when you eventually get your A7RII ;) as I suspect you will :D ...Cheers Barry
Barry, I have to admit that the A7RII is pretty tempting. I know you're holding out for the A9 but I'm a bit surprised that A7RII pictures haven't started showing up from you. Soon, right? ;)

Barry Haines

Barry, I have to admit that the A7RII is pretty tempting. I know you're holding out for the A9 but I'm a bit surprised that A7RII pictures haven't started showing up from you. Soon, right? ;)
Doug, I will let you into a secret :D I know exactly the date when the A9 will be announced :shocked: It's the day after I succumb to Pay-paling a A7RII :facesmack:

Uaiomex

Wanna bet? 😉

What more do we need, hope for? Will this (finally) be the last camera body we buy?

Unless someone develops a camera with all these features/performance, AND cures lower back pain, this will probably be the last camera I purchase.

rjp85

Yeah I move to the FE when it was first released and I eventually sold all of my Leica gear. The lens lineup is pretty great now in the key areas. I'm happily awaiting a long portrait lens between 120-150mm still and maybe a long zoom eventually. Everything else I feel is adequately covered now.
Zeiss 135 f/2 APO?

iiiNelson

Zeiss 135 f/2 APO?
No I have a Sony Zeiss 135/1.8 already and it's arguably the best lens Siny has ever made. That being said I want to get away from adapting lenses except in special cases. I want a native solution. This is the closest thing to one combined with a LA-E4.

Status
Not open for further replies.