The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LA-E3 vs LA-EA4 for A7RII

gurtch

Hi folks:
Right now I use a Sony A7R with both native lenses, and an LA-EA4 adapter to use my numerous Minolta and Sony "A" mount lenses. The LA-EA4 works very well; it allows auto focus, EXIF data, etc. Sony now lists the smaller, lighter, and cheaper LA-E3 as the adapter to use on the A7RII. I assume it will allow auto focus, EXIF data, etc? Am I correct to assume the LA-EA4, which I already own, will also work on the A7RII? I plan on purchasing an A7RII after the feeding frenzy dies down.
Thanks
Dave in NJ

V

Vivek

Hi Dave, the LA-EA3 would be more suitable for the A7RII because of the new AF in the A7RII.

Advantages:
1. You do not lose any light like in the EA4 that has a pellicle mirror.
2. No need for AF tuning each lens.
3. Less power consumption (though likely very little difference).

Jim DE

Hi Dave, the LA-EA3 would be more suitable for the A7RII because of the new AF in the A7RII.

Advantages:
1. You do not lose any light like in the EA4 that has a pellicle mirror.
2. No need for AF tuning each lens.
3. Less power consumption (though likely very little difference).
Vivek correct me if I am wrong but I heard the screw drive focus lenses will no longer AF on the a7rII with the #3 adapter..... only motor AF lenses will focus. This knocks out all his Minolta glass.

iiiNelson

Vivek correct me if I am wrong but I heard the screw drive focus lenses will no longer AF on the a7rII with the #3 adapter..... only motor AF lenses will focus. This knocks out all his Minolta glass.
Youll still need the LA-E4 for screw driven lenses.

V

Vivek

Thanks for that Jim. :)

Still recovering from a jetlag, I suppose? :eek:

Dave, My apologies.

gurtch

Thanks all. Yes I do have some older Minolta lenses, so I guess I will keep the LA-EA4. (or maybe add an LA-E3 as well). Some of my favorite Minolta lenses are the awesome 20mm f2.8, and the 500 Mirror. The 500 should be awesome on an A7RII: a 500 mirror with auto focus, and image stabilization!
Dave

Jim DE

;);) gurtch.....that combo is not unusual being as every A mount Sony or Minolta digital body has been able to give those functional features with the 500mm f8 ;);)

I have one and it is a excellent copy but has been sitting a lot since getting the 150-600 Tammy..... The 500 f8 is a much lighter package though.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I sold my LAe4 and bought the 3 for my Sigma 24-70 2.8. Right now on the A7ii and A6000 it does not work well at all. I'm hoping on the A7RII it will work with full AF modes across the screen. Will see Thursday if not than I may have to sell them both. Don't know until it gets here.

gurtch

;);) gurtch.....that combo is not unusual being as every A mount Sony or Minolta digital body has been able to give those functional features with the 500mm f8 ;);)

I have one and it is a excellent copy but has been sitting a lot since getting the 150-600 Tammy..... The 500 f8 is a much lighter package though.
Right you are Jim. I still have my Alpha A-900, and love it. I also have a D800E so the A-900 gets little use. The A900 and 500mm mirror is awesome....have made some really unusual photos with that combo.
Dave

Guy Mancuso

Great question Jim. First off you need 2.8 you need 2.8. I use it strictly for PR type work and it is a good lens for the low cost. But you know me I'm a pig when it comes to glass and needs to be near perfect and I hate zooms so take this with that bias in my comments. It's rated fairly good. The tamron is rated higher but it's 1200 dollars too. Now it does focus nice on the A7's bodies with the Lae4 but it's center AF cluster. I'm hoping with the A7rII with the Lae3 it will do full AF points across the screen with speed. It should work but will see Thursday. The good news it's not a expensive lens at around 500 used or so. See if I can find the lens review for you

JMaher

Thanks - I am struggling with getting both a normal zoom for the A7R2 and or a 24. I don't like the FE 24-70. I end up shooting with the 55 much of the time (when I would use a 24-70 or 24-105) but I do need wider and a zoom occasionally. I also looked at the 16-35 but I really only need down to 24.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Thanks - I am struggling with getting both a normal zoom for the A7R2 and or a 24. I don't like the FE 24-70. I end up shooting with the 55 much of the time (when I would use a 24-70 or 24-105) but I do need wider and a zoom occasionally. I also looked at the 16-35 but I really only need down to 24.

Jim
I was actually thinking of going back to the 24-70. Reason being it has better ISO levels and looks like we gain some with BSI and the focusing is far better. If you want to trade your 24-70 that might be something we can do. I have the Lae3 too. But I want to see if it works first. Want to make sure it works perfectly. Otherwise I'll eBay the thing.

JMaher

I no longer have a 24-70. The endless struggle to find the right lens:)
Jim

I was actually thinking of going back to the 24-70. Reason being it has better ISO levels and looks like we gain some with BSI and the focusing is far better. If you want to trade your 24-70 that might be something we can do. I have the Lae3 too. But I want to see if it works first. Want to make sure it works perfectly. Otherwise I'll eBay the thing.

ohnri

I just picked up the 3 and the 70-400G 2 for use with my forthcoming A7r2.

The combination hunts a great deal with the venerable A7.

I have only tried it near dusk so it may do better in direct sunlight tomorrow.

Although it is nice that all focus modes work. And the IQ seems pretty good.

Possibly the AF will be speedier with the A7r2. At least IBIS will be helpful.

The next few days will tell.

Also, Sony is now closing their Costa Mesa store, leaving NYC as their final Sony branded store in the U.S.

-Bill

ohnri

I just picked up the 3 and the 70-400G 2 for use with my forthcoming A7r2.

The combination hunts a great deal with the venerable A7.

I have only tried it near dusk so it may do better in direct sunlight tomorrow.

Although it is nice that all focus modes work. And the IQ seems pretty good.

Possibly the AF will be speedier with the A7r2. At least IBIS will be helpful.

The next few days will tell.

Also, Sony is now closing their Costa Mesa store, leaving NYC as their final Sony branded store in the U.S.

-Bill
Apparently, the A7r2 can use PDAF with the 3 adapter while the A7 only uses CDAF.

Now I anticipate far speedier AF with the A7r2.

-Bill

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Apparently, the A7r2 can use PDAF with the 3 adapter while the A7 only uses CDAF.

Now I anticipate far speedier AF with the A7r2.

-Bill
I would be very interested in the 80-400 G2 combined with the LA-E3 on the A7rII. This could become my wildlife combo if it works and till a native 80-400 FE would be available.

So folks, please report your findings about performance and IQ of this combo, this would be very helpful and important to me!

Many thanks in advance

Peter

SamSS

I read this on SAR from a new a7r2 user raised a concern about #3 #4 adaptors using SSM & screw drive lenses. No free lunch? Could anyone with the new a7r2 confirm this?

Bad news for sports photographers.

Just tested my a7RII, to see if it has improved from a7II with LAEA-3 and 4 adapters.

Regardless if tracking preference is set to "Release" or "AF" priorty...
Regardless if LAEA-3 adapted to Sony SSM lenses...
Regardless if LAEA-4 adapted to Sony/Minolta screw drive lenses...

There is NO AF-TRACKING while in "Continuous High" motor drive setting. AF locks on first frame and never attempts to readjust AF. Can shoot a million photos and it never attempts to track or even refocus. Doesn't work.

Set camera to "Continuous Low" motor drive setting (about 2fps) and it will track both with LAEA-3 adapted Sony SSM, and LAEA-4 adapted Sony/Minolta screw drive lenses. Seems to track ok, about like a Sony a200 camera. Not nearly as good as a77, a77II, a900, a700, a99.

They didn't fix it.

This problem was reported back in April on Dyxum concerning a7II and LAEA-4 adapter.
Dyxum page not found...

Various users tested their systems with similar to identical results. No AF tracking while in "Continuous High" motor drive.

_________

More bad news...

With LAEA-3 adapted to Sony SSM lenses, the "Flexible Spot" focus area is limited to a perfect square. No far edge spots available.

With LAEA-4 adapted to Sony/Minolta screwdrive lenses, the "Flexible Spot" area is limited to the standard a99, a77 focus area. No extra wide spots available like on a77II. It's a little smaller than the LAEA-3 focus area with Sony SSM lenses.

While the a7RII is a dramatic improvement over a7II with LAEA-3 and SSM lenses, it's still not as fast or sure footed, or as quick to react as either camera is with LAEA-4 adapted lenses, SSM or Screwdrive. And that's not nearly as fast as any of the higher end A-Mount cameras, including the old a900 and a700.

I've found other interesting things about a7RII with LAEA adapted lenses. It's not the best news but I want to do more testing before making final conclusions.

Sports and fast action photographers beware. Your mileage may vary. Your tests may show differently. But so far, I've found no E-Mount solution for AF tracking high speed continuous motor that even comes close to a99, a77, a77II, a900, a700.

Annna T

I read this on SAR from a new a7r2 user raised a concern about #3 #4 adaptors using SSM & screw drive lenses. No free lunch? Could anyone with the new a7r2 confirm this?
There are many cameras doing the same, including my Canon 5d and 6d and the Olympus OMD. It is more or less standard to have AF tracking with continuous shooting set to low and focus on the first shot when CAF is activated with the high speed continuous shooting. Only high level pro camera tailored for action/sport will allow you focus tracking at high speed.

Now the whole question is how much fps you get in either low speed or high speed. 2.5 fps is pretty low and 4fps is often available as low speed. The OMD-E-M5II for instance has a high speed of about 10fps and low at 4fps or lower (customizable). But then the sensor is only offering 16MB. For a long time high end Canon and Nikon bodies came in two versions : one for resolution which was slower and one for action, much speedier, but with less resolution.

IMO it is irrealist to expect that a high resolution body like the A7RII will behave like an action camera, especially with adapted and older lenses.

nsng

Here is a link from sonyalpharumors.com to a Chinese video that shows the difference in A7Rll AF speed between the LA EA3 and LA EA4. The lens used is the 70-200 Gll SSM. He is saying with the LA EA4, the AF is slightly faster.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-a7rii-extensive-autofocus-test-in-chinese/#disqus_thread