The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Seems that the A7rII plays better with Leica wide angles

iiiNelson

How good is the Batis against the Elmar 24? That Elmar is one super sharp lens for landscape stuff, probably the sharpest Leica wide. It just has a bit too much contrast for my liking and kinda slow for other uses. I'm waiting for a Loxia 28/2 (or even 28/1.4, but that might not ever happen). The Cron 28 is not on-par with other lenses I have.
Depends on what you value and I agree the 24 Elmar is a great lens although I'd prefer the 24 Elmarit over it all day given the choice between the two. I owned the 24 Elmar for 3 years and I've owned the 25 Batis for 3 weeks with hardly any time to shoot lately. I haven't given enough shooting time to definitively compare the 24 Elmar to the 25 Batis conclusively on native camera bodies. On FE bodies though it's no contest when strictly comparing test shots... The 25 Batis performs much much better.

If you care purely about lens sharpness than I'd give the 24 Elmar a very slight edge... maybe. When you compare total IQ then I'd give the Batis the edge but many don't like the Zeiss look so take that into account too. The Batis is a lot more contrasty than the Elmar so if it bothers you on the 24 Elmar then the 21 SEM or 28 Elmarit may be a better UWA lens choice. For me though I dig character and outside the 55FE (which can be a bit sterile at times) all of my FE/A-mount lenses give me that from the 25, 35, 85, or 135.