The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New lens lineup for the A7rII

iiiNelson

There are 20 posts so far and 3 people have mentioned they are not thrilled with the FE 24-70/4. That's almost a trend. Is it just OK, but not great? Are the 16-35/4 and 70-200/4 better or about the same?
When I owned mine it was decent but not worth what they're asking for a new one. IF you can find it in the $6-800range then I say go for it if you need it.

iiiNelson

My lenses are in my signature but in short here they are below. Contemplating adding the A-mount 70-300/4.5-5.6 SSM II and waiting on a ultra wide Batis/Loxia prime or get the 16-35/4.

25 Batis Distagon FE
35 Distagon FE
55 Sonnar FE
85 Batis Sonnar FE
135 Sonnar (A-mount)

Quentin_Bargate

There are 20 posts so far and 3 people have mentioned they are not thrilled with the FE 24-70/4. That's almost a trend. Is it just OK, but not great? Are the 16-35/4 and 70-200/4 better or about the same?
FE 24-70mm F/4 is an OK, but not great, lens. The 16-35mm is better, actually very good, but the Batis 25mm would be the best choice for ultimate quality from the samples I have seen.

My portrait length compromise is the outstanding 90mm Macro G OSS, because it will serve two purposes - as a portait lens, and as a macro / studio lens. Much as I like the look of the Batis 85mm F/1.8, the 90mm Macro not only matches it optically (it might even be better) but it has that dual purpose.

MrTMan

My plan:

18 mm: Touit 12 in APS-C mode
35 mm: 35/1.4 FE and Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8 in APS-C mode when portability is needed
55 mm: 55/1.8 FE
85 mm: Batis 85

I might sell the Touit to help fund a Batis 25 at some point, but before buying the Batis I want to see what other lenses might come out in the coming months.

I know that the 35/2.8 probably makes more sense than the 24/1.8 in APS-C mode, but I love the rendering of the 24/1.8 and I'm not yet ready to part with it.

Zlatko Batistich

I'll have to buy those Batis lenses just because I like the name. If I shorten my last name, I can introduce myself as Mr. Batis. ;)

Last edited:

Thomas Fallon

I was going to hold off on the rII because I saw it as a marginal upgrade. Looks like Quentin is going to cost me about $3k with his images. I won't be leaving my current lineup of lenses. Zeiss 15, 28, 50 macro, 85 and 100 macro in Canon mount. Canon FD 400 2.8. Minolta 50 1.2. Meyer Trioplan 50 and 100. Helios 58 and 85. Pentax 85 soft focus. Sima plastic crap soft focus (nice). I may be forgetting one or two. Those all fit in one Think Tank bag, btw, if you can lift it. Exactly 0 of those lenses auto focus and I am always on a tripod, so many of the rII features do not interest me. Damn that Quentin for those images. Ooops, forgot Canon 17 t/s.

engel001

As nice as the primes look, is there a 24-70 that is worth putting on the A7rII? The Sony (my copy at least) was too soft to resolve "even" the A7II sensor :shocked:. I settled for a Contax 24-85 which is slow, MF, but quite sharp across the frame below 80mm.

But if the Canon glass can AF well, does that make the 24-70/2.8L IS v2 a good candidate? Other favorites?

--Matt
Lensrentals has a brief video with the Canon zoom, looks very good to me. I'll be able to try this tomorrow.

dmward

If the AF performs as anticipated with Canon lenses via either Metabones IV or Fotodiox adapters there are several Canon lens I have been contemplating selling that now may go back into the case.

35L, 24L, 24-105L, 200 F2.8L II, 16-35 F2.8L II, and 300 F4L.

The 24L is hard to justify with the Batis 25. But it will be interesting to see how it works with AF via the adapter.

I anticipate the Batis pair will still be my go to primes. They are the focal lengths I like for primes.

BTW, my copy of the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 does a nice job. I used it the other day to document some paintings and drawings for a conservator and museum. At f8 the images are sharp, distortion free and no vignetting. Its been awhile since I shot much with it but don't recall ever thinking it was letting me down.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I like the FE 24-70 as a casual lens but it's not up to the standards of the FE16-35, and way off the standard of the FE 35 f1.4. (Or the FE 90)

Tellingly, on a recent two-week expedition I passed it up and took the 16-35 (which actually I rarely used), the FE35 f1.4 (which I used constantly), the FE 55 1.8 and the FE 70-200 which I used as much as the 35.

In retrospect, I could have simply taken the 35 and the 70-200 for this particular trip. The 24-70 would not have come with me either way.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Lensrentals has a brief video with the Canon zoom, looks very good to me. I'll be able to try this tomorrow.
Was that the 24-70/2.8? I couldn't tell what they were using, but it did look good.

Well, I'd have to upgrade most (all?) of my Canon glass even if I went with a newer Canon body. The only thing the 10 year old body lacks is usable ISO above 800, but the A7II has definitely spoiled me there.

Interesting weeks ahead!

--Matt

Jim DE

My starter kit will be: the 16-35mm f4, a CG 45mm, and a CG 90mm.

I am hoping the CG28mm might work on this body at least from f5.6 and up.

I will most likely add the 70-200 f4 and the 35mm f1.4 in the future after the sting of this initial outlay dissipates a bit ;)

Quentin_Bargate

I was going to hold off on the rII because I saw it as a marginal upgrade. Looks like Quentin is going to cost me about $3k with his images. I won't be leaving my current lineup of lenses. Zeiss 15, 28, 50 macro, 85 and 100 macro in Canon mount. Canon FD 400 2.8. Minolta 50 1.2. Meyer Trioplan 50 and 100. Helios 58 and 85. Pentax 85 soft focus. Sima plastic crap soft focus (nice). I may be forgetting one or two. Those all fit in one Think Tank bag, btw, if you can lift it. Exactly 0 of those lenses auto focus and I am always on a tripod, so many of the rII features do not interest me. Damn that Quentin for those images. Ooops, forgot Canon 17 t/s.
My lawyers (Bargate Murray) advise me to deny all liability! :grin:

dmward

Love to see if your 200 version II works
Guy,
Just got an email that Adorama is shipping my A7RII today. Should have it in hand Monday afternoon.
Then the fun begins. :)

May be the best approach is to do my testing and add articles to my blog.

Here is LINK to an article about the Metabones IV, Canon 300mm and A7II. I sure hope that all the noise about the A7RII and improved AF is true.

Hausen

Haven't seen my A7rII yet, which is good because I probably need to sell a few things to keep the wife happy. My lens lineup though is rearing to go.

Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 + metabones
Canon 24 TS-E, 45 TS-E and 90 TS-E + Metabones IV
Leica 28, 50 Summicrons (Hoping 28 will improve on new cam)
Might look for a Tele option around 200mm to complete lineup

Jim DE

Preliminary indoor light color wall test has the CG28 looking very good wide open except some light fall off. This I am not sure is just how close those tabs are to that sensor. Kinda looks like it would be very close.