The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII with Canon AF database reference.

rainerv

100-400 is usm version1 is slowly, but exactly, over the whole range ,at all distances, focussing. No pumping, it moves to the focuspoint and stays there.

80-200/4 is usm : very fasta nd accurat.

24-70/4 : same, very good now.

Pradeep

Recently the camera locks up on MF as well. I can get 3-8 exposures before the EVF and LCD go black and the camera will not respond to anything. When I turn it Off a few seconds pass when the last image captured displays on the LCD. This is when the camera is OFF. When is OFF not OFF? Now I am concerned there may be an electronic communication issue that can harm the camera. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, this is happening with my 70-200 f4 IS only. It locks up if I change some settings like from Contrast to Phase detect. Then turning the camera off or on does nothing, the LCD and EVF are black and often the lens motor will keep running. The only way to normalize things it to take the battery out, it instantly resets itself.

kimbrunstudio

Per NoBob's recommendation, I purchased a Fotodiox EF-E adapter. I put the Sigma 50mm ART on my A7rII and took it out for a spin. 48 shots later, no lockups, no AF problems, and now I can really have some fun.
Of course I really need to find something that I want to shoot that is time critical to see if it will lock up. But at the moment, I am impressed with the speed and accuracy of this adapter. Much better combination than the Metabones III with 0.41 firmware even when I wasn't locking up the camera. So I now will leave the Fotodiox attached to the Sigma 50 ART and use the Metabones III with all my Canon glass where it works great!

Thanks NoBob!

DigitalSteve

Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

I sent my Metabones 3 to Hong Kong for update. Prior to updating, the 100mm macro IS would not autofocus. Now it works fine (well as good a it did on my Canon). Fairly quick in good light, still hunts and does not focus in low light. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks, cost about $50 in postage round trip. (Shipped from California on Sept 11, received back on Sept 28.)

Email from Metabones:

"Please send the Speed Booster to us for checking and firmware update, there’s no service charges, you only pay US$25 for the return shipping charges by Fedex.
if accept, please send the parcel to the following address and pay the return shipping charge to our PayPal account:
Our PayPal account: [email protected]
Our shipping address:
Company name: Global Boom International Limited
Attn: Miss Chik
Address:Flat C, 6/F, On Loong Factory Building,
No. 11-13 Luk Hop Street,
San Po Kong, Kowloon,
Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2321 8817
Please inform us the shipping information and the PayPal payment transaction id for reference.

Thanks & regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd
www.metabones.com"

Annna T

Re: Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

I sent my Metabones 3 to Hong Kong for update. Prior to updating, the 100mm macro IS would not autofocus. Now it works fine (well as good a it did on my Canon). Fairly quick in good light, still hunts and does not focus in low light. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks, cost about $50 in postage round trip. (Shipped from California on Sept 11, received back on Sept 28.)

Email from Metabones:

"Please send the Speed Booster to us for checking and firmware update, there’s no service charges, you only pay US$25 for the return shipping charges by Fedex.
if accept, please send the parcel to the following address and pay the return shipping charge to our PayPal account:
Our shipping address:
San Po Kong, Kowloon,
Hong Kong
Please inform us the shipping information and the PayPal payment transaction id for reference.

Thanks & regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd
www.metabones.com"
Very interesting and encouraging. Thanks for sharing your experience. May I ask three questions :

1) I see you have both the A7r and A7r2 : is the A7r still working smoothly after that update ?

2) there was also some flaring problems with version III : did they correct this too (adding black mat paint for instance). Also the opening if I remember correctly was slightly smaller on version III causing some vignetting on TSE lenses. Did they take the baffle away ? Aka : was this only a software update, or also a hardware one ?

3) in future, would you be able to make newer updates by yourself ? Or would you have to send it to Hongkong again ?

TIA for your answer.

kimbrunstudio

Re: Canon 100mm Macro IS version now works on Metabones 3 with Firmware ver 44

Email from Metabones:

Our shipping address:
San Po Kong, Kowloon,
Hong Kong

Thanks & regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd
www.metabones.com"
Wow, that is $90 less than it costs me to ship from Portland, OR. What carrier did you use? I went with the cheapest FedEx offered to ship to Hong Kong $100. Metabones also charged me $35 for return shipping.

As for future updates, the Metabones III can not have firmware updates except at the factory. No USB port.

Andrew2121

Hi i upgraded my metabones IV EF adapter to a new 0.45 firmware and now auto focus on a7rII became very slow
Does somebody have any previous versions? mine was 0.36 and auto-focus was fast. Please help.

alba63

Hello,
I want to buy a 85mm portrait lens for my A7r II, the Batis is a bit expensive (having just bought the camera), and it is only 1,8. I would like to get the Sigma 85mm 1,4 HSM.
Question: Is it likely to work faster (AF) with EF mount via my Metabones IV adapter, or faster with an Sony A mount with LA-EA3 adapter?

I read reports of Brian Smith and Mike Kobal, but did not get a clear idea of how both lenses would behave... I read reports that the 35mm Art lens works very fast, but did not find the same about the 85/1,4, except the fact that it works good, but in microsteps (MikeKobal).

Thanks
Bernie

Annna T

As of November 23th, there is a new version of the Metabones Smartadapter V. IV : version 0.47

There are two benefits :

a) it will be compatible with version 2.0 of the firmware of the A7II
b) AF supported @ F8 with the 1.4x and 2.0x Canon Extender.

More here : Metabones® (windows users)
or here : Metabones® (Mac)

I just updated mine from version 0.45 and it was absolutely flawless and now the focusing is incredibly fast with the 70-200mm F4 L IS USM and 1.4x extender. Wow.. I'm really impressed.
I don't have the 2x extender, so can't report about it.

aCIDfire

Hi, I´d like to ask about Canon 200/2 L how the AF works in AF-S and AF-C with latest Metabones FW. If is it usable for tracking moving kids? I have Nikon version 200/2 but would like to switch to Canon version. Someone wrote here that the lens works pretty well. Brian Smith on his older test wrote that AF-S misfocuses with several adapters incl. Metabones but I think he didn´t test it on A7rII. Thanks.

Rawfa

Tested the Canon Macro Ef 100mm F 2.8 USM in low and moderate light and even though it's slow it eventually hits the focus. I get WAAAY better results with the LAEA4 and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro.

alba63

So here are my findings so far (nothing unheard of :)

1. My latest purchase: Canon 70-200mm F4 IS. Focuses quite fast at all apertures and focal lengths in bright to medium light. When light goes down it will hesitate when getting close to 200mm. Optically the Canon is very good when the focus is nailed.

2. Canon EF100mm F2: So far it never stopped to focus, even in low light, but it can get very slowish at low light. However this is a very very nice lens for portraits, it has a "smooth classic look", the bokeh is very soft and nice. Surprisingly, it renders detail like eye lashes very sharp, even at F2. The A7r II focusses more precisely than my Canon DSRL.

I hope Zeiss or Sony will bring 1-2 more nice portraits lenses. I find the Batis 85 too expensive for what it is... Not very fast, bokeh quite good but now breathtaking, some problems with QC. Having eye focus is nice, but untill something more convincing (for the money) comes, I stay with my Canon.

3. Tamron 28-75mm: Focus same as the 100F2 above: Quite good in good light, goes down in bad light. On the A7rII one has to stop down to F6-7 to get really sharp pictures corner to corner, but then it is really sharp. At 75mm slightly less than at shorter focal lenths, but still good @ 42MP.

Not some magic kind of rendering, obviously, but for a lens that costs less than 200 used (which is like I bought it) it is a good deal. One of these days, I will test maybe a Canon 24-70mm 2,8, but the lack of AF options makes this less attractive. Hopefully Zony will bring soth here as well...

That's it, don't have more lenses than that.

Annna T

So here are my findings so far (nothing unheard of :)

1. My latest purchase: Canon 70-200mm F4 IS. Focuses quite fast at all apertures and focal lengths in bright to medium light. When light goes down it will hesitate when getting close to 200mm. Optically the Canon is very good when the focus is nailed.

2. Canon EF100mm F2: So far it never stopped to focus, even in low light, but it can get very slowish at low light. However this is a very very nice lens for portraits, it has a "smooth classic look", the bokeh is very soft and nice. Surprisingly, it renders detail like eye lashes very sharp, even at F2. The A7r II focusses more precisely than my Canon DSRL.

I hope Zeiss or Sony will bring 1-2 more nice portraits lenses. I find the Batis 85 too expensive for what it is... Not very fast, bokeh quite good but now breathtaking, some problems with QC. Having eye focus is nice, but untill something more convincing (for the money) comes, I stay with my Canon.

3. Tamron 28-75mm: Focus same as the 100F2 above: Quite good in good light, goes down in bad light. On the A7rII one has to stop down to F6-7 to get really sharp pictures corner to corner, but then it is really sharp. At 75mm slightly less than at shorter focal lenths, but still good @ 42MP.

Not some magic kind of rendering, obviously, but for a lens that costs less than 200 used (which is like I bought it) it is a good deal. One of these days, I will test maybe a Canon 24-70mm 2,8, but the lack of AF options makes this less attractive. Hopefully Zony will bring soth here as well...

That's it, don't have more lenses than that.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Which Tamron lens do you have exactly ? I own the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 SP Di in Canon mount and last time I tried, I wasn't able to focus it on the Metabones Smart adapter. May be that I should try again now that I have a Metabones v IV and an A7r2. But when I tried to switch to AF, I got an error telling it was invalid with this lens. Also the lens isn't listed among the compatible lenses by Metabones.

alba63

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Which Tamron lens do you have exactly ? I own the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 SP Di in Canon mount and last time I tried, I wasn't able to focus it on the Metabones Smart adapter. May be that I should try again now that I have a Metabones v IV and an A7r2. But when I tried to switch to AF, I got an error telling it ws not valid with this lens. Also the lens isn't listed among the compatible lenses by Metabones.
Yes, f2,8 SP Di, I think there is only one version. For the price it is very good, it was very sharp, with soft bokeh on my old 5d II, but on the a7rII it comes to it's limits, or already beyond. unfortunately the new 24-70 lenses are all huge and heavy, this 28-75 feels already heavy, but it is only 500g, the newer ones are 800g and bigger, also the newer Tamron 24-70 mm. As you say, the 28-75 is not officially supported by Metabones, but just like the also unsupported 100mm F2 it works ok or even well in good light.

Annna T

Yes, f2,8 SP Di, I think there is only one version. For the price it is very good, it was very sharp, with soft bokeh on my old 5d II, but on the a7rII it comes to it's limits, or already beyond. unfortunately the new 24-70 lenses are all huge and heavy, this 28-75 feels already heavy, but it is only 500g, the newer ones are 800g and bigger, also the newer Tamron 24-70 mm. As you say, the 28-75 is not officially supported by Metabones, but just like the also unsupported 100mm F2 it works ok or even well in good light.
Oh ! Thank you. Good news. I always liked it on my first Canon DSLR (the D60 which was issued in 2002 and featured an APSC sensor). It was tack sharp and extremely light and compact for a fast F2.8 zoom. I used less with the Canon 5D because the 24-105mm could replace two lenses for me (the heavy and cumbersome 16-35mm F2.8 and that Tamron). I agree with everything you say about that Tamron 28-75mm. I was interested when Tamron issued the stabilized 24-70mm, but read that while being bigger and heavier it wasn't as sharp as that first 28-75mm F2.8 : I think it remained a lonely gem. But yes with high resolution that lens is reaching to its limit unless you stop it down.

Can you tell me which AF settings you are using for AF . There are so many possibilities ?