The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII with Leica M lenses

V

Vivek

Leica announced a few new wides, including a new 35mm f/2 ASPH. I am curious if this "new generation" with "improved performance profiles" would work any better on the Sony.
Yes. Also, it would be interesting if the new 28/2 did not result in any mushy corners.

Old film era lenses do not work well even on digital M cameras.

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

Steve a couple of days ago I was walking along our street with my dog on a leash and my A7RII with Batis 85 lens. I was using this lens without the hood (which I never do but so many have security cameras around here I didn't want to look like I had a long lens to spy or something)....Some folks don't trust photographers!! anyway my dog jumped right in front of my legs and I, with camera and lens smashed into the concrete.....hard!! I always will do anything to protect my equipment but this time my Batis slammed down hard on the street and took a lot of the hit. The camera had some damage (no EVF focusing) but surprisingly the Batis seemed to have no damage whatsoever except for a slight dent in the lens front plastic type material.... While I've sent both camera and lens to repair company to be checked and camera repaired I think the lens is fine. I was shocked because it was hit hard. So these Batis lenses may be more well made than they feel. They feel a bit lightweight compared to my M lenses I know. Just an fyi as I was surprised the Batis was not shattered!! eleanor

It's amazing that the Sony AF lenses out perform Leica's best because of digital sensor peculiarities. It's so hard for me to have the confidence in those lightweight plastic feeling AF lenses..... but I guess image quality is all that matters. I'm hoping that Zeiss will continue to make the best solution for the Sony but even the Loxia's have been getting mixed reviews. A big thanks to those of you who keep testing and reporting the results for us all.

Steve

k-hawinkler

Steve a couple of days ago I was walking along our street with my dog on a leash and my A7RII with Batis 85 lens. I was using this lens without the hood (which I never do but so many have security cameras around here I didn't want to look like I had a long lens to spy or something)....Some folks don't trust photographers!! anyway my dog jumped right in front of my legs and I, with camera and lens smashed into the concrete.....hard!! I always will do anything to protect my equipment but this time my Batis slammed down hard on the street and took a lot of the hit. The camera had some damage (no EVF focusing) but surprisingly the Batis seemed to have no damage whatsoever except for a slight dent in the lens front plastic type material.... While I've sent both camera and lens to repair company to be checked and camera repaired I think the lens is fine. I was shocked because it was hit hard. So these Batis lenses may be more well made than they feel. They feel a bit lightweight compared to my M lenses I know. Just an fyi as I was surprised the Batis was not shattered!! eleanor

Hi Eleanor,

I hope you are fine - after the fall.
Cameras and lenses can be replaced or repaired.
But it's good to know that the Batis' plastic holds up so well. :thumbup:

Amin

I currently use three M mount lenses in my A7RII lens lineup, and yes I did cheap out on the adapters:

DSF1627 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

The Voigtlander 15 III is fantastic on the stock A7II and A7RII. It definitely outperforms the Sony 16-35 at 16mm.

The Leica 35/1.4 asph II is very good on the stock A7II and A7RII. I don't have any complaints. It's better on an M but outperforms the Sony 35/1.4 across the frame in terms of sharpness on the Sony bodies.

The Leica 50/1.4 asph suffers a lot on the stock A7RII. I do love this lens and am thinking about doing the Kolari mod. For those who have done the Kolari mod, does it mess up focus accuracy with any of your autofocus lenses?

Annna T

I currently use three M mount lenses in my A7RII lens lineup, and yes I did cheap out on the adapters:

(....)

The Leica 50/1.4 asph suffers a lot on the stock A7RII. I do love this lens and am thinking about doing the Kolari mod. For those who have done the Kolari mod, does it mess up focus accuracy with any of your autofocus lenses?
Look higher in this thread (#74) : Hwinkler and Hiepphotographer have made extensive test of M lenses with and without the Colari modification. If I remember correctly, while the modification clearly improves some M lenses especially the wide ones, at the same time it affects negatively the IQ ofnative lenses. Not sure about focusing speed.

I sold my 50mm F1.4 two months ago; it was really an unexpected bad surprise and a deception that this lens wasn't working well on the A7r / r2.

Slingers

New Leica to Sony "Autofocus" adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3binM22uUpg
I originally posted this in the autofocus with anything thread and Anna suggested I post it here. There is a warning on the supported models at the techartpro site for this adapter in the comments.

Denis
February 9, 2016 at 4:56 pm
What about A7s? It works with A7s?

Admin
February 9, 2016 at 9:20 pm
The adapter is optimized for Sony A7II and Sony A7R II only. It may not work as good with A7S.

Tatsuhiko Ito
February 10, 2016 at 7:13 am
Does that mean the adapter need phase-shift autofocus system?

Admin
February 10, 2016 at 8:41 am
The adapter only works with cameras which open the 3rd party PDAF (i.e. Sony A7ii and Sony A7Rii)

ShooterSteve

Elenor, glad you're ok. I'm sure the Zeiss lenses are built well even though they may feel light to the touch. Hope your camera and glass are recovered and performing again!

DSF1627 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

The Voigtlander 15 III is fantastic on the stock A7II and A7RII. It definitely outperforms the Sony 16-35 at 16mm.

The Leica 35/1.4 asph II is very good on the stock A7II and A7RII. I don't have any complaints. It's better on an M but outperforms the Sony 35/1.4 across the frame in terms of sharpness on the Sony bodies.

I used a Contax N 85 on a modded A7RII for a period of time and the focus is still fast and accurate. I don't have any native lens to test myself so can't really say. However, they do move the sensor to maintain the focus point after the mod so I don't see how it would interfere with the AF at all.

neko

Hi everybody,

I´m new to the forum. So far I have been visiting this site sometimes and have found interesting information. I happen to own the Leica 50 APO. Very happy with this lens mounted on my beloved Leica MM.
My next project involves color files, so thinking about getting a second body for this purpose. I wonder how is the performance of the 50 APO mounted on the A7RII for close-up photography, let´s say 0,7-2m distance to the subject, compare with the native 55 FE.
I have read the test member k-Hawinker has made with the 50 APO mounted in a stock and Kolari versions of A7RII. He states that the lens is best at 5.6-11 aperture. This is good because I intend to shoot with small apertures to gain DOF. My question is how would be the performance of the 50 APO at this apertures ( 5.6-11) compare with, let´s say the 55FE at the same apertures for close-up shooting.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mark Muse

Does anyone have experience with the Zeiss ZM 2,8/28 on the A7r2?

I rented a ZM 2,8/25. While sharp enough to hurt you in the center, there was considerable light and sharpness falloff in the outer 1/8th of the frame. Not smearing, so maybe the prime culprit was field curvature.

DanielDuarte

If this works as advertised ... Genius!

Want One NOW! It'll especially be great for 75mm to 135mm M lenses which are harder to manually focus on a Sony A.
Imagine ... AF M lenses with IBIS ... :thumbs:

Wonder why Leica didn't come up with something like this?

- Marc
waiting for someone to come back with some real world thoughts... I have the 35 summicron *latest version* and I've missed a fare share of focus but the a7rII is new to me. Its going to take me some time.

dchew

I posted this in the Leica forum but probably more relevant here:

I just traded in my 28 Emarit for the new version, hoping it would work good enough with the a7rII. After a first test I am satisfied. Still smears at 2.8 and a bit at f/4, but f/5.6 is very usable and it is completely gone by f/8. That fits my landscape use just fine since I rarely need sharp corners wide open. So now I have two systems with one set of lenses (monochrom/a7rII).

Dave

fotografz

So, is anyone else using the Techart AF M Adapter?

Got one recently and I've done a few no-brainer "tourist test" days with it on a Sony A7R-II using a M21/1.4 ASPH, M35/1.4 ASPH (pre FLE version), and a M75/2 AA.

So far I'm impressed.

Very interested in other people's experiences ... good or bad. Specifics would be helpful. Pics would be a bonus.