The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Possible issues using EVF for manual focus on A7r ll ?

jpaulmoore

I read on the Digital Lloyd blog that a user of the A7r ll reports that using the EVF for manual focus on the A7r ll is vastly inferior to the original A7r. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is an issue. This is a huge concern as I have the A7r ll on order. This would be a deal killer for me.
Regards,
J. Paul

jamato8

vastly inferior ? no way !
I read that there are two settings and that it is possible that some reports are from people not realizing this and they have been using the lower quality one for the view finder. A person that has used the A7RII and set it to the high quality view, said it works great.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That's what it is starting to sound like and my bet the default is the lower setting and people are not setting up there cameras prior to using.

jpaulmoore

Hello all, I am hoping your are right. The person went on to say that they had tried different settings, but I am not quite clear what they are and what the person tried. It very well could be user error. If anyone hears or has any other information or experience with this first hand please let me (and others) know.
Thanks,
J. Paul

Knorp

I read that there are two settings and that it is possible that some reports are from people not realizing this and they have been using the lower quality one for the view finder. A person that has used the A7RII and set it to the high quality view, said it works great.
I even doubt the low quality view as vastly inferior.

Hello all, I am hoping your are right. The person went on to say that they had tried different settings, but I am not quite clear what they are and what the person tried. It very well could be user error. If anyone hears or has any other information or experience with this first hand please let me (and others) know.
Thanks,
J. Paul
I guess no one reads the manual nowadays :D. Personally, I didn't know that there is a setting for high and low quality for the EVF. There is no such thing on my A7s.

hcubell

That's what it is starting to sound like and my bet the default is the lower setting and people are not setting up there cameras prior to using.
Guy, if you go to Menu/"Setup" group of settings/Tab 2, there is a setting called "Display Quality." The default for the A7RII is "Standard", but you can set it to "High." This does impact the Live View for manual focusing. Interestingly, the A7R used "high" as the default, and the A7 used "Standard." Sony advises that the "High" setting can affect battery life and autofocus performance.

Guy Mancuso

Im not seeing any issue whatsoever. Going from the 35 1.4 Zeiss /Sony to the CV 15 which maybe the hardest lens to focus manually since it has such large DOF. At 5x it looks very good and at 12.5 it looks very good. And yes the default is set to standard so make that change to high quality in the last top tab on your right than tab 2 than display quality. Im going to run outside and see if its the same in low light

Im not seeing any issue whatsoever. Going from the 35 1.4 Zeiss /Sony to the CV 15 which maybe the hardest lens to focus manually since it has such large DOF. At 5x it looks very good and at 12.5 it looks very good. And yes the default is set to standard so make that change to high quality in the last top tab on your right than tab 2 than display quality. Im going to run outside and see if its the same in low light
Guy, is there a huge difference between standard vs. high quality at 5x mag.?

Guy Mancuso

Not really I see a little jump in quality on the high mode. I would certainly put it into high mode though

You know folks as hard as the VC 15mm is to focus anyway even outside at 300 yards I'm nailing the house behind me at 12.5 and even 5x is not bad. Now I am slightly underexposing on the 15 but thats a little normal anyway.

Now someone picking this up for the first time with a extreme wide than sure its a little tough compared to like the 35mm 1.4. There slower lensers and far more DOF.

In all honesty its a non issue but I will keep my eye on things

Pradeep

Guy, this is great news. And thanks for the immediate feedback. Waiting to hear more. Don't know when mine is arriving, soon hopefully.

Guy Mancuso

What's the difference between the two modes?
It may have to do with refresh rate is what I am thinking. The difference is pretty minor but we need to look at that some more. I just finished setting up the camera and there are some new things like release priority. Need to look into that one for sure

Guy Mancuso

If I maybe so bold to say this . I waited over a year for a body like this that operational was far better than the A7r than the A7II came along with a lot of good things well this one maybe just the freaking ticket we have been waiting for. So going forward its big positive for new owners and of course we will tear it apart and figure out some of those pesky little workarounds. But so far big thumbs up for Sony

Guy Mancuso

Okay the standard setting I see things as pretty sharp but far more detail in the high setting. Mount camera on tripod and get a good focus on something than toggle the settings and you will see high just has more detail in the image. So if your set to standard focusing would be harder to do.

dandrewk

On my A7ii the difference between high and standard is the noise. I see lots more noise bouncing around in standard mode which disappears in high mode.