The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII + Cambo Actus

zachary_goulko

Go for Rodenstock WA 40mm, still have about 2~3mm space between the front and rear standard, however, you can't do left side shift as the handle will hit the front standard...
Would you mind posting a picture of the Rodenstock 40mm and Actus at infinity? I'm interested in getting this lens but would love to see where it hits the handle and how much shift you can get.

vjbelle

Go for Rodenstock WA 40mm, still have about 2~3mm space between the front and rear standard, however, you can't do left side shift as the handle will hit the front standard...
I hadn't thought about this issue but the Sony handle shouldn't be an issue in Portrait position. So I could still get lateral shifting to my hearts content - only limited by the image circle and/or how far the lens extends out the back of the standard. I would really only use the camera in Portrait position anyway.... just makes more sense to me as many times I only do single row pano's.

Victor

markymarkrb

Have you tried this with the HR 40mm and what were the results/size of the image you were able to capture? I am interested in your findings.

scho

Have you tried this with the HR 40mm and what were the results/size of the image you were able to capture? I am interested in your findings.
I don't have the 40 HR and I'm perfectly happy with the SK 47 and Rodenstock 55 for stitching landscapes. I have the 45 Grandagon also but performance is poor compared to the 47 and 55 and it also requires the WA bellows and rear standard to get inf focus. If you don't need tilt or shift then perhaps the wider lenses would be nice for one shot landscapes, but then you really don't need an Actus either - just shoot directly with any of the native wide angle lenses available.

Steve Hendrix

Sorry, late to reading this good thread. Some things to point out:

The amount of shift with the 47 Digitar for example, is not necessarily impacted by the Actus. The rear element intrudes into the Actus mount for the Sony, but it is prudent to re-focus when shifting anyway on a wide lens with significant curvature. So you would back out, shift, and re-focus. The additional depth of the Sony camera mount is necessary to provide the excellent seamless rotation lever to operate so smoothly and to maintain registration. Also the Sony grip does not impact the Actus standard, since when shifted, the Sony camera and standard move as one. I have not used the 40mm HR with the Sony, but I would expect the shift potential to be similar to the Schneider 43, perhaps a bit more.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

torger

From a sensor technology standpoint I'm very interested how well the A7r-II handles the tech wides, as I expect similar technology to appear in future digital backs.

In theory BSI which move photo diodes closer to the surface should provide the sensor with much better angular response, and thus lower issues with crosstalk and color cast.

I've heard indications that the A7r-II doesn't provide much improvement, if any, over the old one, but I don't really know if that's a mechanical issue (body gets in the way) or if it's a color cast issue.

Anyone who knows if the BSI technology in the A7r-II provides an improvement in tech wide compatibility or not compared to the A7r?

Jakub Certowicz

Hi,

Firstly sorry for my poor English language. Over the last few years I was using ALPA MAX with custom adapters for Sony NEX-7 and lenses for nikon (14-24, 60) and Mamiya. I decided to switch to full frame and a camera that allows me to use LF lenses. A few months ago I bought Sony A7R2 (A7RII) and Cambo Actus. At the beginning I was using it with my Nikkor lenses and Pentax645 35mm. Yesterday I decided to order non-rotating back Actus (ACB-310) and Roddie 40HR and 32HR for tests. It happens out just before ordering that I can`t use non-rotating back with new Sony A7 mk2 (nor A7RII, A7II, A7SII) because of the bigger camera body grip. They didn`t give any further information. I`m curious if this is a problem with cambo adapter itself or they just warn me about the problem with shifting left with very short LF lenses and potential crashing with camera body grip. Anyone knows? Scho, can You tell me how far You can go with 47XL shifting left. SK has a smaller rear diameter, but it is still big and comparable with Rodenstock 40HR. Now I`m thinking about switching to Arca Universalis but maybe this doesn`t solve the problem.

scho

Hi,

Firstly sorry for my poor English language. Over the last few years I was using ALPA MAX with custom adapters for Sony NEX-7 and lenses for nikon (14-24, 60) and Mamiya. I decided to switch to full frame and a camera that allows me to use LF lenses. A few months ago I bought Sony A7R2 (A7RII) and Cambo Actus. At the beginning I was using it with my Nikkor lenses and Pentax645 35mm. Yesterday I decided to order non-rotating back Actus (ACB-310) and Roddie 40HR and 32HR for tests. It happens out just before ordering that I can`t use non-rotating back with new Sony A7 mk2 (nor A7RII, A7II, A7SII) because of the bigger camera body grip. They didn`t give any further information. I`m curious if this is a problem with cambo adapter itself or they just warn me about the problem with shifting left with very short LF lenses and potential crashing with camera body grip. Anyone knows? Scho, can You tell me how far You can go with 47XL shifting left. SK has a smaller rear diameter, but it is still big and comparable with Rodenstock 40HR. Now I`m thinking about switching to Arca Universalis but maybe this doesn`t solve the problem.
Hi Jakub,

I no longer have the A7RII and only use the A7R-FS and grip is smaller with no problems. I also do not use the fixed rear standard (not necessary with the 47XL). You probably should contact Steve Hendrix for info on use of the 40 and 32 on the Actus. I had no problems shifting left with the 47XL when I was using the A7RII, but I don't recall exactly how much shift was possible.

etrigan63

Scho,
is there room for the battery grip? I am looking at getting the Actus for product/real estate work and was wondering if I would have to remove the battery grip from my A7 II.

Also, if you are using the bellows to focus, what do you set the lens to? I am getting a mamiya rz 140mm macro lens to use with an actus on my A7 II and was wondering how I set up the lens.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
IIRC the A7R II / A7II with grip wont fit. My Actus & A7RII were stolen a month or so ago so I can't double check and I'm working from memory (and senility!) but I do know that I had to mount the A7RII without the grip to have it fit. I normally use the A7RII with a grip so removing it was a deliberate action that I wouldn't otherwise do.

scho

Scho,
is there room for the battery grip? I am looking at getting the Actus for product/real estate work and was wondering if I would have to remove the battery grip from my A7 II.

Also, if you are using the bellows to focus, what do you set the lens to? I am getting a mamiya rz 140mm macro lens to use with an actus on my A7 II and was wondering how I set up the lens.
Hi Carlos,

I never used a battery grip so can't comment, but Graham has answered that question. If you are shooting macros at close distance then you might have to set the lens distance accordingly, but otherwise I don't think it matters what lens setting you use when using the bellows to focus.

etrigan63

Graham,
I am saddened to hear that you gear got stolen. Hopefully it will be recovered.

Graham and Scho,
I kind of suspected that the battery grip would have to be removed. Thanks for confirming this. I was looking to get an Actus Mini for product work, but it also gives me the flexibility to do architecture as well. I just picked up an RZ 140mm Macro lens from the 'bay for about $1/mm and was planning on using it with the Actus and my A7 II. I will likely rent from CI at first until a few more gigs come in.

NoBob

Now Cambo has released the Canon bayonet apadter for the Actus, can the 17mm shift lens be used on the Actus and a7rii?

Thanks.

Annna T

Probably, but it sounds redundant. The Actus provides tilts, swings and shifts.
From what i understand, not entirely redundant : the TSE lenses will only provide movements of the lens (aka front standard), but the Actus would offer much more liberty in movements, in particular movements of the rear standard (camera). So one could combine left and right shift with rise and fall.
Not sure whether that would offer as much freedom as a true view camera like an Arcaswiss, however.

etrigan63

From what i understand, not entirely redundant : the TSE lenses will only provide movements of the lens (aka front standard), but the Actus would offer much more liberty in movements, in particular movements of the rear standard (camera). So one could combine left and right shift with rise and fall.
Not sure whether that would offer as much freedom as a true view camera like an Arcaswiss, however.
The front plate of the Actus provides tilt/swing. The rear plate provides up/down/left/right shifts.

And stitching with the 17mm would be easier.
It is my understanding that moving the camera in the image circle is preferable to shifting the image circle around the camera. The Actus is micrometered like the TSE lens. Applying movements at both ends sounds like a recipe for failure.

gazwas

It is my understanding that moving the camera in the image circle is preferable to shifting the image circle around the camera. The Actus is micrometered like the TSE lens. Applying movements at both ends sounds like a recipe for failure.
Thats how all large format function so hardly a recipe for failure considering the period of time these cameras have been used by photographers without incident.

Using the 17TSE and 24TSE on the Actus would sure alleviate having to use annoying diagonal movements and the older 45mmTSE and (excellent) 90mmTSE would then have movements on multiple planes unlike how they currently work. Locking all the movements on the TSE lenses and there should never be cause for worry.

Annna T

Thats how all large format function so hardly a recipe for failure considering the period of time these cameras have been used by photographers without incident.

Using the 17TSE and 24TSE on the Actus would sure alleviate having to use annoying diagonal movements and the older 45mmTSE and (excellent) 90mmTSE would then have movements on multiple planes unlike how they currently work. Locking all the movements on the TSE lenses and there should never be cause for worry.
Another benefit comes from the larger image circle of the TSE lenses. Even if you are only moving the body, you benefit from their larger coverage : they are smaller than the medium or large format lenses, don't have the same rear protruding elements that could limit movements or prevent infinity focus with the 35mm format and they are the only ones offering wide angle focal lengths. I must say that i'm tempted by one of these solution (HCAM, Actus, or the Arca universalis).