The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Here we go again...

jonoslack

Slinger I think I noticed it first with the introduction of the a33 slt technology. Seems anything designed outside the status quo like slt's, mirrorless, ff mirrorless, newer sensor technologies, etc... Bring out the haters and the hate spreaders.
Everything brings out the haters and hate spreaders - they're just obvious with the camera of your personal choice (you don't notice the Canon haters if you have a Sony - and vice versa). . . . . and the better the camera the bigger the hate. The downside of the internet I guess - the good side is that things that are GENUINELY wrong are discovered pretty quickly these days (like the IR sensitivity on the M8 . . and lots of other things)! Seems like there isn't really a genuine problem with the A7rii.

Jim DE

Could be very true Jono.... I never go on other manufacturer forums so what goes on there is oblivious to me.... they may have just as big or bigger problems on those forums. I own a Sigma DP2M but besides that it has been all Minolta/Sony hardware since the Minolta A1... I have had no need to visit any other manufacturers forum. Maybe if I had I might feel different about things Sony gear doesn't have that the others do like lossless compression RAW's for example. It is a no big deal issue to me actually... yeah if it is better and makes my images IQ look better I will love having it but I really like what I have now too and think the artifact BS is just a witch hunt item only visible it one takes the shadows 5 stops over.... I don't shoot that way.. EVER!!!!

I hate to say this but at our photo society and at other photographic gatherings there is a mentality with some in one in particular manufacturer camp that just rubs me raw. They have a superiority complex that is fragile at best and actually makes me want to puke. These are the guys who held on to film till their company near went under and those that stated for years no one need more than 12mp till they got 36mp then they raised the high MP banner and did the Lord of the Flies dance under it ever since. Another reason I don't visit other manufacturers sites.....

Jim DE

:loco: I just read a post on another site from a guy worried about getting a a7rII because he does star trail photography stacking 40+ timed exposures to create them and was worried about the hot pixel issue. Ok I can appreciate someone liking to do that sort of photography but why would anyone want a high resolution high pixel count camera when their images are essentially digitally stacked computer generated images of 3 plus hours worth of exposures? I just don't get it...... Imagine 42mp x 40 plus images to create a single std 300 dpi image

I would say a a7rII may not be his best tool for this...... :banghead:

Jim DE

Vivek, I am not perturbed at all and appreciate any and all art forms but to me using a high resolution high pixel count camera to create a single image out of 40+ stacked images is like using a .905 caliber rifle to shoot a housefly.

Stacking 40+ images is basically a computer generated image imo and not a photograph and surely doesn't require 1680mp to create it to print at 300dpi

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Everything brings out the haters and hate spreaders - they're just obvious with the camera of your personal choice (you don't notice the Canon haters if you have a Sony - and vice versa). . . . . and the better the camera the bigger the hate. The downside of the internet I guess - the good side is that things that are GENUINELY wrong are discovered pretty quickly these days (like the IR sensitivity on the M8 . . and lots of other things)! Seems like there isn't really a genuine problem with the A7rii.
The real hate debates, like those between Canon and Nikon users in the "old" days, seem to have become much rarer these days. The Sony criticism seems to be more about annoyance and disappointment. Annoyance because many claim that the Sony A7 series represents disruptive technology, which it clearly doesn't, and disappointment because many of those who had hoped for a smaller, lighter camera that would satisfy their particular needs didn't find it to be that camera.

The points of criticism, like battery size, lens selection and ergonomics, are valid enough. Some can live with those factors, others cannot. What does puzzle me though, is that while battery life, lens selection and ergonomics were hotly debated factors and important subjects of discussion for most camera reviewers just a few years ago, they are now dismissed as unimportant by many users. Maybe needs have changed or many converts simply didn't have those needs, but for some, like me, they make most discussions around the A7RII rather uninteresting, since the camera doesn't satisfy my needs anyway.

V

Vivek

Jorgen, Your second paragraph basically reiterates that it (Sony A7 series) IS disruptive technology.

Jim DE

Jorgen, I am not sure if your 3 points relate to the first A7 bodies or if you are referring to the current II's. But if it is from the first series 2 out of three of your points have been addressed and changed. Only the battery size is the same which to me is a non-issue esp being as I run a grip but even if I didn't I would just run 16g cards and change card and battery at the same time. 350 shots is a bunch of shots imo.

I never owned the previous a7 bodies but the first thing I liked about the a7rII and a vertical grip was its feel and layout of controls. But I am coming from a99's and a77's with vertical grips. Lens selection? Well yes in E mount over 200mm is lacking I'll give you that but in every other mount with adapters the sky is the limit with MF or even some with AF from other brands. Does it do BIF with a 600mm as well as my a77II? Nope! But I did not expect it to but my a77II can't do things my a7rII can either.

What I notice is those migrating from other brands are setting unrealistic expectations without actual Sony specs to support their expectation then when they get a a7 series camera are annoyed that it does not meet the unrealistic expectations they fabricated in their minds before buying. For example your three issues.... They should of known these going in and they should be expected, not flamed over as it was a given going in. Like my earlier red car/ white car example. If one know's something before one buy's and elect's to buy anyway complaining about it later just looks foolish. Like I wanted a red car but bought a white one because they had no red cars the a month later I want to complain it's white..really???

spence

Here's the thing, Jim. Sony supplies the sensor that Nikon uses to amazing effect in the D810.

Why should the A7RII files be inferior, in any respect, to those produced by the Nikon D810? It's Sony's sensor! The files should be better! But they aren't, and no one says they are. Why?

I appreciate all the cool stuff the A7RII adds, but why do we have to accept a backwards step in image quality? It could be otherwise! But we battle people like you, constantly, who make excuses for Sony's lack of concern with THE IMAGE ITSELF. Which, at the end of the day, matters as much or more than anything.

Looking forward to you eventually posting a picture of your 'Sony' tattoo--full sleeve, neck, or something smaller?

spence

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well looking at today's shoot . I just busted 2 myths that don't look to be a issue at all. 12 bit versus 14 bit and steady shot ON/OFF on a tripod. Silent shutter goes into 12 bits but I am seeing nothing in the raws between 12 bit and 14bit( silent shutter on and off). ISO 6400 is just flat out amazing even at default. The difference between having IBIS on or OFF on a Tripod also has no effect. Going to take some time to get through all of this but I nailed everything really well today. Batis 25 and 85 are just flat out kick *** in corners and centrally they are amazing even wide open. Corners 2.8 the magic starts. The 35mm 1.4 pretty much the same but F2 it starts to get really going centrally and nailing it in the corners at F4, yes ladies and gentleman this is a twofer lens one for look stop it down and its a screaming landscape lens. Ill get this all up in a few days. With all the crap trust me you all bought well. ROTFLMAO

VC 15mm is just a flat out sweetheart. I gave all my glass a workout

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, Your second paragraph basically reiterates that it (Sony A7 series) IS disruptive technology.
Disruptive technology is a technology that helps create a new market and value network, and eventually disrupts an existing market and value network.

- Most of the technology used in the A7 series have been known and used for several years, also in DSLR cameras. Take IBIS. Olympus, Pentax and Minolta all used it in their DSLR cameras. In spite of this, Minolta packed up and sold out, Olympus stopped making DSLR cameras and Pentax is still a very minor player. Canon and Nikon do not offer IBIS, but are still the dominant players in the DSLR market as well as in the general pro camera market.

- Real disruptive technology, like digital photography, turned the camera market upside down in less than ten years after it was available to the general public and sent some of the most prominent suppliers of photographic equipment off the cliff.

- While the change to digital photography introduced massive advantages, from an economical, practical and quality aspect, the A7 really only introduces smaller size, somewhat lower weight and the ability to shoot video while looking through the viewfinder. But there are also distinct disadvantages, like shorter battery life (inherent) and strange ergonomics or limited lens selection.

- The only really new aspects of mirrorless cameras is that one can change lenses on a camera with an electronic viewfinder and again: the size. Still, an A7R II is larger and heavier than a 40 years old OM-1 (and the battery life of the OM-1, I counted in years, not in frames :D ). Cameras with electronic viewfinders have been available more or less since the birth of digital cameras, and some of them were very advanced, although equipped with much smaller sensor than the A7 offers.

- Neither the A7 nor any other mirrorless cameras offer any quality or economic advantages for shooting stills compared to DSLR cameras, except maybe the cost of a slightly larger camera bag for the latter. For those shooting with long telephoto lenses, the 2-300g difference in body weight is easily outweighed by the superior grip and general ergonomics of a DSLR. The exception to this is represented by cameras like the E-M1 and the GH4, particularly the latter, which offers great ergonomics, small but long telephoto lenses due to the smaller sensor and a reasonable battery life, but then the sensor is smaller, which introduces other disadvantages like lower pixel count and less than ideal high ISO performance.

There is no ideal do-it-all camera, and there never was. It's all a question of priorities.

And criticism doesn't equal hate :lecture:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I am not sure if your 3 points relate to the first A7 bodies or if you are referring to the current II's. But if it is from the first series 2 out of three of your points have been addressed and changed. Only the battery size is the same which to me is a non-issue esp being as I run a grip but even if I didn't I would just run 16g cards and change card and battery at the same time. 350 shots is a bunch of shots imo.

I never owned the previous a7 bodies but the first thing I liked about the a7rII and a vertical grip was its feel and layout of controls. But I am coming from a99's and a77's with vertical grips. Lens selection? Well yes in E mount over 200mm is lacking I'll give you that but in every other mount with adapters the sky is the limit with MF or even some with AF from other brands. Does it do BIF with a 600mm as well as my a77II? Nope! But I did not expect it to but my a77II can't do things my a7rII can either.

What I notice is those migrating from other brands are setting unrealistic expectations without actual Sony specs to support their expectation then when they get a a7 series camera are annoyed that it does not meet the unrealistic expectations they fabricated in their minds before buying. For example your three issues.... They should of known these going in and they should be expected, not flamed over as it was a given going in. Like my earlier red car/ white car example. If one know's something before one buy's and elect's to buy anyway complaining about it later just looks foolish. Like I wanted a red car but bought a white one because they had no red cars the a month later I want to complain it's white..really???
People do expect too much, and with Sony's marketing of the A7 series, that is not surprising.

MikalWGrass

Jim DE, you shoot sports or is the new camera an all around camera for you? Thanks for answering.

Jim DE

Jim DE, you shoot sports or is the new camera an all around camera for you? Thanks for answering.
I buy and use cameras like golf clubs. I buy for their strengths and use them that way and use other bodies for their strengths and don't use them for their weaknesses. My job is product photography which I use a body which works best for studio work. The a7rIi was bought as a upgrade to my nex 7 system as a hike in scenic camera for gallery prints and pleasure. I also own a a77, a77II, a99, nex 5, nex7, a DP2m, a Hassie stellar, a a33, and even pull out the old Minolta7d at times and nearly 40 A and E mount lenses as well as some legacy glass. These are my current digital tools each one has strengths and weaknesses and are used for their strengths. I don't do sports but do do BIF for pleasure and the a77II gets the call for those. I have not owned only one camera body since the early 60's.

Spence my only ink is a Tarpon, fly, and fly rod because tarpon on a fly own's my soul... No Sony tatoo's but I do have SPS card if that makes a difference to you.

Jim DE

People do expect too much, and with Sony's marketing of the A7 series, that is not surprising.
I must not get out much because I don't think I have ever seen a TV ad or magazine ad for Sony cameras other than that of the body release highlights. You could be right and they may somewhere blow smoke up everyone's arses that I have not been exposed to but I sure haven't seen it. What I see is mass hysteria on some forums that hype up the realities to a level they no longer are even close to the realities of the advertised specs. Then when these frenzied buyers find out what they read on forums are not what the product is then comes the disappointment. I don't see that as a Sony cause issue but a hysterical unrealistic expectation not fulfilled.

I guess I still look at this stuff from a manufacturing management viewpoint. Maybe we just see and define things differently than those not from this environment. I look at specs and design intent and if a product meets these then it is good. If it doesn't it is bad. I have yet to see a issue that does not meet or exceed specs and design intent. What I see is issues outside a normal usage criterial or a should of or could of list of items for a wish list. Has anyone found one item defined or advertised by Sony about this product that it is unable to do? I haven't so I got what I knew I was going to get going in. Is it the do all end all to all photography? Nope but they never said it was going to be either. No camera is..

MikalWGrass

I buy and use cameras like golf clubs. I buy for their strengths and use them that way and use other bodies for their strengths and don't use them for their weaknesses. My job is product photography which I use a body which works best for studio work. The a7rIi was bought as a upgrade to my nex 7 system as a hike in scenic camera for gallery prints and pleasure. I also own a a77, a77II, a99, nex 5, nex7, a DP2m, a Hassie stellar, a a33, and even pull out the old Minolta7d at times and nearly 40 A and E mount lenses as well as some legacy glass. These are my current digital tools each one has strengths and weaknesses and are used for their strengths. I don't do sports but do do BIF for pleasure and the a77II gets the call for those. I have not owned only one camera body since the early 60's.

Spence my only ink is a Tarpon, fly, and fly rod because tarpon on a fly own's my soul... No Sony tatoo's but I do have SPS card if that makes a difference to you.
Thank you. My a900 is getting long in the tooth, and pretty much all I shoot is sports, though I want to branch out a bit. I have an M6 and a few lenses to mount on it, but it is pretty useless for sports such as water polo and swimming. I used it for more than 10 years on a long term documentary project that I was working on. I may have to buy something else if I branch out, but not until the shekels come in, if you know what I mean.

Thank you again for your answer.

Jim DE

Thank you. My a900 is getting long in the tooth, and pretty much all I shoot is sports, though I want to branch out a bit. I have an M6 and a few lenses to mount on it, but it is pretty useless for sports such as water polo and swimming. I used it for more than 10 years on a long term documentary project that I was working on. I may have to buy something else if I branch out, but not until the shekels come in, if you know what I mean.

Thank you again for your answer.
A900 was and is a excellent camera. With zeiss glass it will still stand toe to toe with the best out there in many cases.