The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Here we go again...

PeterA

Well looking at today's shoot . I just busted 2 myths that don't look to be a issue at all. 12 bit versus 14 bit and steady shot ON/OFF on a tripod. Silent shutter goes into 12 bits but I am seeing nothing in the raws between 12 bit and 14bit( silent shutter on and off). ISO 6400 is just flat out amazing even at default. The difference between having IBIS on or OFF on a Tripod also has no effect. Going to take some time to get through all of this but I nailed everything really well today. Batis 25 and 85 are just flat out kick *** in corners and centrally they are amazing even wide open. Corners 2.8 the magic starts. The 35mm 1.4 pretty much the same but F2 it starts to get really going centrally and nailing it in the corners at F4, yes ladies and gentleman this is a twofer lens one for look stop it down and its a screaming landscape lens. Ill get this all up in a few days. With all the crap trust me you all bought well. ROTFLMAO

VC 15mm is just a flat out sweetheart. I gave all my glass a workout
Well Guy - I am looking forward to your shots @ 4K Aussie + 2K for a Cambo mini tech set up + 4K for 3-4 E lenses it is still less than an M240-P body from Leica -:) There is no doubting that the Sony is a very real value proposition for people who may have tired of MFD sized stuff to lug around all the time and get 40 megapixels worth of resolution. For a Nikon owner there is no great incentive to change - especially if they are shooting teles- same for Canon owners...my only issue is the current lack of a great range of E glass which stops me from selling out of other DSLR cam bodies - but the 40 megapixel - Cambo combo is a sweet sweet alternative to some of the really large heavy tech gear I have to muscle around...the fact that I can mount and use the sweet spot of a bunch of MF glass I own as well as a bunch of copal shuttered lenses is a very very attractive proposition.

Sony is delivering a kick up many camera manufacturers bums- doesn't matter what people say - the r11 represents a real break through value proposition for a lot of people - even my Leica dealer wishes he had a Sony dealership license as well.

V

Vivek

What is disruptive about it ?
The Nikon D70 was disruptive. They sold > 1 million cameras (though with a defect called BGLOD). The A7 cams have made a big dent on many cams/brands.

As you say, your own Leica dealer is left lamenting.

jlm

Workshop Member
the only disadvantage i see to using the Cambo with the AR is the bulk of the body and grip plus the recessed sensor will prevent wide angles from being fitted. However, use an adapter and the Canon TS lenses! 17 and 24mm are excellent.

MikalWGrass

A900 was and is a excellent camera. With zeiss glass it will still stand toe to toe with the best out there in many cases.
JimDE - I agree, and that is why I don't want to get rid of it. I run the main body from the extra grip because the circuitry in the main body pretty much crashed about 18 months ago. I have never had an issue with the DR (whatever that is), or the color out of the box. However, as my kids get bigger and stronger, they swim and play water polo harder and more furiously, and my daughter runs faster and jumps higher when doing her gymnastics. I have never been the most skilled photographer but I find it very tiring to have to worry about the reliability of the camera, and to have to use every ounce of my brain capacity to figure out how to get quickly moving shots that otherwise would be a piece of cake for another camera. I have the ZA 135/1.8 and the Sony 70-200/2.8G and use those as my main lenses for sports. If it wasn't for those lenses I would have junked the camera a long time ago.

I would be interested in the newer Sony line but I just don't think they are up to par for fast moving action that cannot be tracked (like auto racing) yet.

PeterA

The Nikon D70 was disruptive. They sold > 1 million cameras (though with a defect called BGLOD). The A7 cams have made a big dent on many cams/brands.

My Leica dealer is selling as much gear as Leica can ship ....but a lot of gear heads like to muck around with the latest gadget that comes out - why not - it is harmless fun :D

- - - Updated - - -

the only disadvantage i see to using the Cambo with the AR is the bulk of the body and grip plus the recessed sensor will prevent wide angles from being fitted. However, use an adapter and the Canon TS lenses! 17 and 24mm are excellent.
Excellent point.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

The D70, and the Canon 300D, were disruptive not so much because of their impressive sales figures, but because they made their film based predecessor irrelevant overnight thanks to the digital technology. This is is actually an interesting lesson. The only major positive difference between the D70 and the F/N80 was the digital sensor. The viewfinder was much worse, battery life shorter and image quality not really superior to film.

The different A7 models on the other hand, although an interesting, but not unexpected, development in their own way, didn't really do anything but gather a string of known digital technologies in a body that is much smaller than the competition. While that has made them very popular among many photographers, they are far too late to the market to create the stir that the first digital models did. There are simply too many well functioning alternatives available.

If the A7 had been launched before 2005, which from a technological point of view would have been possible, I'm quite sure that most exchangeable lens cameras would have been mirrorless today. Now, it will take much longer time.

V

Vivek

My Leica dealer is selling as much gear as Leica can ship ....but a lot of gear heads like to muck around with the latest gadget that comes out - why not - it is harmless fun :D

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent point.
Those are my people. :) Leica nuts or ex leoca nuts.