The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII High ISO casual test

k-hawinkler

Many thanks Guy.
I developed your ISO 20,000 file in C1 with default settings.
Then used Define 2 in Nik and Auto Contrast in CS6.
IQ looks better than useable to me.
Thanks again.

Ran through Topaz Detail (enhanced micro-contrast) first and then Topaz Denoise (medium NR). Even at 100%, ISO 20k is very usable for even sharpening. I ran Denoise 1st then sharpening but didn't like the result. Top - no PP, bottom - Topaz

Attachments

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would love to get just really clean 6400. To me it looks like a 2 stop or so improvement over the A7r which I stopped at 1250 for my shooting. Even 3200 would make my day. Reason being I could now use a F4 lens in those lower light situations. Try the 4000 and 8000 and see how clean they are. I would think that be more normal for most folks.

I should really do a real test here but these are typical situation lighting

dandrewk

I can't wait for DxO to support the A7rII. Can't wait to see a high ISO image de-noised with their "prime" setting.

dmward

That's impressive.
I looked at all the files in Lightroom and then Looked closely at the 20K file. Its acceptable without any noise reduction, and improves significantly when NR is added.

Will be interesting to compare with A7II and XT-1 at 3200 and 6400.

Over the years I've come to accept that high ISO that is a number on the camera is acceptable while the interpolated ISOs are garbage.

When I think back to what we were willing to accept with pushed processing on transparency and B&W film, these new sensors are amazing.

jamato8

Incredible. I remember struggling to get higher speeds with my slide film with 160 not doing all that well. I was used to ASA50 and was happy. Now what we get is crazy and the quality, with the A7RII, to my eyes, is more film like in that you don't have that digital edge that can make an image look like it was a cut and past. The rendering is a big change to my eyes on what I am seeing and it is going the right way. IMO.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I tend to think it is . I shot the a7II at 1250. It looks to me the ISO 4000 or more on the A7rII looks pretty equal to it

dandrewk

My own limited testing comparing high ISO A7rII vs A7II: For RAW noise, the A7rII is about a stop better than the A7II. For DR and when using NR software, it's about a two stop difference.

Thus, I've upped my "max ISO" number in auto ISO from 6400 to 25600.

Amin

Wow, this all sounds too good to be true. You guys are killing me. Can't find anywhere to buy one :facesmack:.