The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone compared the EVF of the a7rII with the older ones?

mjm6

One of the things that bugs me about the a7r camera is the slight lag in time between the camera moving and the EVF displaying the image... it seems like a 1/10 second lag or something, and it is somewhat disconcerting to me. Not a big deal, but there is a lag present.

Do the newer Mark II cameras speed this up at all? Are they higher in resolution or better in low light levels?

Just curious what peoples' comments are as a (hopefully) incremental improvement over the first generation cameras.

---Michael

Quentin_Bargate

I've not done a comparative test, but the viewfinder on the A7RII is a bit crap, not much better,if at all, than the A7R. Its weakest feature. Not a patch on a good optical viewfinder.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's bigger but I would not say better. I like the size and it's okay focusing at 12.5 but if there is a weak spot , I would say it's here. Everything else works very well. I'm being really picky here. Lag is not a issue

Viramati

So far and from limited use I am finding that it suffers less from the shimmering effect I find on the A7, A7II and A7s around high contrast highlights something I found very annoying. It is larger which can almost be a disadvantage as you have to look around the display to take the whole image in.
Definitely prefer the EVF on my Leica Q

Amin

Am I the only one who finds that shimmering effect helpful for manual focusing? Not talking about peaking here, just the shimmering in the A7 II EVF.

Viramati

Am I the only one who finds that shimmering effect helpful for manual focusing? Not talking about peaking here, just the shimmering in the A7 II EVF.
I know what you mean and have at times used it that way when using an adapted lens but on the whole I prefer it no to be there and use peaking if necessary.

doug

No you're not and I find it more accurate than peaking.

It does take more effort to detect that shimmering/aliasing effect, especially when it's too bright. I do use it in conjunction with peaking to double-check each other.

dandrewk

Personally, when comparing to my A7II, the A7rII has a larger, brighter display. It seems to be a bit crisper, but that might be because of the apparent brightness.

Not at all. I use the shimmer (moire) to MF instead of peaking. Much more accurate and easier to see without zooming.

The issue with the a7RII has to do with the improved magnification which works against seeing edge artifacts clearly.

I think Sony is clearly placing priority and focus (hehe) on AF users - specifically switchers from Canon/Nikon that are used to a nice big OVF. No doubt that the new EVF is larger and more comfortable to view, unless you are looking for that critical shimmer for MF.

win some, lose some.