The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7s or A7r2

mmbma

Should I sell my A7s to fund an A7r2? Does anyone have this dilemma? I enjoy my A7s, love its files, but sometimes find the 12mp limiting. Also these seem to be holding in value better than other A7 models.

Not sure if I need 42mp, but I'm tempted by all the previews and reviews here.

V

Vivek

My dilemma is very different..

I may buy the r2 some day. Absoluety no thoughts about selling the A7s to part fund the r2. I would sell the A7r without a second thought but it is worthless in the used market. I will hold on to it as a reminder.

I am looking foward to the rumored A7000 and likely buy it before the r2.

JoelM

Why was the A7r such a wonderful camera and a game changer when it came out but now it is lowly regarded and practically worthless? Personally, I am actually able to make some nice pictures with mine and while the new rII is tempting, I'm not in a hurry to "upgrade".

Joel

V

Vivek

Why was the A7r such a wonderful camera and a game changer when it came out but now it is lowly regarded and practically worthless? Personally, I am actually able to make some nice pictures with mine and while the new rII is tempting, I'm not in a hurry to "upgrade".

Joel
You into selective reading, Joel? i said it is worthless in the used market (resale value plummeted, in case you are not aware). I did not make any comment about its use for me or anyone else.

Viramati

I have been having exactly the same dilemma causing sleepless nights. Yesterday I went to pick up my RII and took in the A7s and A7II as possible trade in's and in the end after playing around in the shop with the new RII and the A7s comparing different aspects of the camera I just couldn't part with it so it came home with me and the hole in my bank balance is a bit bigger. I suppose I have kept because I still think at high iso's it will still beat the A7rII (which is proving to be very good), it will focus accuratley down to -4EV whereas the A7rII is down to -2EV, the files convert beautifully to B&W. All in all it is just a special camera though it will now probably see less use.

JoelM

Hi Vivek,

Sorry, I wasn't quoting you or even conflicting your opinion. I was making a general statement about the A7r. I suppose it wasn't proper to post it on this thread, but it struck me that we camera owners can be fickle. I'd love the A7rII but I don't want to spend the money right now and wouldn't sell my A7r for $1k or whatever they are down to right now. I thought about converting it to IR in the future, but my Nex7 is doing a great job on its own. So, for now, I am "stuck" with my widely maligned A7r. Hero to zero in less than a year :)

Joel

V

Vivek

It still is a champ for those who use it wisely, Joel. :)

FWIW, I went back to using my NEX-5N (despite 6,7 and the FF cams) and even have a monochrome 5N that sees a LOT of use.

k-hawinkler