The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony file numbering help

engel001

Unlike Nikon or Canon, where file names can be customized in camera, as far as I can see, there is no such customization in Sony cameras. Now that I have used multiple Sony cameras, how do you keep these files straight and prevent accidental overwriting? What is the best practice when downloading RAW and JPEGS to computer (Windows)? The file names are all DSC0001 etc. and identical.

Leigh

I have the same problem with multiple Nikon cameras, all starting with DSC0001..
I don't bother to customize the name prefix.

I set up different main file folders on the computer, using each camera model for the folder name.
Then I create folders by date below them to store the actual image files.

- Leigh

pegelli

I have the same problem with 4 different Sony cameras

I rename immediately after import into lightroom to the following syntax (I've got these set up as semi-automated rename options for all my cameras):

PEG_camera name_X_seq number_YYYYMMDD

PEG: my initials
camera name: self explanatory
X: the dsc counter resets to 00000 after 10000 shots, this is the number of times the camera has done that
seq number: the number after dsc the camera has given the file
YYYYMMDD: Date format

here's an example: PEG_NEX6_2_02345_20150801

Maybe something like this can work for you to keep files from different cameras separated.