The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII towards a secret sauce in LR

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've been fiddling with files a lot in LR (and C1 but that's another story) and found that my usual settings for NR and clarity and sharpening, which with small tweaks I've been using for a while and for a variety of cameras, was giving me results less good than I had hoped.

So this evening I came up with this. It's really for files in the 400/800 to 1250/4000 range depending on subject matter and exposure but with slight tweaks (less NR for lower ISO files and a touch more for higher) it seems to get me much closer to where I want to be.

Historically I shy away from any NR unless really needed but this takes the edge off some of the characteristics of the files I'm less happy with, allows me to use some clarity, and yet still lets me get a sharp file that makes the camera look good. It has a lot more processing than I usually favour but it seems to work.

Caveat is that I am using a 226dpi screen this evening - and to really check this I'd like to see it on a 100dpi screen at 1:1 and 1:2

Anyone care to try it and see what they think? For me it works particularly well to stop OOF transitional areas looking grainy and lumpy. Any suggestions for improvements greatly appreciated!

Clarity should be +10 and then as below.

Last edited:

Viramati

Initially looks good. What sort of range of Clarity are you adding?
Also very similar to the preset I use for my RX100 at base iso though with only 15 of NR

tashley

Subscriber Member
Sorry!! Clarity is +10, forgot to mention that, will put it in as an edit.

This is for screen but I know what I want on screen in order to get me to a good print using my setup of print sharpening and this seems pretty close, though it'll be a week or more before I get to make a large print....