The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What I learned about A7rII Dynamic Range today...

I think we are missing another amazing thing as well. This was shot at ISO 12800 and the camera still has enough DR to pull all that back. Jim Kasson has already shown that this cam is about 1 stop more DR than the D810 at this ISO level... This shows it :D. If you made the same mistake on a D810, it might not be as salvageable.

dmward

I think we are missing another amazing thing as well. This was shot at ISO 12800 and the camera still has enough DR to pull all that back. Jim Kasson has already shown that this cam is about 1 stop more DR than the D810 at this ISO level... This shows it :D. If you made the same mistake on a D810, it might not be as salvageable.
I went through my Lightroom catalog looking for similar exposure situations with A7II. I found one, also a white car. Difference is that the car in inside a showroom with sun outside. I was doing extreme bracketing to create resource files for compositing. (here's a link to the result: http://carart.davidmward.photography its the white Cunningham.)

Anyway, I have a bracket that includes a +2EV exposure. When the exposure is pulled back in Lightroom the highlights take on a dull look with posterized transition to the mid-tones. The bracket was shot at ISO 100 so noise isn't the concern its the blocked up highlights.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I wonder how these all look printed. We obsess over noise in capture but unless it's fugly blocky colour noise then in my experience a print hides a lot of it. Heck, I often have to add it to some files !

dmward

I wonder how these all look printed. We obsess over noise in capture but unless it's fugly blocky colour noise then in my experience a print hides a lot of it. Heck, I often have to add it to some files !
Graham, that is the point.

Until its printed, or the file is converted to a JPG for use on the internet, noise is a technical detail.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll print the two 100% files together using my 3880 to see what they look like. Unfortunately, there is no way to show that on a forum post.

I do know from experience that noise that was visible on screen is not apparent when printed to 24x36. The final print was an acrylic which magnifies defects if anything.