The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII with Sony A Mount 70-400 II Zoom

hcubell

Anyone have direct experience with the Sony A Mount 70-400 II zoom on the A7RII? I have read reports that it does not work at all in Lock On AF-C mode with the LA-EA3 Adaptor, but that it does work in that mode using the LA-EA4 adaptor and Contrast Detect AF (no Phase Detect AF), though not great.
Thanks.

Jim DE

Guy's I have the 70-400 G1 but neither the 3 or 4 A-E adapters as of yet so I won't be able to help in this area for quite awhile.

ohnri

Anyone have direct experience with the Sony A Mount 70-400 II zoom on the A7RII? I have read reports that it does not work at all in Lock On AF-C mode with the LA-EA3 Adaptor, but that it does work in that mode using the LA-EA4 adaptor and Contrast Detect AF (no Phase Detect AF), though not great.
Thanks.
I own the A7r2 and the 70-400G2 and LAEA3 adapter and have been using them with excellent results.

The AF is quick and accurate but no tracking is possible.

The AF-C only works in either single shot or low speed continuous modes, not in the 5fps high speed mode.

I have not tried the contrast detection option at all.

As I said, results are excellent but, at 2 fps, and without tracking, it is not a sports camera. Although, I was quite happily shooting surfers.

It is, naturally, a different experience than the 15fps I get from my NX1.

-Bill

pttdds

My experience is with the Sony 70 400 MI on the A7RII with the La-EA3 adapter. Focus is not brisk, but adequate in daylight. Even hand held images are pretty amazing even at 400mm f5.6 iso 6400. Here's an example of a tripod mounted straight out of the camera jpeg just to give a sense:

pttdds

ggibson

Still have not learned how to post an image even listing a URL from Flickr
You have to grab the actual image URL which ends in .jpg.

On flickr, click the little download arrow in the bottom-right of your picture page and select "View all sizes". From there you can right-click and select "Copy image URL" or "Open image in new tab" to get to a direct .jpg link (these are the right-click menu options in Chrome).

Annna T

Thanks. Think I got it.

Does it open automatically?

pttdds
No because your URL is incomplete : the beginning is missing (http://www.. etc)

Please don't include full size pictures in the thread, post a smaller version with a link to the full size image if you want us to get the full sized picture)