The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony a7R II and Batis Combo - Initial thoughts and images from the coast of Maine

Viramati

Very good review. I am though one of those who didn't like the shimmering effect as it distracted me when trying to compose even though it could help at times with manual focussing.

dandrewk

I am still so torn between the Batis 85 and Sony 90. I -do- shoot occassional close ups, but usually it's for isolation shots, and the f2.8 is less than ideal.

From examples I have seen, both lenses are incredibly sharp and have lovely bokeh. I can't go wrong with either.

In a perfect world, my choice would be the Sony 90. However, it's a beast, and I'm afraid I'd often leave it behind rather than slogging it around. The Batis is much more manageable... but then, it's minimum focus distance pales compared to the Sony.

Tough choice.

Zlatko Batistich

With some lenses a macro converter can be used to reduce the focus distance. I wonder whether the 85 Batis can be used with any kind of macro converter, either between the lens and the camera body, or in front of the lens? Canon makes those macro filters that screw on the front of a lens (not sure if there's one in the right size). Similarly, Raynox makes one that snaps on into the filter thread, although I don't think it will fit on the 85 Batis. Anyway, something like that may be a solution for someone who prefers the 85 but occasionally needs to get closer.

Good review, by the way. Thanks!

ggibson

Thanks for the review! Enjoyable read and some great pictures.

What's your post-processing method? Looks like you're applying some film-like color filters. Care to share some of your key settings?

Thanks for the review! Enjoyable read and some great pictures.

What's your post-processing method? Looks like you're applying some film-like color filters. Care to share some of your key settings?
Thank you. All my edits are done solely in LR using VSCO as a base but I have over 300 additional customized profiles that are unique to specific camera, lens and light conditions. the profiles can vary greatly in their intended effect - some are very neutral while others dramatic.