The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

JMaher

Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

I finally tried out the Nissin 7100 and Air 1 yesterday. Only used one and with a FlashDisc (this forum costs me too much money :))

A little under powered for my taste (I usually use the Godox lights outside) but all in all a nice package.

Princess of All by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

One more - this was a Game of Thrones shoot sponsored by a local Meetup.

Imprisoned by jmmtampa, on Flickr

dmward

Maybe a higher voltage battery would help in the Air 1? Maybe these?
Eneloop Pro AAA High Capacity
Amazon.com: Panasonic BK-3HCCA8BA Eneloop Pro AA High Capacity Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8-Pack: MP3 Players & Accessories

Jim
Jim,
I agree that higher capacity would help. However, the Commander goes out quickly enough that I decided to get 8 of the white rather than 4 of the black higher capacity eneloops.

JMaher

David,

How fast are we talking before the Air becomes too weak? 200 shots, 400, ??

I only shot about 200 photos with it on the camera yesterday but it's still not blinking.

Jim

dmward

Jim,
I'd have to do some math based on the image count.
I probably shot 75 exposures with it at the church. Then it started to act up with maybe 200 or so at the reception.

I still have to start editing so I can do a rough count and update.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I needed help yesterday morning at 5 am. You where all I'm sure asleep. Lol

I was shooting wind turbines and was doing a 30 second exposure and setting the camera delay to 10 seconds enough time for me to walk up and hit the fans with the flash but I could not figure out how to manually zoom the flash either alone or with commander. I wanted about 100mm focal length to focus just on the blades. Okay this thing is 100 ft tall and blades alone 3 I would say create about 60 foot diameter so I'm really aiming up. I got the shot and actually hit the flash 2 or 3 times to capture the movement or better said stop it.

Anyway I could not figure it out how to zoom . I was shooting manual full output in flash. I'll post the image this weekend it looks killer

JMaher

Funny,

I just looked over my flash and I don't have any idea of how to zoom it either, and of course I don't see where I put the instructions.

Jim

Anyway I could not figure it out how to zoom
Easy, peasy. Press mode button until the zoom function is illuminated on the commander, press select to choose an individual bank or all banks, then use the wheel to adjust the zoom.

EN_AIR1_rev_1_5.jpg

Guy Mancuso

tried that Mike I never saw the zoom light up when rotating the dial. I'll try again when I get home.

Pressing the mode button repeatedly should cycle through TTL, manual and zoom on the display. Doesn't it do that?

Guy Mancuso

Yes it does do that and I got to Z and rotated dial and nothing.

Yes it does do that and I got to Z and rotated dial and nothing.
After it shows the 'Z', then you have to press the center button to select which bank(s) you want to zoom. The bank row(s) blink to indicate they are selected. Only when they are blinking can you zoom. (I'm doing this from memory, but I'm pretty sure of the sequence.)

Guy Mancuso

Okay I waited till they stopped blinking. I'll try it in the morning

Guy Mancuso

Okay got it now. I was not waiting for all the channels to be blinking. Mike you nailed it . Thank You so where the hell where you at 5 am on Thursday morning bud. LOL

I was pretty close to you actually about 40 miles north of Des Moines. Okay a couple hundred miles. LOL

dmward

The Zooming part I got.
What is frustrating me at the moment is that one of my three speedlites is set to M when in wireless for Commander control. The other two are set in TTL as I want.

I can't figure out a) now it got to M mode and b) how to get it back to TTL.

JMaher

David,
While trying to make zooming work I un-mated one of my flashes from the Air 1. You might try re-mating that unit.

Jim

JMaher

A question to all. These flash units use the multi interface foot which really doesn't work well with regular cold feet (on stands, etc). To work well you need something with the two little holes for the flash to lock into. The mini stands that come with the flashes work but are fairly flimsy. Are there any alternatives available? I couldn't find any in searching this morning.

Jim