The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

JMaher

Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

Looks like a good combination - I may need to try one of these.

dmward

Was doing some testing tonight with 3 Di700s and Air 1.
The TTL results are inconsistent.
One will be under exposed, next properly exposed then next over exposed.

Im testing in my basement work room so that may be a concern.

Anyone else seeing anything unusual?

dmward

Was doing some testing tonight with 3 Di700s and Air 1.
The TTL results are inconsistent.
One will be under exposed, next properly exposed then next over exposed.

Im testing in my basement work room so that may be a concern.

Anyone else seeing anything unusual?
Bit more testing this morning and I discovered the problem.

The camera was set to bracket 2 EV plus and minus. I had been out shooting the lake and clouds and forgotten to reset the shutter to single shot. So, while being frustrated I learned something. The bracketing settings also implement FE bracketing. Not sure if that is in the manual.

dmward

Thanks for not being too proud to share your lesson/mistake! I've been considering getting these strobes, and your earlier post had me a bit worried.
Mike, I have learned over the years, and there are a lot of them under my bridge, that most of the time unexpected behavior has a user error component. That is one reason I always test and then test some more before taking new equipment on a job.

Now that I know how to set them up they look like a useful system. I know I can fall back to manual but I do like the freedom TTL offers.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Mike, I have learned over the years, and there are a lot of them under my bridge, that most of the time unexpected behavior has a user error component. That is one reason I always test and then test some more before taking new equipment on a job.

Now that I know how to set them up they look like a useful system. I know I can fall back to manual but I do like the freedom TTL offers.
Good news than. I have not really tested it too much myself so good to hear that and thanks for letting us know right away. **** happens and that crop mode gets me sometimes too. Flashing warnings would be handy. Obviously in my case age does come to bear as well.

Guy Mancuso

The two biggest pluses here for me is one to be able to get the flash off camera without cords and second having that built in optical to sync with my studio stuff. TTL is great and having HSS is very useful shooting people outdoors. At some point I will add more units to the system.

Guess there hard to get now.

I would have went Phottix but that several months of back order was not good. I'm happy so far.

V

Vivek

Guy, Thanks for the samples. Good to have some real contribution instead of hotair. :)

dmward

The two biggest pluses here for me is one to be able to get the flash off camera without cords and second having that built in optical to sync with my studio stuff. TTL is great and having HSS is very useful shooting people outdoors. At some point I will add more units to the system.

Guess there hard to get now.

I would have went Phottix but that several months of back order was not good. I'm happy so far.
I used Canon 600EX-RT from the day they were available. Before that I struggled with Pocket Wizard ControlTL.
Getting speedlites to work without a hassle during an event or wedding is a big deal for me.

I finally got one of the Phottix Mitros + units. It was a very long wait. I didn't get the Odin, want to wait for the version 2 to be available. It is going back now that I have the Nissin. Very useful. Guy, I have never been a fan of optical triggering. These Nissin units have a sync port so a radio trigger used for the studio strobes can be attached.

For studio lighting, on location for me, I use the Cheetah Lights. One benefit is a common radio trigger, remote power control that works with all the options from manual speedlites to 600Ws head and battery pack unit. When I did more of that I has Einsteins. Loved the way the Cyber Commander worked. Being able to get power down to 2.5Ws eliminated need for lower output units.

It is useful having options. If I were in a pinch the optical trigger on the Nissin is handy.

dmward

Here's a test shot of my ever patient Mannie.

70-200, F8, ISO 100, SS 1/200.
There are two Nissan Di700a speedlites being used and controlled by Air 1.
The main (camera left) is plus 1.5 FEC. The fill ( a bit camera right) is minus .5 FEC.

Main is in a 24in pop up square softbox. The fill is in a similar 16" softbox.

Raw was imported into Lightroom CC using a custom camera profile that applies the Base tone curve which is a bit flatter than the Adobe Default.
Then I applied a medium tone curve in the Develop Module and -50 highlights, +50 shadows.

Reading the color checker gray scale black and white squares indicates that the image is maybe .25 EV below optimum readings.

Mannies gray paller is about the same reflectance as northern european caucasian skin. The white background is a really old piece of once white foam core about a foot behind Mannie. The main is about 2 feet from him and the fill about 2.5 feet. That's one thing I like about TTL for headshots. I can get the ratio I want even if I can't get the lights in precisely the right spot without having to jiggle power settings.

Not as handsome as Guy, but a quick illustration of two light setup with Nissin NAS lighting.

20150821DSC01307.jpg

Zlatko Batistich

Can anyone comment on the AF assist light? This looks like a good flash — the only one with built-in radio for Sony — but I hesitate to buy it for one reason. As a wedding/event shooter I'm often using flash in low-light indoor evening settings. An AF assist light really helps for AF, but if it's too strong it can be annoying to subjects. I've found that my Canon flashes have really good AF assist lights, not too weak and not too strong. They're reddish but not overpowering. But unlike the Canons, my little Nissin i40 sends out a powerful red/orange beam that's so bright that it just seems annoying. I've put some white tape over it to weaken it a bit. So is the new Nissan Di700a's AF assist light very bright, or is it more subtle like a typical Canon flash. The only way to judge this is in a darkened room, perhaps in the evening. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Guy Mancuso

Here's a test shot of my ever patient Mannie.

70-200, F8, ISO 100, SS 1/200.
There are two Nissan Di700a speedlites being used and controlled by Air 1.
The main (camera left) is plus 1.5 FEC. The fill ( a bit camera right) is minus .5 FEC.

Main is in a 24in pop up square softbox. The fill is in a similar 16" softbox.

Raw was imported into Lightroom CC using a custom camera profile that applies the Base tone curve which is a bit flatter than the Adobe Default.
Then I applied a medium tone curve in the Develop Module and -50 highlights, +50 shadows.

Reading the color checker gray scale black and white squares indicates that the image is maybe .25 EV below optimum readings.

Mannies gray paller is about the same reflectance as northern european caucasian skin. The white background is a really old piece of once white foam core about a foot behind Mannie. The main is about 2 feet from him and the fill about 2.5 feet. That's one thing I like about TTL for headshots. I can get the ratio I want even if I can't get the lights in precisely the right spot without having to jiggle power settings.

Not as handsome as Guy, but a quick illustration of two light setup with Nissin NAS lighting.

View attachment 94381
I have slightly more texture going on. ROTFLMAO

Guy Mancuso

I used mine today I'll post some images after I process but I loved it and was screaming to have two units on hand. Love to have a 3 unit set

Guy Mancuso

After yesterday I am convinced I want at least 1 more unit if not three and I wish I had them with me but I went out in a factory with it and a Stofen bounce diffuser plus a a green correction filter on the flash and just used it mainly for fill and stop some people motion. Worked really nice. I went and put it on a lightstand and shot with the Air commander. I still need to figure out the channels once I get more units but Ill get there.

Shot these at ISO 640 at about 1/40 and F6.3 or so Batis 25mm. Handheld

dmward

Lookin' good.

The group is set in the flash once you've selected the wireless option icon.

Then the Commander is used to set the mode and power.

Once the FEC is set via the commander per group, its possible to change it for all groups as a set to fine tune flash exposure relative to ambient.

It takes a little playing around to get the hang of it. Then its a snap.

JMaher

You two need to stop talking about this. :)
I went to thinking about and then to ordering it and now to waiting for it as it back-ordered.

I need one so I can play too.

I have an Odin trigger and receiver and it works fine but this look smaller and like a more elegant solution. Especially as my Odin needs and adapter as its for the old hot shoe.

Jim

dmward

Jim,
These are a nice solution.
I ordered a Phottix Mitros + long ago and it finally arrived about a week before these were available.
The Mitros + is going back.

The two advantages with the Mitros + and Odin is ability to have an on-camera fill with off camera lights. And more groups.

If Phottix ever gets the Odin II going and the TTL strobes working with it for Sony I'll have to revisit.