The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

dmward

Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

This forum is not good for my bank account :) Ordered a flash dish for delivery before my trip.

Jim
You'll be glad. Its great for popping some light into a shot. Especially if you're willing to hold camera in one hand and light in the other.

Dang things look pretty cool.
They are quite versatile. Work well for small product photography since they weigh next to nothing. Speedlite on a small table top stand with head tilted works like a charm. For a long time the first thing I misplaced was the plastic foot stand that comes with every speedlite. Now I make sure they are in the bag so I can put the light on them with a flash disk on it.

This was shot in a chapel anteroom. I put the speedlite, with flash disk attached on the shelf of a coat rack camera left.

DW2T7727.jpg

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

You'll be glad. Its great for popping some light into a shot. Especially if you're willing to hold camera in one hand and light in the other.

They are quite versatile. Work well for small product photography since they weigh next to nothing. Speedlite on a small table top stand with head tilted works like a charm. For a long time the first thing I misplaced was the plastic foot stand that comes with every speedlite. Now I make sure they are in the bag so I can put the light on them with a flash disk on it.
Yea I started a small Domke x5 bag or whatever the name is. But two flashes, batteries both feet for strobes. Rogue gells and heck I could fit two of these as well. Okay need to find 100 bucks . Order two of these. I use a Stofen for grip and grin single on camera flash pointed up. But these are handy plus I have very small umbrellas as well

There are many times I could use these instead of bringing the big lights.

JMaher

I am bringing 2 of the lights (only one Flash dish till I see how I like it) the Air 1 and small umbrella, etc on my trip along with a number of lenses. Large bag to carry everything and a Domke F-3X for when I am actually shooting. I have a Domke F 5xB but that only holds the camera with one lens and a 2nd lens. No room in that for the flash units.

Jim

Last edited:

dmward

Yea I started a small Domke x5 bag or whatever the name is. But two flashes, batteries both feet for strobes. Rogue gells and heck I could fit two of these as well. Okay need to find 100 bucks . Order two of these. I use a Stofen for grip and grin single on camera flash pointed up. But these are handy plus I have very small umbrellas as well

There are many times I could use these instead of bringing the big lights.
I quit using big lights for weddings and small groups a long time ago.
One kit I assemble is in a Domke bag. I think its the Little Bit Bigger or x7 size.
Anyway the dividers create 8 pockets. Which hold; 2 speedlites; Camera with lens attached; two additional lenses; extra batteries for speedlites; front pockets have camera batteries; Card holder; back pocket has a couple of flash disks and some gels as well as some black foamie things for the speedlites. A third speedlite if I think I'll need it. Second camera body if I'm going to be way away from my gear case. If its going to be a long day I'll use a wheel cart for the bag. I'll put two or three light stands into a bag. Usually with the E brackets sometimes with Justin clamps with a ball head that has a cold shoe.

If I know the venue is going to require a lot of light, I'll replace two of the speedlites with bare bulb strobes. I use Cheetah Light 360s.

With the Di700s and commander I'm comfortable in most situations.

dmward

I use a Stofen for grip and grin single on camera flash pointed up.
Guy, The advantages of the flash disk over the Stofen are;
Much larger light source relative to subject when in close.
No bouncing of light all over the place.
Gets more of the flash output onto the subject
Works great with TTL

I've got lots of Stofen knock offs that never get used anymore. :eek:

mark1958

i received my second flash. It works on camera but i cannot get it to fire via the wireless remote. The original flash that came with the controller works fine. For the new unit, I have the correct channel and mode but it still won't fire. I suspect something is wrong but before i return-- perhaps there is something i need to do to synch with a particular controller?

dmward

I just reread the instructions and now I have a sinking feeling.
I took delivery Thursday of a second Commander/Speedlite kit. I'm big on having backups since I use these for weddings and events. My plan was to have two Commanders so that I could either, have one for backup or have one on each camera.

I'll have to confirm with some testing but I now expect that its not possible to have a speedlite linked to two Commanders. If that's the case its a major shortcoming.

Softboxes vs light disc on Nissins

The cheap copy of the Flash Disc arrived, and I shot these quick comparisons to satisfy my curiosity about their relative effectiveness at softening the flash.

The small disc does a surprisingly good job for something so small, but ultimately it can't match the softness of even the 15x15 softbox - the light is not as uniform and the smaller surface area means harsher shadows (still worlds better than a straight flash though).

Look at the shadows cast by the globe of the ceiling light and the furniture to see the effects most clearly.

Here's the flash disc -
12-inch softdisc.jpg

A 15x15 soft box -
15-inch softbox.jpg

And a 24x24 soft box -
24-inch softbox.jpg

This shows the uniformity of the light coming out of the flash disc - no match for the bulkier soft boxes, which are very uniform across their whole surface.
Flash tests-008.jpg

V

Vivek

Re: Softboxes vs light disc on Nissins

The cheap copy of the Flash Disc arrived, and I shot these quick comparisons to satisfy my curiosity about their relative effectiveness at softening the flash.

The small disc does a surprisingly good job for something so small, but ultimately it can't match the softness of even the 15x15 softbox - the light is not as uniform and the smaller surface area means harsher shadows (still worlds better than a straight flash though).

Look at the shadows cast by the globe of the ceiling light and the furniture to see the effects most clearly.
Thank you! :)

Dan Bellyk

Just ordered the flash and commander from B&H, hopefully it will arrive soon

dmward

Mike,
I just noticed something on the image of the disk.

View attachment 94978

The light is all above the black rectangle.
The way the FStoppers disk is designed, the rectangle is intended to block the bright light right at the flash tube. So the rectangle should be above the flash head.

So the rectangle should be above the flash head.
It's hard to tell from the image, but the flash is positioned so the upper edge is in the middle of the light blocking rectangle. I should try it with the flash even lower though. And perhaps different settings on the flash zoom.

dmward

This thread has got me thinking that I should do some tests to see what the optimum configuration is for using the disk.

One thing I've wondered about is using the wide angle adapter. The theory is that since all the light is bouncing around inside the disk its not being spread and thus shouldn't be as detrimental to total light output.

dmward

I've found a disappointing limitation in the NAS system.
The AAA batteries in the Commander run out of energy way too fast.
I've been using three Di700a speedlites on stands for receptions. Also use one through an umbrella as fill for alter group shoots.

The Commander has exhausted its batteries quickly every time. And, even though the display starts to flash and flicker as a warning, what makes me notice is that suddenly the speedlites start acting erratically. And, naturally, always at the worst possible time.

The other limiting design element is inability to have two Commanders firing the same speedlites. I used that capability with Canon 600EX-RT system and two cameras. It also means there can be a backup without having to re-sync the speedlites with a new Commander.

With these limitations, its still a very nice package.