The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

So I could buy a 2 Light Godox kit here.

http://www.amazon.com/AD360-Externa...&qid=1446826611&sr=8-2&keywords=godox+360+kit

Than add a third Nissin flash. Have 3 Nissin cables. I ordered 2 already and one Flashpoint pack.

So lets say I did that for studio. I could use all 5 heads if wanted too share 2 heads on 2 packs. Than use the Godox transmitter for the Godox heads use the Nissin on optical slave . Everything will fire.

Than I could on location use three Nissin heads each having a pack and use the Nissin trigger and use as TTL units and HSS.

Or i could use 2 Godox units on manual when I really need the juice. So in essence put in about 1k and have a tremendous battery system.

On location I avoid optical slaves becuase someone always wants to shoot with there flash. So i am protecting myself not using all 5 on a event either 3 Nissin or 2 Godox depending on gig

JMaher

Other than not yet trying the Nissin units as optical slaves everything you described should work fine. I have basically everything described except 2 Nissin units and (1) 360 and (1) 180 (older - lower powered version of the 360) that I bought before the 360. Like you I am going to order cables so the Nissin can use the Godox batteries. (David - that was a great idea.)

Now if you ever want to go crazy Godox also sells ridiculously inexpensive studio strobes that use the same trigger and can be controlled remotely. They start at $139 without receiver and go up from there.
Godox DS200 200w/s Monolight | Blink Photographic

Jim

Last edited:

dmward

Guy,
My Cheetah/Godox kit includes 3 CL-360, 1 CL-180, 4 V850s.
They all fire and have remote power control.
The V850s have internal Li-Ion batteries that give them recycle similar to a speedlite with external battery. And, lots of pops.

I also have a CL-600 which is 600 Ws. Its a head and pack unit with a Li-Ion battery on the pack. Only one head per pack.
It also has an LED modeling light. I got the first version as a pre-release test unit from Edward and then the updated product unit.
It does a creditable job filling in shadows with back lit shots on sunny days.

I have 4 Nissin Di700a as well.

I'm thinking about selling the V850s and the 180 since they overlap too much with other stuff.

If I remember, there was something about Nissin releasing a receiver for triggering non-Di700a speedlites. That would permit triggering the Cheetah/Godox lights without having to use the optical feature.

Another way to use optical is to set the Cheetah/Godox lights to S2 and then let the Nissin Air system fire them. The S2 option permits using the Nissin in TTL since it ignores the pre-flash. That also may save them being fired by others with P&S cameras.

dmward

David I'm noticing that the flashpoint battery and the Godox battery look the same. I could use them with the correct cable on either Godox or Nissin. Do you have a image of the Godox cable end or the unit itself.

From some reading it looks like quantum cables as well. It looks like a standard. What I could do is get 2 360 heads Godox units and buy one more Nissin. That would give me 3 big batteries. 2 Godox heads and 3 Nissin. What transmitter?
The Flashpoint stuff is rebranded Godox. As is are the Cheetah Lights.

They use the same plug as the Quantum batteries.

This is the transmitter for the Cheetah/Godox.

Here is another version that has a mini-jack for working with a TTL speedlite. It may work with the Di700a.

These transmitters have a mini-jack so it may be possible to plug it into a Di700a and fire the Cheetah/Godox lights via the Nissin. I'll give it a test.

BTW, the reason I use Cheetah Light links is because I did some beta testing for Edward and find him to be a really nice guy with high customer service standards.

Last edited:

dmward

Thanks David. I'm looking at all this
Guy,
One thing to consider if you're thinking about buying the Cheetah/Godox 360. At some point They changed the power cable plug in the flash. The newer version has a slot on the cable and a corresponding ridge in the plug.

All of my units have the older design so now, if I want to simplify cable management I have to buy used. Just something of which to be aware.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David. I've been not been able to look at everything yet but doing so this weekend. One thing that maybe a bonus is Quantum has a ton of cables. So I'll look into that as well.

I want to find a extension male/female maybe 12 foot or so . That could be useful in the studio. I may hold on the third Nissin and get some beauty dish, grids and such. Let's hope my Dynalites sell soon

dmward

Guy,
There are longer power cables available. Two options; one with the the plug for the flash the other with a double plug with the standard multipin connector. Both are on the Cheetahstand site if you want to see what they look like.

I have the long cables which makes it easy to keep the battery at the bottom of the stand. It also means I can use the Y cable to improve recycle time.

The S brackets with either Bowens of Elinchrom mounts are a great way to mount the light on a stand.
It permits using any modifier you have or acquire with the appropriate adapter.

JMaher

I will echo David's comment about the "S" brackets. They are basically a must have and work great.

Jim

dmward

Got back from shooting a wedding using the Di700a with the Cheetah/Godox external batteries.
None of the external batteries went from 4 to 3 lights. Which means with all the shooting all the batteries have more than 3/4 capacity left. That means at least 3 weddings per charge. And, I did not have to replace the AAs in the speedlites either.

I had two problems, the first was user error. I forgot to press the on button on the external battery. No problem other than the speedlite didn't recycle quite fast enough a couple of times. That's when I realized I'd forgotten to turn on the power.

Other problem is one of the Di700as quit working. At first I thought maybe I'd got it into overheat slowdown. But it didn't feel hot. So I swapped it for another unit and kept going. Now I'll find out how good Nissin and Adorama are about warranty support.

This is the first time that a speedlite, any strobe, as quit working on its own. I've had a couple of other stop, but first I had to have them fall over in the wind or some other external trauma.

The S brackets with either Bowens of Elinchrom mounts are a great way to mount the light on a stand.
Thanks for pointing those out. I got some to use with with my Lastolite & Impact soft boxes and they work great. They hold the flash very firmly without having to worry about damaging the plastic foot of the flash, and add a tilt mechanism. Inexpensive too!

Guy Mancuso

You should see my shopping cart. 17 items and getting close to hitting the button. I m getting 2 of those S brackets actually thinking of ordering four. 2 Godox AD 360 units and just about every accessory they make.

Guy Mancuso

Done

4 S brackets for all four heads 2 Nissin 2 AD 360. Total 4 heads and 3 Battery packs
2 AD 360 systems
3 Y cables
1 Extension cable
2 Newer folding soft box 24x24
3 Light stand clips
Grid with gels
Godox Octagon 47 inch soft box

and something else. I need a bag to carry all heads and accessories still looking

I have umbrellas and stands.

Guy Mancuso

I may add another head which would give me 3 AD 360 and 3 Packs and use that as really my main kit. Than use the Nissin for TTL and HSS work and i can use the Powerpacks. So Im leaning towards the extra head in the AD360

Guy Mancuso

I think I found a used AD360 head for 289.00 which is the same price for a new Nissin flash only at 249.00

Trying to decide either 3 Nissin or 3 Godox heads. Either way used separately I have 3 battery packs. My issue is so many different uses. Product, portraits, outside fill, groups indoors and outdoors and than on camera event crap. I have just enough leftover money to do one of them.

My one concern and maybe we should talk about it . Nissin durability, Nissin bigger unit maybe. GoDox going Sony TTL if ever but is it just the transmitter receivers that would need replacing which I could deal with but the whole unit would really make me mad after buying them. Thoughts