The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

I know we slipped over to Godox but I think it's a great conversation since we all look at mixing our systems up with Nissin as part of our kits or the main part of them. I'm learning a ton so let's continue on. Again Jim, David, Mike and others thanks you don't know how much this has helped

V

Vivek

Alright, I have one Air, finally. Awesome flash. :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Awesome they are really nice flashes.

Okay I have a dumb question. I shot these last week doing a groups inside and outside recycle times they did well. But what I did and not sure if it matters doing TTL was I turned the head part into the umbrella but kept the front of the flash towards the subjects. Basically flash pointing backwards. My thought was the front of the flash sees the light output and shuts it down on what light output it needs given the aperture. My question is does it have to face the front. If I use my S brackets I'm wondering if I need to get them to face the front or is the camera seeing the light and cutting of the power. Interesting question here.

But what I did and not sure if it matters doing TTL was I turned the head part into the umbrella but kept the front of the flash towards the subjects. Basically flash pointing backwards. My thought was the front of the flash sees the light output and shuts it down on what light output it needs given the aperture. My question is does it have to face the front. If I use my S brackets I'm wondering if I need to get them to face the front or is the camera seeing the light and cutting of the power.
If you're doing TTL with the Air, it doesn't matter which way the body of the flash is pointing; all the light sensing happens in the camera.

Guy Mancuso

Well I decided to get my studio setup first so I got the demo 360 head for 289 and a receiver . So 3 Godox systems. I can always add the Nissin after I get everything in place. I found a old Lightware MF case in the garage that may carry the whole kit. I think I'm set up pretty well. I gave up a 1600 watt pack which I never shot at full power, so with 3 AD 360 I should be fine. I'm excited to get all this.

JMaher

As Mike stated about the direction of the Nissin. It doesn't matter as the camera is measuring the light. I have used them facing both ways.

While I really like the Nissin, the power of the Godox units makes them much more versatile. They are all good units but if I could only have one it would be the Godox.

I hope they go ETTl on Sony at some point and it most likely only will require a new transmitter but that's just speculation.

On another note I bought one of the Godox to Sony power cords and tried it out last night. Godox battery and Nissin flash. Worked great and recycled very quickly. Great idea David.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Yea I got two of those Sony cables at home just waiting in power pack today to try. Glad to hear on the Nissin can face either way. I want to use those S brackets which are more secure than those umbrella brackets. The S brackets have a umbrella slot in them

JMaher

I have a couple of the S brackets and use them regularly. You need to decide what modifiers you want as you can get the S brackets in different flavors. I have the Bowens mount as it is fairly universal and there are a lot of inexpensive Bowens options. You can also get it in an Elichron mount if you are in love with their "deep octa" or have Elichron modifiers already.

Last but not least here's a deal on the 360 if you need another one, $319 apparently with the appropriate discount code.
http://flashhavoc.com/adorama-deals-flashpoint-streaklight-kit/

Guy Mancuso

That's a nice deal. I would have saved 180 dollars

Oh well. I went all Bowens mounts. Tons of options with it

I saved buying demo pack and head so it works out

Guy Mancuso

Mine just went down. It was firing just sitting here testing with new battery than all of a sudden it went dead. The other flash is working perfectly. 2 problems I bout this 7/26 which is past 30 days. Second problem its the one with air commander. Got a gig Saturday but I can use other flash on camera.

Mine lights up and looks ready open flash button won't work nor on camera. Its a dead fish.

David was yours one of the first too come out. This unit is from I think first release

JMaher

Please keep us updated on what happens with this. My units are both working. I do have a question - were the two of you using an external battery pack when your flash went down? Just looking for a common issue here.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Jim just sitting here in my office popped it several times with power pack than removed power pack and went flash only on manual and bam nothing with open test button. I hear it grind when I turn it on.

I just sent Nissin a later and my receipt and asked for a unit shipped overnight. Lets see how that flies

SamSS

Last but not least here's a deal on the 360 if you need another one, $319 apparently with the appropriate discount code.
ADORAMA DEALS – FLASHPOINT StreakLight 360 Kit – $319.95 – UPDATE Offer Extended! | FLASH HAVOC
Good find. Bought one just to try even though I've too many flashes already. Thanks

Does anyone knows if using 2 trigger on 2 camera would trigger on the same flash(es)? That way I don't have to swap out or change the trigger.

Guy Mancuso

Immediate response . David take note

Dear User,

Thank you for your mail and using Nissin Di700A + Air 1 Sony Kit Set.

To save the time and effort. You may test the flash unit again by install new batteries set (or doing pairing again with Air 1 with not fire with Air 1).

If the flash is still not working properly. You may contact to our local distributor for warranty service.

According to the serial no. s/n: 5629010107 on Invoice. It is Di700A + Air 1 Sony Kit Set which belongs to our local distributor MINOX USA in USA. Here is the contact information for your further action.

Minox USA.
TEL:866-469-3080 / 603-287-4840 / FAX:603-287-4834
P.O. Box 123 Meriden, NH 03770
www.minox.com/usa / [email protected]

Regards,

Thank you very much.

Nissin Digital
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nissin-Digital/403086046406602
Webiste: http://www.nissindigital.com

Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 8:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Contact Us(Inquiry)

Phoenix. Arizona, USA****************************************
Where do you live?
The name of the country you live or stay is requested to specify in your letter of question for our right contact.
I purchased a Nissin DI700A Kit set for Sony with Air commander from B&H photo and the unit will not fire after it has been working fine. Im a working Pro and I have a shoot this Saturday and Im down a whole set here. Enclosed is my receipt from B&H photo and its after 30 days so they will have nothing to do with this at this point. I need a new unit shipped immediately and I can send this wherever it needs to go. Please let me know immediately. Thank You

Here is receipt

Guy Mancuso

So Minox USA is our warranty zone. I'll send this on to them tonight and see how fast they respond. This was fast

Guy Mancuso

Yea I actually switched holders from the good flash. I'll try it again , maybe it's having a brain fart. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Good find. Bought one just to try even though I've too many flashes already. Thanks

Does anyone knows if using 2 trigger on 2 camera would trigger on the same flash(es)? That way I don't have to swap out or change the trigger.
Yes you can use two triggers , although I have not tried it but it would be like a pocket wizard .