The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

I might just send this thread link to Nissin and Minox and get those folks reading this thread as its a awesome thread on these units.

dmward

This stuff is freaking cool. I never seen anything recycle this fast. Im waiting on big brown to roll up for all the other parts.

BTW the S brackets are the best thing going since the coming of light. Throw all that other crap away, these are the best thing going. BIG main reason for that comment is my hotshoe is not touching anything but air and if you want to screw up a speed light fast just put it in those dump umbrella brackets. This S bracket the hot shoe is out of loop and thats a good thing. Especially these Sony shoes with all the contacts in front and such.
And there is THIS if you want to mount more than one light in a modifier.

Guy Mancuso

So I bought a inexpensive case from Vanguard which is interior inside dimensions: (LxWxH) 17.5x12.75x6.875"

Here Amazon.com : Vanguard Divider Bag 46 Camera Bag : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo

Anyway i got everything in and really like the way it is in this bag. I did not only take the hot shoe off but you do pick up a little extra space because the profile is smaller. Honestly I would never mount this to a camera

Here are the descriptions of slots

My only basic problem is 2 folding soft boxes and 4 S brackets I got them in my light stand bag which for now is working. I would not mind a roller here. But Im thrilled and they recycle on dual power outlets like 1.5 seconds. On 1/4 power its instant

So basically I have 3 Godox and 1 nissin in the bag at all times. I leave the other Nissin and commander out in my camera bag for grip and grin stuff but can always be the 5th flash if needed. Or I can break out the two Nissin and two packs and put in a small camera bag. I have a Octagon soft box coming from China now. I want to order a folding beauty dish as well

Im really happy I pulled the trigger on this as I think its perfect for me

Guy Mancuso

So reading the ad360 manual very carefully. HSS mode is in the head and it looks like all we need is a transmitter for Sony. Most likely receivers as well. So when a Dedicated transmitter for Sony we will need to upgrade transmitter and receivers only. That's the way I'm reading the manual.

Nissin replacement came and is back in service. From one of David's comments when using both systems in tandem it looks best to use the Nissin air commander and put Ad 360 in S2 mode

dmward

So reading the ad360 manual very carefully. HSS mode is in the head and it looks like all we need is a transmitter for Sony. Most likely receivers as well. So when a Dedicated transmitter for Sony we will need to upgrade transmitter and receivers only. That's the way I'm reading the manual.

Nissin replacement came and is back in service. From one of David's comments when using both systems in tandem it looks best to use the Nissin air commander and put Ad 360 in S2 mode
The Phoenix Odin should work to get the camera to HSS mode if you can find one with Sony mount.

Ideally, it will be a receiver for the Nissin Air.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

The Phoenix Odin should work to get the camera to HSS mode if you can find one with Sony mount.

Ideally, it will be a receiver for the Nissin Air.
But the Phottix Odin is what you'll want. :thumbup:
(I think that Apple's spell checker got you there!)

dmward

Just had a nice talk with Tom at Minox USA about my Di700a that failed.
It's the same failure that Guy reported.
He said that they have been having some problems with the first batch of units. Nothing consistent enough to justify a recall. He is going to look at my unit and see if its something that can be fixed. They are waiting for a shipment so there is no stock for immediate turn around.

Guy probably got the last one they had in stock. :)

Guy Mancuso

Good and bad news it seems. I feel bad David. Mine worked a charm Saturday though so hopefully it was the first batch only. OT got the Godox Octagon soft box and its a beauty but I noticed this in others which makes it a real pain to setup. They have the little pocket for the wands at the tipoff the soft box but they all seem to fail to put some loops at the top so the wands just don't fly around all over the place. I decided to run to Ace hardware and get some male and female velcro. Put a sticky male on the box than wrap it with the female side that way they just stay in place when I knock it down and roll it up.

My biggest dilemma is more a rolling carry case . I need about 38 inches long and 12x12.
Im thinking of this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Im still in debate. If anyone has any ideas on something decent let me know.

dmward

We probably should start another thread about Godox and modifier options.
I like to use the umbrella frame modifiers ala Apollo. I've been buy knock-offs because the early Apollos had U channel metal ribs that failed quite easily. With the knock-offs I found that I could put fiberglas rods in the channel and tape them in place to minimize failure.

They fit nicely into the umbrella mount that attaches to the head of the strobe. I put them on a Justin clamp that has a ball head with cold shoe. The provides enough off set so I can tilt it down at least 45* maybe more.

Not sure which Godox octa you got The only one I have is the small one that fits onto the head like a reflector. I think its about 16".

For larger, either the umbrella frame approach or Fotodiox EZ-PRO. They are soft boxes that fold like an umbrella with a speedring adapter so they will fit on the S bracket.

JMaher

Softbox

I like the folding options as well with a Bowens mount. I like the ones from Phottix as well as the Fotodiox EZ-PRO. I also have a 37" octa from SP Systems that works great.

Jim

TEAM KEN

This site is always informative.
I use the Nissin, and have had one of my 3 units, shoe foot break, that the warranty will replace.Great customer service..in my humble opinion.

Also..always thought of going a bit more portable.
Thanks to Mr Guy's post...and the post with the discount code for the Adorama branded models, I now have 3-360s headed my direction. I think it will be fantastic easy traveling kit.
I appreciate all those that share the opinions, and help others with work arounds, and helpful info.
Everyone have a blessed day.
Cheers,
KEN

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Ken. I know we drifted on to the AD 360 lighting as well but I know for myself this will be a combination with both systems or one for a certain job and another for another certain job. I know I am the culprit for including both systems but I also feel it gave us some great info and Im going to change the title to include the AD 360 as well. To me this is why we are here to learn all we can to accomplish the end goal of getting the systems in place we need. I think some very important guidance and also learning of Nissin customer service and the functionality to get these to work as a great TTL/HSS wireless system but also combine a more traditional lighting of the AD360 to work in combination with the Nissin. So end of day its all good to me at least and I think the members would agree and also I want to personally thank everyone as this helped me a great deal. When I can learn something from other members with all my years than I know that same info helped a boat load of others. Again maybe the best thread on GetDPI ever. So keep it going

V

Vivek

This site is always informative.
I use the Nissin, and have had one of my 3 units, shoe foot break, that the warranty will replace.Great customer service..in my humble opinion.

Also..always thought of going a bit more portable.
Thanks to Mr Guy's post...and the post with the discount code for the Adorama branded models, I now have 3-360s headed my direction. I think it will be fantastic easy traveling kit.
I appreciate all those that share the opinions, and help others with work arounds, and helpful info.
Everyone have a blessed day.
Cheers,
KEN
+1 to that!

This is one of the shining examples (literally!) of this forum/people. :thumbs:

SamSS

The Flashpoint came yesterday. Very very nice.
I suspected that it's going to good and ordered another last Saturday due to arrives tomorrow.
Also ordered a bunch of accessories. Better to have than not when needed. :facesmack:

1x Godox PB960 Power Pack USB Power Cable Conversion (tap to power pack to charge electronics, phone, tablets...ect.)
1x Godox FG-40 Flash Grip Hot Shoe Professional Flash Handle Grip
1x Godox CX high insulation Power Cable for CANON
1x Godox AD-S9 Snoot with Honeycomb Grid
1x Godox AD-S11 Color Filter Gel Pack with Honeycomb Grid
2x Godox AD-S15 Aluminum alloy high quality Flash Lamp Tube Bulb Protector
2x Godox AD-S17 Wide Angle Soft Focus Shade Diffuser
2x Godox DB-02 Cable Y Adapter 2 to 1 for PROPAC Power Pack PB960
2x PRO Godox S-Type Durable plastics Bracket Bowens Mount Holder

a7 + Sigma 35 Art @ f2.8

TEAM KEN

Can someone give me advice on which cord I need to connect one of my Godox batteries , to my Nissan DI700?
And suggest a good place to get it, please.
Thanks in advance.

Ken

dmward

I got a replacement unit from Minox for the one that quit flashing. It arrived Friday so I had 4 units for my wedding job Saturday. I ended up doing the job with a single Di700a either in hotshoe bounced or in an S bracket through an umbrella with Air on camera.