The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

dmward

Im really confused by this product is this a new version with hot shoe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIXEL-KING-...063712?hash=item25b1e06760:g:0FcAAOSwAKxWVfL-
The picture in that link is the Canon version. HERE is a link with the picture of the Sony shoed version. That's why the adapter to the new version hotshoe is required.
There is a PC to mini-jack cable that plugs into the Cheetah/Godox mini-jack sync connection.

The links I posted are from my order history on Amazon. They are the items I used for the test. Works like a charm.

dmward

HERE is a blog post I just put up about doing headshots with Nissin Di700a and Commander. I used three Di700a speedlites in M mode. Camera was A7RII with Batis 85 F1.8.

This is the first time I tried Face Detect Auto Focus. What a pleasant surprise. It never missed. Now I have to figure out how to do eye auto focus.

dmward

Guy, Avoid. It is very similar to the Phottix crap I wasted my money on. There is no real TTL! It is "through TTL". An expensive flash extension!
Not sure what "through TTL" is. The purpose, at least for me, using the Pixel Kings is to have a trigger on the camera that communicates to the camera that it has an HSS capable flash unit in the hot shoe. This permits selecting shutter speeds greater than X Sync and also has the camera send the fire signal based on FP sync rather than X sync. The result is ability to use strobes in either "HyperSync" or H mode.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea it be nice to use the AD360 in HSS mode for when I need more power than the Nissin in that mode. I'll pick up that trigger as well just to have that option. Be good for like groups and the Nissin is good for more single person work cause you can get the flash closer

Guy Mancuso

I got a family to shoot outside tomorrow and I'll go with the Godox for it but bringing my Nissin too in case I change my mind.

dmward

I got a family to shoot outside tomorrow and I'll go with the Godox for it but bringing my Nissin too in case I change my mind.
Guy,

This was shot with two Di700a speedlites inside an umbrella frame softbox:

The camera and lights were set to HSS. I don't remember exactly what the setting were but I think it was firing in HSS.

Not quite the same as AZ sun but still bright.

I do love the Sony A7RII for large rich files that can be processed without concern.

I have a collection of ND filters but have never found them to be a practical solution when shooting weddings and portrait sessions.

This was shot with a Canon 5DIII, Cells IIc trigger in H mode on a bright sunny day. Now, with Pixel King triggers we can do the same thing with an A7RII.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David, these look great. I just have not shot with th GoDox yet and want to try them but your right the Nissin would be better. I'm worried about power output 15 people . I do want those triggers though for the Godox than it would be far easier.

dmward

Thanks David, these look great. I just have not shot with th GoDox yet and want to try them but your right the Nissin would be better. I'm worried about power output 15 people . I do want those triggers though for the Godox than it would be far easier.
Guy,
15 people are a challenge.

HERE is one shot with a single 360 and the ambient light.

This was shot at normal X sync speed. I may have stopped down a bit which is normal for a larger group.

JMaher

Guy,

For 15 people I would go with the 360. The Nissin are great lights but they are not powerhouses.
Jim

JMaher

HERE is an Amazon link to triggers.

HERE is Amazon link to the hot shoe adapter.
David,

How does this compare to the Odin triggers? They seem to work fine and do ETTL as well with a Sony flash. I don't really need the ETTl anymore since I sold my Minolta units to go with the Nissin but it's interesting to know. I am really interested in how they perform in comparison to the Odin in High Speed Sync. I have the Godox 360 and 180 as well as an Adorama Rovelight that will all do HSS with the Odin. I might sell the Odin if these are a better solution. They are obviously more cost efficient.

(Thanks for the examples you posted by the way)

Jim

dmward

David,

How does this compare to the Odin triggers? They seem to work fine and do ETTL as well with a Sony flash. I don't really need the ETTl anymore since I sold my Minolta units to go with the Nissin but it's interesting to know. I am really interested in how they perform in comparison to the Odin in High Speed Sync. I have the Godox 360 and 180 as well as an Adorama Rovelight that will all do HSS with the Odin. I might sell the Odin if these are a better solution. They are obviously more cost efficient.

(Thanks for the examples you posted by the way)

Jim
Jim,
I don't have the Odin so can't make a comparison based on experience. The one advantage the Odin offers is its ability to set the FP-Sync timing. This is useful for optimizing the use of the flash tail with strobes. Since my main interest is using H mode with the Cheetah/Godox bare bulb flashes that's not a concern. They use IGBT to control power so the H mode "flat burn" high freq strobing doesn't need the timing.

Guy Mancuso

Wow these Godox units are far better than I thought. I'll go over my shoot later but they are tremendous out in the field. Very impressed

Guy Mancuso

Jim,
I don't have the Odin so can't make a comparison based on experience. The one advantage the Odin offers is its ability to set the FP-Sync timing. This is useful for optimizing the use of the flash tail with strobes. Since my main interest is using H mode with the Cheetah/Godox bare bulb flashes that's not a concern. They use IGBT to control power so the H mode "flat burn" high freq strobing doesn't need the timing.
David in H mode are we limited to power range with the Pixel Kings. Can we do full power let's say and sync higher with no issues. Today I was pumping almost full power on two 360 units and they did great with the standard remotes supplied but it would have been really nice to knock down the sun more at say like 1/1000 which would drop the sun down 2 stops.

Second question could we still keep our Godox receivers in to adjust power with transmitter in hand than shoot with Pixel Kings. That way we can adjust power from the transmitter in your pocket or so.

dmward

David in H mode are we limited to power range with the Pixel Kings. Can we do full power let's say and sync higher with no issues. Today I was pumping almost full power on two 360 units and they did great with the standard remotes supplied but it would have been really nice to knock down the sun more at say like 1/1000 which would drop the sun down 2 stops.

Second question could we still keep our Godox receivers in to adjust power with transmitter in hand than shoot with Pixel Kings. That way we can adjust power from the transmitter in your pocket or so.
Guy,
What I found when testing with Canon camera and confirmed with Sony and Pixel King is that the Cheetah/Godox 360 has a long enough flash duration at full power to use in FP sync mode. Then changing to H mode, which effectively halves the output at 1:1, and downward to 1:8 power the FP sync works as expected and is close to linear.

To answer your specific question, yes you could go above X sync at full power using the Pixel Kings.

Definitely keep the Cheetah/Godox receivers installed for remote power control.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David really appreciate this. Hate to keep asking you questions but I have one more. Are you using a sync cord for the pixel kings at the Godox end or have you tried the hot shoe.

dmward

Guy,
It has to be a PC cable since the hot shoe on the Pixel King is the old style Sony hot shoe and the Cheetah/Godox has a "normal" style hot foot.

Don't concern yourself with the questions. Happy to pass along what I've learned if its helpful.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David. I guess we could maybe use a adapter on each head. I could put my hot shoes back on the AD360. I took them off for space reasons

Im actually thinking if this all works of selling one Nissin. Im more apt to using the Godox for everything except on camera stuff and there I use a Nissin and hook it up to battery pack on hip. Thats really the only place TTL makes sense. Ill keep the air commander unit so I can still take it off camera. Noodling this as even a backup Nissin is nice to have around.