The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

dmward

Guy,
Here is something that might work. Its designed to fire the Cheetah/Godox lights from the camera PC connection but I don't see why it wouldn't work from the PC connection on the Pixel trigger to offer FP sync. It needs to be tested to confirm.

I just ordered one to try it. If it works I'll let you know. If not I'll send it back to Edward and suggest they modify it so it will work with FP-sync.

Another option is getting an adapter to put on the Pixel trigger and put the normal Cheetah/Godox trigger on it. That should work as well.

Quentin_Bargate

Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

Wow that's frightening! ;)

Any issues with HSS? Look like it works pretty well on and off camera. Annoyed the Sony branded flashes won't do HSS if you tilt or swivel the head.

Well when in doubt do a bloody selfie. LOL

So off camera flash with Air 1 commander just hold pilot light 3 seconds on Air commander than you can dial in your shutter speeds. Could not be easier

1/5000 at F4

JMaher

Im actually thinking if this all works of selling one Nissin. Im more apt to using the Godox for everything except on camera stuff and there I use a Nissin and hook it up to battery pack on hip. Thats really the only place TTL makes sense. Ill keep the air commander unit so I can still take it off camera. Noodling this as even a backup Nissin is nice to have around.
I use my Godox lights extensively but it's nice having 2 of the Nissin units as well. I was shooting our Christmas card this morning and it was much easier to set up 2 ETTL lights. Alright maybe not much easier but quicker and I didn't need perfection.

Jim

JMaher

Both the Nissin and Godox do HSS off camera. For Niisin you need their Air Commander. For Godox You need either a set of Odin triggers or Pixel KIng's.

gregt1310

Found the Cables here 35 dollars. Than I can buy a used pack. Save a few dollars

http://www.amazon.com/Flashpoint-Bl...6743854&sr=1-2&keywords=Flashpoint+sony+cable

What do you think
Guy - thank you for all of this great info! Found this forum on one of your posts on fredmiranda.com

Question - I have an old Quantum Turbo SC that I used with my Canon flashes. Now that I have converted to Sony, will this cable work with my Nissin flash and Quantum battery pack?

Thanks again,
Greg

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Greg I am almost certain the cable would work from Quantuam . They use that same connector to pack. I'm not sure about to the flash though. Canon looks to be different style

dmward

Guy - thank you for all of this great info! Found this forum on one of your posts on fredmiranda.com

Question - I have an old Quantum Turbo SC that I used with my Canon flashes. Now that I have converted to Sony, will this cable work with my Nissin flash and Quantum battery pack?

Thanks again,
Greg
Greg, if the question you're asking is if the Quantum Turbo battery will work, the answer is a qualified yes.
It appears that all these external battery packs feed 300+ volts to the speedlite. It also appears that the speedlite voltage filter on the external power connector is flexible enough to accept just about any battery that offers the high voltage output.

As Guy points out, all the cables have proprietary connections at the speedlite end. The battery end is common to many batteries.

dmward

Here is a compatibility update for those interested:
I got one of these from Cheetah Stand.
It has a mini-jack in the side. The mini-jack connects the included cable to the Pixel King Sony TTL tigger and then will fire all the Cheetah/Godox lights in regular or H mode.

Guy Mancuso

David my brain is not working. So use the Pixel King transmitter on the camera. Use the Pixel King receiver on the AD360 or do you use the standard ones we have. Than this plugs into on the Pixel King.

Maybe give us a run down if you can. I have not bought the Pixel kings yet

dmward

David my brain is not working. So use the Pixel King transmitter on the camera. Use the Pixel King receiver on the AD360 or do you use the standard ones we have. Than this plugs into on the Pixel King.

Maybe give us a run down if you can. I have not bought the Pixel kings yet
Pixel King on camera via adapter.
Pixel King receiver plugged into the CL-Tx Pro with PC to mini-jack cable provided.
CL/Godox FT-16 receivers on lights.

The Pixel King to CL-Tx-Pro connection is is essentially a signal converter from Pixel King to Cheetah/Godox. The key is that it supports FP-Sync so the Cheetah/Godox lights can be used in H mode at shutter speeds greater than x sync.

In my view, this is easier than using ND filters to get wide open apertures outside in bright light.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David. Im going to wait till I get back from my big gig in January and get all this stuff or things may change a little by than. I can use the conventional remotes for this gig since its indoors stuff.

dmward

Thanks David. Im going to wait till I get back from my big gig in January and get all this stuff or things may change a little by than. I can use the conventional remotes for this gig since its indoors stuff.
Guy,
The only reason to use the Pixel King trigger is to get FP-sync. If you're going to be shooting at x sync or below then the normal Cheetah/Godox CL-Tx is the way to do. I use two of them, one on the camera and one in hand to adjust power remotely.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I need a second one for January. I have 2 shooters doing a Red Carpet event for me so I do need a second and I like the idea for one in my pocket when it's just me.

dmward

Guy,
Are you both going to be using the same lights? I've done that, providing each is 1/4 power of less its unlikely that you'll step on each other and lose a shot without light. Especially if you're using the Y cable on the battery.

Other option is to set one group of lights to one channel using dip switches and another group to another channel.

Guy Mancuso

Yea I'll use different channels . One light per shooter at 1/4 power so they can fly as fast as they want. With Y adapter in each

dmward

Yea I'll use different channels . One light per shooter at 1/4 power so they can fly as fast as they want. With Y adapter in each
I did a test once, just for fun, with the a CL-360 at 1/4 using slow continuous. My recollection is that the light kept up. Way faster than needed for what you're doing.

Interesting development. One of my Di700As just died.

Same symptoms as others reported here - powers on, looks normal, just doesn't fire. Also, it's the flash unit which came bundled with the Air controller. So Guy's speculation about it being early units that fail may be on the mark. In any case, waiting to hear from Minox USA about how to get it fixed/replaced.

dmward

Mike,
As Guy says, Minox is good about support. They sent me a replacement quickly.

On a completely different topic, since this thread was expanded to include the Godox products.

Godox has now introduced a version of their lights that include TTL. They will be including a Sony version later this spring. The best part of this is that the newest light is a 600Ws unit the AD600.

It's design includes an extension cable/head that plugs into the tube socket on the body, with the tube then plugged into the head to permit removing the weight from the top of the stand or for handholding.

There are also manual versions.

They are also adding Sony support to the X1 trigger system which does the remote TTL. And making a version of the F-16 receivers that will work with the X1 trigger so the existing lights can be upgraded with the new receivers to play in the new environment.