The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII - Nissin Di700a /Godox AD360 Systems wireless flash

krugorg

Re: A7rII and Nissin Di700a wireless flash

Did anyone happen to check how fast the Nissin will sync (not HSS)?

I am using the latest Yongnuo wireless transmitters and I can only get to about 1/160 with my A7.

rhern213

Hey Guy,

It doesn't have an Auto mode with the front mounted light sensor correct? Only fully manual?

I need to replace my SB-800 and was looking for something with P-TTL for the Sony, and an Auto mode for the Phase.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Did anyone happen to check how fast the Nissin will sync (not HSS)?

I am using the latest Yongnuo wireless transmitters and I can only get to about 1/160 with my A7.
First thing I checked 1/250 with the A7rII

Guy Mancuso

Hey Guy,

It doesn't have an Auto mode with the front mounted light sensor correct? Only fully manual?

I need to replace my SB-800 and was looking for something with P-TTL for the Sony, and an Auto mode for the Phase.
It has TTL both on camera and with air commander. I used TTL with the above shots but I dialed it down 1/2 stop so it does not look like flash. This is full featured

dmward

There is an A mode when the flash is on the camera, but not when its off camera. That would be relatively difficult to engineer.

I also got 1/250th before it switched to HSS.

My recollection is that if HSS is not turned on on the speedlite, the camera does not offer shutter speeds above 1/250.

If you're talking about the old-fashioned sort of 'auto' mode (i.e. like a Vivitar 283), where you told the flash what ISO and aperture you're using and it controls the light output based on a sensor on the flash, then no, it doesn't have that. (which is a little surprising actually)

It does have pretty easy manual control over the light output, so it might be useable on your other camera.

mark1958

Nissin amongst different formats

If you use a Sony Air controller does it matter which particular Di700A flash unit is used. Let me explain. I have both Nikon and Sony--- if i were to purchase two flash units--- I could order two kits-- one with the Sony and one with the Nikon controller--- that way if i want to use a single on camera flash-- I have one both for Sony and one for the Nikon? And then i could use dual flashes in wireless mode.

If you're talking about the old-fashioned sort of 'auto' mode (i.e. like a Vivitar 283), where you told the flash what ISO and aperture you're using and it controls the light output based on a sensor on the flash, then no, it doesn't have that. (which is a little surprising actually)

It does have pretty easy manual control over the light output, so it might be useable on your other camera.

Last edited:

dmward

Re: Nissin amongst different formats

If you use a Sony Air controller does it matter which particular Di700A flash unit is used. Let me explain. I have both Nikon and Sony--- if i were to purchase two flash units--- I could order two kits-- one with the Sony and one with the Nikon controller--- that way if i want to use a single on camera flash-- I have one both for Sony and one for the Nikon?
Mark,
My suspicion is that it does make a difference if you want to use TTL.
Sony and Nikon each have their own proprietary protocols for controlling flash in TTL mode. I doubt that the flash or controller will be smart enough to know how to use them together.

In Manual, presuming the Sony Commander will talk to a Nikon Di700a it should work fine.

mark1958

Re: Nissin amongst different formats

I guess that makes sense but too bad. :)

Mark,
My suspicion is that it does make a difference if you want to use TTL.
Sony and Nikon each have their own proprietary protocols for controlling flash in TTL mode. I doubt that the flash or controller will be smart enough to know how to use them together.

In Manual, presuming the Sony Commander will talk to a Nikon Di700a it should work fine.

Guy Mancuso

In stock at b&h . I need just the flash. Hope there still around next week when I get some cash

JMaher

Mine say in process. Looking forward to trying this.

Guy Mancuso

I grabbed one. Afraid it may not be available next week. So this gives me two to work with. Now just need to figure out how to separate them via the air commander so I can control power. Manual sucks

Guy Mancuso

Oh I'm dead serious. My dog ate the air commander manual. I kid you not.

Guy Mancuso

Don't you mean your 'former' dog?
It's going to be real soon. Golden 11 month puppy Mike and she has literally destroyed our home . My baseboards and some door frames she has chewed up and about 5 places scratched the walls really bad. This is caused a major discussion in the house. It's my 18 year old sons. This continue I'll throw them both out on there ***. Lol

iiiNelson

Oh I'm dead serious. My dog ate the air commander manual. I kid you not.
Nissin usually has online manuals that you can download and store on your PDF Reader or Phone. I usually do this personally.

dmward

I grabbed one. Afraid it may not be available next week. So this gives me two to work with. Now just need to figure out how to separate them via the air commander so I can control power. Manual sucks
Guy,
Once you link them to the commander and designate them as A, B or C the power, and configuration control are done on the commander.

My recollection, without digging one out of the bag, is that, when selecting the wireless icon on the speedlite you are then given the option to designate the group.

That done. You are finished with the speedlite. Selecting TTL or M mode if done with the commander. That is also where power and zoom are set.

After doing it a couple of times its quite easy.