The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII Owners - List Your MINOR Complaints!

dandrewk

We all know the major complaints (lossy RAW, etc), few as they are. But after owning the camera for a week, what are the minor ones that bug you? Here are couple of mine.

1. 42 mpx, what a luxury! Shooting in APSC mode gives us a 1.5 crop factor, so the 70-200 now reaches to 300mm! The tradeoff to 18 mpx is much more doable than it ever was for the 24 mpx - 10 mpx.

However, the menu item to activate APSC is buried in the menu system. There is no option to add it to the function menu or custom keys. Please Sony, add this option in a firmware update!

2. This one won't be fixed - Look at the front of the camera, what do you see? It say "A7r"! When I first opened the box, I thought they had packed the wrong camera. The backside of the camera shows different. Why couldn't they affix that label to the front as well?

Yeah, I know, it's totally superficial. What's inside is what counts. It just seems so odd they used a generic identification when they easily could have shown the version. The A7II is not similarly "afflicted".

Jim DE

I noticed the badging issue right off and went on the web to see if any of the pics of the body had the II on them.... they don't.

I guess I got used to diving in menus with the NEX line so I just go ahead and do it but I guess it would make sense that the apc option could be assigned to a control.

My only minor complaint is my FE glass wants right now are currently more than my wallet can support ... :(

:)

rupho

For tethered shooting the mini USB plug occupies the same port as my Remote radio trigger . I wish there was a work around to shoot tethered and use my radio trigger. Sony s own IR trigger is only good for selfies and a cable shutter release is not an option. Does anybody know for to transmit RAW wirelessly to a laptop?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It is getting so close to my perfect camera that I really can't complain. I have never been enthusiastic about my 70-200 f/4 lens, but it just sings on this body. I haven't had time to work my way through all of my lenses, but can't wait to see how they perform.

I did notice the badging on the front and thought it very strange.

I tried to assign the APS-C function to a button and was disappointed that I couldn't. Hopefully they can rectify that in an update. It is an annoyance, but not really a complaint.

Owen

For tethered shooting the mini USB plug occupies the same port as my Remote radio trigger . I wish there was a work around to shoot tethered and use my radio trigger. Sony s own IR trigger is only good for selfies and a cable shutter release is not an option.
This is currently my #1 problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I use C1 with capture pilot but in practice it's just too slow. I was thinking about buying the Meike battery grip in hope that the wireless shutter control was of more use than the Sony version, does anyone have any experience with it?

Owen

Yep, too slow and clunky. Having a pocket wizard clipped to your belt means that you can quickly capture frames as you're setting up the composition and also be very precise with timing when people walk by, or simply sit nearby with a coffee and wait for the action to happen without lurking menacingly behind the camera. C1 has a delay in triggering the camera so it's of less use too. I shoot interiors and architecture so it's really important. If the camera isn't tethered then it's not a problem.

I'd love to be able to set APS-C mode with a custom button too. A custom menu of frequently used functions (such as the one Canon uses) would be great and also simple firmware. Couldn't they just outsource their interface to someone more capable as an open source or after market option? You could use the Sony version, or install Adobe's or Phase's. USB 3 would be a nice addition too but guess it would increase the size of the camera very slightly (also not a bad thing in my view)

Chris Giles

I've got one - Auto Review on the monitor only. Not the finder. Otherwise very happy.

Ben
Amen

and a way to urn the EVF on sensitivity right down. Loupe users will be most happy along with a joystick to select af points with.

pegelli

1. 42 mpx, what a luxury! Shooting in APSC mode gives us a 1.5 crop factor, so the 70-200 now reaches to 300mm! The tradeoff to 18 mpx is much more doable than it ever was for the 24 mpx - 10 mpx.

However, the menu item to activate APSC is buried in the menu system. There is no option to add it to the function menu or custom keys. Please Sony, add this option in a firmware update!
My "minor complaint" is that I don't have one, but seriously thinking about getting one.

I liked the comment in one of the early reviews that the A7rII was the camera to use when you were too drunk to set the correct exposure, because all could be fixed in post. So your first minor complaint can add to that, if you're too drunk to aim you can always crop to APS-C in post (and it doesn't have to be in the middle, like the standard camera APS-C crop mode) :LOL:

Viramati

I also agree on the apsc mode being in the function menu would be useful as it was on of the things I tried to do in vain when setting the camera up.

elitegroup

For tethered shooting the mini USB plug occupies the same port as my Remote radio trigger . I wish there was a work around to shoot tethered and use my radio trigger. Sony s own IR trigger is only good for selfies and a cable shutter release is not an option. Does anybody know for to transmit RAW wirelessly to a laptop?
I don't know if this is any help but I've read on another forum Live View through HDMI is world's better than C1Pro. This frees up the mini USB port for your remote trigger.
You could also connect into a SmallHD DP4 with a wireless HDMI transmitter attached... sending the signal to a larger field monitor for art directors etc.

Owen

I don't know if this is any help but I've read on another forum Live View through HDMI is world's better than C1Pro. This frees up the mini USB port for your remote trigger.
You could also connect into a SmallHD DP4 with a wireless HDMI transmitter attached... sending the signal to a larger field monitor for art directors etc.
As far as I know HDMI is only for monitor output and so doesn't allow tethering...? Would love to be wrong on this.

BTW, Stefan's hcam master TS works perfectly with the mkii, have just finished the first shoot with it. A permanent addition to my setup.

douglaspboyd

No complaints here!

For me this is the perfect camera that I had always imagined starting from the 1940s with a 120 folders and a view camera. ISO 100,000- check, 42 mp to match 4x5 b&w film- check, 4K pro video- check, fast manual focus <.5s- check, auto focus for many lenses-- check. What more to want?
--Doug

Amin

My dealer says my A7RII will arrive today. Can't wait to have some minor complaints!

Jim DE

Re: No complaints here!

For me this is the perfect camera that I had always imagined starting from the 1940s with a 120 folders and a view camera. ISO 100,000- check, 42 mp to match 4x5 b&w film- check, 4K pro video- check, fast manual focus <.5s- check, auto focus for many lenses-- check. What more to want?
--Doug
New minor complaint.... carpal tunnel from checking too many wants and needs boxes :)