The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII Owners - List Your MINOR Complaints!

Stefan Steib

If anything - why is it so difficult to get a bigger battery ? An NPF550 would be probably too much, but halfway ?
And: when someone wants to make a batterygrip: why not use bigger batteries as well ? Plus: when will there be a batterygrip where the originally installed
battery can stay in place and the grip just plugs in with external contacts ? Also: as Panasonic does it with the GH 4: a grip has plenty of additional space for Plugs,
I want additional large HDMI, Video outs for a monitor, Mics, maybe a GPS module as an addon , a wifi booster and all kind of goodies that could be crammed into this space.

I want an open source SDK for the Apps of the Sony. Document the interfaces and how to use them,

And finally: Ceterum censeo MULTISHOT SENSORSHIFT ! (see Olympus)

I WANT. I WANT . I DEMAND.............SONY....... PLEASE !!!!!!

:cool:

V

Vivek

If anything - why is it so difficult to get a bigger battery ? An NPF550 would be probably too much, but halfway ?
And: when someone wants to make a batterygrip: why not use bigger batteries as well ? Plus: when will there be a batterygrip where the originally installed
battery can stay in place and the grip just plugs in with external contacts ? Also: as Panasonic does it with the GH 4: a grip has plenty of additional space for Plugs,
I want additional large HDMI, Video outs for a monitor, Mics, maybe a GPS module as an addon , a wifi booster and all kind of goodies that could be crammed into this space.

I want an open source SDK for the Apps of the Sony. Document the interfaces and how to use them,

And finally: Ceterum censeo MULTISHOT SENSORSHIFT ! (see Olympus)

I WANT. I WANT . I DEMAND.............SONY....... PLEASE !!!!!!

I would like the grip used for better thermal management (ie. Cooling the sensor).

Stefan Steib

Leaf had Peltier cooling 20 Years ago. I wonder if it would n´t be possible to do something like this again - and yes - that is a flaw.
Obviously after 20 minutes of 4k recording in a row, the camera heats up. Depends on the display also, but hey, using the battery grip for this is a good idea Vivek !

V

Vivek

Leaf had Peltier cooling 20 Years ago. I wonder if it would n´t be possible to do something like this again - and yes - that is a flaw.
Obviously after 20 minutes of 4k recording in a row, the camera heats up. Depends on the display also, but hey, using the battery grip for this is a good idea Vivek !
Stefan, I am working on a few types (for my use). When something works, I will post it here and hope someone will pick it up for commercial production.

dchew

I picked mine up today. I think this camera will last a good long time!

1. Related to Stephan's battery comment: Sony's had two years to work on battery capacity, but they are exactly the same as the original a7r batteries - 1020mAh.

2. I noticed it took 3 pages in the manual to display all the icons, so I thought why not? I counted them: 265. Plus or minus a dozen, my eyes got blurry.

3. The 24 Elmar still stinks in the corners, but I kinda expected that. I guess there is a Batis in my future.

4. I still can't manual focus FE lenses. They seem to have a mind of their own - I swear turning the focus ring sometimes does very little and sometimes does a lot.

5. The a7r RRS plate doesn't work at all; not even close. Placed an order for the new one but they are backordered. :(

Dave

Annna T

I picked mine up today. I think this camera will last a good long time!

4. I still can't manual focus FE lenses. They seem to have a mind of their own - I swear turning the focus ring sometimes does very little and sometimes does a lot.

Dave
This is a feature of focus by wire : the faster you turn the focus ring, the faster the focus distance change and the slower you turn it, the less it change. I find it confusing too.

dchew

Thanks Anna. I'm glad my Jeep doesn't work that way; I'd run people over.

It just goes slow no matter what I do with the skinny pedal. :p

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is a feature of focus by wire : the faster you turn the focus ring, the faster the focus distance change and the slower you turn it, the less it change. I find it confusing too.
My trick now in focusing is . Have camera in MF use the back button to AF real quick than hit my 12x zoom (C1)and fine tune manually from there. Why because the AF is either dead on or damn close and I'm already at the focus distance so it's really a matter of a fine tune than a sweeping MF movement. Makes it very quick and if you have these AF fly by wire lenses take advantage of the quick AF. Works real nice with both Batis lenses. The other part is say you switched to a manual lens than your already setup for it.

I also turn off the auto focus fly by wire stuff when touching the lens. That drives me crazy

jlm

Workshop Member
here's one:
using a lens with aperture control on the lens: when in manual mode and showing histogram, as you set shutter speed, the histogram disappears, replaced by the shutter speed info bar.

so you set shutter, tap shutter button to show histo, reset shutter, recheck histo, etc, shuttling back and forth

Last edited:

dchew

Just to put this all into perspective, after a few hours with the a7rII I picked up my a7r: Boy was that shutter release in a weird spot!

Ignoring the technology improvements, the haptics alone might be worth the upgrade.

Dave

Quentin_Bargate

The Meike third party power pack has its own wireless remote release included, as well as a intervalometer. It costs about the same a modest takeaway meal for 2, much less than the Sony branded model and is pretty high quality. Might deal with a couple of minor issues.

DennisHHH

Include the ability to save all settings to an SD card, nothing like having to replace a camera and re-due all your settings. Please tell me it's already there!

dchew

My trick now in focusing is . Have camera in MF use the back button to AF real quick than hit my 12x zoom (C1)and fine tune manually from there. Why because the AF is either dead on or damn close and I'm already at the focus distance so it's really a matter of a fine tune than a sweeping MF movement. Makes it very quick and if you have these AF fly by wire lenses take advantage of the quick AF. Works real nice with both Batis lenses. The other part is say you switched to a manual lens than your already setup for it.

I also turn off the auto focus fly by wire stuff when touching the lens. That drives me crazy
So Guy, I want to try this but I cannot make it work as you describe. I set C2* to "Focus Magnifier" and the AF/MF button to "AF On". With the 55 mounted, if I set the camera to MF, then it doesn't autofocus when I push the AF/MF button, but C2 does zoom in like it should. If I set the camera to AF, then it does focus if and only if I hit the AF/MF button. But now when I hit C2 it says setting not available in AF-single shot mode. I get that warning regardless of AF-S, AF-A, AF-C or DMF.

What am I doing wrong? I have Pre-AF Off and AF w/shutter OFF.
??

Dave

*I'm using C2 vs C1 because that button is easier for me to reach.

Guy Mancuso

okay focus magnifier to C2
AF/MF is AF/MF is Control Hold. Not AF on

Oh and the switch you want on AF/MF on body than just punch the center button. It should AF for you and whatever you set on AFS as far as size of AF square or whatever thats what will show

So now in Manual focus mode , you should be able to hit that center button and it should AF for you. Do that than hit C2 and fine tune and you should be ready to shoot.

jlm

Workshop Member
hmmm..

I use C1 to toggle MF AF; then i have focus mag on C2, hit it once for 5x, twice for 12x.

C4 is for iso, C3 is steady shot toggle

somehow i thought the AF/MF lever or button would toggle MF and AF, but no. not sure i get what that button is for: looks like the lever can select either AF/MF or AE (i assume that is for the 1/2 shutter press lock, but what about the button?

on another front, found this oddness:
putting on the 55FE and i get the focus box right in the center (i have it set that way), but when i put on the 135 A mount with metabones adapter in AF i get the array of focus boxes

dchew

Thanks Guy,
That works!

John,
I think the AF/MF - AEL switch is a dual switch, like Canon always does (or used to do). If you have the lever up, the button's std meaning is AF/MF. If you have the lever down and push the button it does AEL.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Guy,
That works!

John,
I think the AF/MF - AEL switch is a dual switch, like Canon always does (or used to do). If you have the lever up, the button's std meaning is AF/MF. If you have the lever down and push the button it does AEL.

Dave
Yes that is correct

Lets bring these custom and function questions over to the new thread. I think this thread will mean a lot to folks how to get setup in this very complicated menu system.